Rhode Island

ive been trying to get my portman pc/s working for a while now with no avail. let me know if you get it working!

Planet Zaxxon
2PLAYER wrote:

ive been trying to get my portman pc/s working for a while now with no avail. let me know if you get it working!

Are you running it with the power adapter or without?

Rhode Island

i believe i had tried it with and without. ill tinker with it some more soon

Planet Zaxxon

I am going to get one of my windows 98 machines up and running tonight with the sb16 or awe32... and I was gonna try out both the PC/S and PC/P and maybe the MPU-401 setup, I shall report my results.

Last edited by O2star (Mar 4, 2013 8:36 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
O2star wrote:

I am going to get one of my windows 98 machines up and running tonight with the sb16 or awe32... and I was gonna try out both the PC/S and PC/P and maybe the MPU-401 setup, I shall report my results.

Hells Ya! I've been dusting off the Win98 CDs in the last few days for this goofy little all in one PC. I had forgot '98's quirks, seems likes ages ago I switched to XP! (Still holding off the switch to 7 wink Very much like to hear what you find, I don't have a midi interface with the on board AC'97 sound chip.

Whatever I come up with, will have to be external. I was thinking USB, like a midisport 1x1, the drivers are advertised to work with W98, but I'm concerned about lat. issues w/USB and native DOS is out of the question. Sooo, serial or parallel??

I'll post my lists of GOs and NO GOs if anyone wants, but it's specific to the hardware with this I-Opener and the softwarez I have found so far..

Rhode Island

anyone have the windows drivers/pcstest file for the midiman pc/s?

EDIT: got my floppy working.

Last edited by 2PLAYER (Mar 5, 2013 6:35 am)

Planet Zaxxon

ah ok coo.. because I have the factory midiman portman disks too.. well i think it came on a cd. I should make an image or zip of the disk and have it available on the web somewhere.

Rhode Island

They're available on m audios drivers page under legacy/portman. I think it will always show pcp but there's a check box for earlier versions that hides the pcs  and other portman models. I got the pcs functioning properly last night. Even got a PCMCIA wireless card installed and working. Now I just need at2 to grab the incoming midi

Planet Zaxxon

NICE and what are running for an OS again?

Rhode Island
O2star wrote:

Win98. Man the Internet is pitifully slow with this PCMCIA card. Certainly the one thing I don't miss about older tech. Those were indeed simpler times.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
2PLAYER wrote:
O2star wrote:

Win98. Man the Internet is pitifully slow with this PCMCIA card. Certainly the one thing I don't miss about older tech. Those were indeed simpler times.

Not only that, but page content and new HTM really doesn't play well with older browsers. I've loaded older Firefox and MS IE, both are choking on most pages.
There is a project I ran across, http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/about/ an updated kernal for 98. haven't tried it but if it's legit....

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
2PLAYER wrote:

..... Now I just need at2 to grab the incoming midi

I was trying AT2 yesterday, in a native DOS boot,  seems to work but as I don't have a SB board, it stalled on detection. In a DOSbox, my AMD KII @ 400MHZ didn't have enough steam; I gave up after 20min of waiting for the loading to finish. So kind of bummed out.

There are 3 distro packages I found "AT2@dosbox', "AT2 classic "and "AT2 SDL", so I'll try the SDL in a DOSbox next. AT2 also supports a mouse, so you may want to find some DOS mouse drivers.I think there is a Logitech DOS one that is 'generic'.

Rhode Island

ya i run it on a thinkpad 760el running win98 either by booting into dos or straight from the desktop. it recognizes the sb in both cases but in the couple of minutes that i tried it it was expecting midi from the mpu-401 on 330 rather than from my pc/s on 2F8 from com2. at least thats how it seemed at the time, need to poke around some more tonight

Planet Zaxxon

yes the 2 things you need for At2 to load up is most obvious an OPL3 sound card, and a mouse. Also I have found that it does not like it when you use an AGP graphics card.. It freaks out after 5-10 mins of use, with display issues. Any PCI video card I have tried never had any issues and worked 100 percent. And I have tried 4 different AGP cards, and 4 different motherboards to confirm this as well.. heh

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
O2star wrote:

yes the 2 things you need for At2 to load up is most obvious an OPL3 sound card, and a mouse. Also I have found that it does not like it when you use an AGP graphics card.. It freaks out after 5-10 mins of use, with display issues. Any PCI video card I have tried never had any issues and worked 100 percent. And I have tried 4 different AGP cards, and 4 different motherboards to confirm this as well.. heh

Is this with a native DOS boot, right? Or within a DOSbox?

Planet Zaxxon

A direct boot to DOS 7.1 only.

DOSbox is SACRILEGE.