Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Can't complain about the scene in Rotterdam. And the scene in Holland is also pretty good!

Yuma, Arizona

horrid....HORRID! I think there's like what; four of us all together? It use to be five but the other one moved away. Random came to town not too long ago from SD for shit's and giggles I guess but it was a one time gig. Out of the four of us remaining (that are currently known) two are heavily underground; me and this other guy who I know by name, not by handle. And two brothers who are separate acts: 10SPD, and Ianflux. Shit sucks man...I'm dying to do a show; things continue this way I may go bananas and do a flash mob. Either that or wait till I move back to Cali, but waiting for that would be a sinking ship of my ambitions.

IL, US

im guessing giveupnewyork is no longer active or left arizona then?

Nottingham, UK
RotterBram wrote:

Can't complain about the scene in Rotterdam. And the scene in Holland is also pretty good!

I'm going to be spending a lot of time in rotterdam in the near future, have been already the last few months. Any recommendations?

Rotterdam, the Netherlands
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:
RotterBram wrote:

I'm going to be spending a lot of time in rotterdam in the near future, have been already the last few months. Any recommendations?

Worm http://www.worm.org & Roodkapje (it's closed till May) http://www.roodkapje.org

New Albany Indiana

Indiana: No one is around

1950 D.A wrote:

horrid....HORRID! I think there's like what; four of us all together? It use to be five but the other one moved away. Random came to town not too long ago from SD for shit's and giggles I guess but it was a one time gig. Out of the four of us remaining (that are currently known) two are heavily underground; me and this other guy who I know by name, not by handle. And two brothers who are separate acts: 10SPD, and Ianflux. Shit sucks man...I'm dying to do a show; things continue this way I may go bananas and do a flash mob. Either that or wait till I move back to Cali, but waiting for that would be a sinking ship of my ambitions.

Yuma is a small town so it's not surprising that it's horrid.  I think there's one person here in Tucson who does chip and I do chip when I can (school, work, and the wife take up a lot of time) but I did do a set at a house party in 2011.  What about in Phoenix?  Phoenix isn't far so that can still be considered local?  There aren't people there doing chip?  I know a guy who has a good PA system that is a DJ and party promoter that might help set up a show here in Tucson if there was enough interest.

Last edited by nerdsome (Feb 4, 2013 3:54 pm)

Geneseo, IL
e.s.c. wrote:

im guessing giveupnewyork is no longer active or left arizona then?

Last I knew, he gave his Nanoloop cart to my friend while they were on the same plane to Arizona.
I believe he's still there.

Yuma, Arizona

He might very well be, Yuma however is in an isolated corner between a border, and hard place. It would be killer to go up to phoenix or tuscon to do a show. But it seems like I have not find an audience that has positively responded to my sounds. I either hear its too downtempo/ambiant for a club, or too hyphy/industrial and is not mellow enough for an audience to tolerate; so I've steadily been losing confidence to promote myself, especially out of town. I wouldn't know the first place to start, or where I should even begin looking. Last I knew phoenix had (somewhat of) a chiptune artist that I knew by the name of Milk:Blood. I met him when I was 14  back in 04'; when I brought up chiptune he had no idea what I was talking about. I told him his menacing tunes reminded me of columns meets beethoven to which he responded," I'll show you my column! But seriously I don't know what your talking about". All of his music was mainly composed through a pc and a few synths with a handful of midi-plug ins. It sounded like hardcore GG or SMS built instrumentation, it was the first 8bit-esque music I heard before I even discovered it, which then lead me to discover Bit-Shifter, Nullsleep, Random.SE, Sabrepulse and all those other pioneers. I might try to do something soon; a venue just opened promoting local talent but I'm not quite sure how to approach them with my style/genre.

Yuma, Arizona
nerdsome wrote:

I do chip when I can (school, work, and the wife take up a lot of time) but I did do a set at a house party in 2011.

Same here, and let me just say the wife isn't that supportive since we've married. So I go to school, get out and go to work, then go home to the wife and do homework. However, I wake up at 5am in the morning and "silently" poor myself a cup of ambition to work on my craft until she wakes up around 10. It's brutal but so far it's the only way I can, without starting a fight. When I ask her to hear something new I've been working on, she usually responds with," How long is it"?

I feel your pain sir.

Last edited by 1950 D.A (Feb 7, 2013 6:11 am)

Los Angeles, CA

The Los Angeles community is becoming pretty awesome. There is a pretty good base of people who are super supportive, friendly, respectful and generally just want to play music and have a good time. It's difficult sometimes, though. The nature of LA in general is that everything is incredibly spread out and everyone is wrapped up in their own lives. This translates to the chip scene as well at times. It can be hard to get people to come out to shows simply because they're busy or it's not in their part of town. I'm even guilty of this now that I'm almost two hours from downtown LA via public transportation.

The amount of talent out here is fucking astounding. We're probably right behind New York City and Philadelphia with the amount of Blip Fest alumni residing out here (though Mr. Spastic recently left us). Despite this, the chip scene has mostly been restricted to warehouse parties and small art spaces that never last. With the Frequency chip music festival that myself and my friend Jesse from 1000 Needles run, we're definitely trying to step it up a bit and help put Los Angeles on the chipmusic map. The one we most recently did had the biggest turn out at any LA chip show I've ever been to that didn't have Anamanaguchi on the bill (around 120 people per night), which is definitely a step in the right direction.

At least 2 people were convinced to start with LSDJ after Nintendoom. I received messages asking where to get carts and how to make bassdrums.

Another year or two and we'll have a Belgian scene. All thanks to nordloef, x critical strike x, sabrepulse, chipzel, wiklund and fantomenk!

Anahiem, CA

Living in the LA area, I'd say I'm pretty lucky. There are a bunch of people that produce, hold shows, and are just awesome guys and gals. It is hard to break into if you are really busy though. Since I'm full time college student in an advanced program, its difficult to find time to attend a bunch of shows and make connections to get my name out for future shows/get my music around.

Overall though, its pretty damn awesome out here.

Seattle, WA US

Ours was real cool but now its reeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll lame.

This will change

すごいです

Holland
Jotie wrote:

At least 2 people were convinced to start with LSDJ after Nintendoom. I received messages asking where to get carts and how to make bassdrums.

Another year or two and we'll have a Belgian scene. All thanks to nordloef, x critical strike x, sabrepulse, chipzel, wiklund and fantomenk!

People wanting to get in to LSDJ != people actually getting somewhere with it.

In Holland there are actually pretty much people making chipmusic but as far as my own region goes it's only cerror and I.