IL, US
Mrwimmer wrote:
liquidcalm wrote:

Future of the Left! Yesss. Seen that band so many times

Never have I felt so hollow as when I missed them an hour away from me with Andrew Jackson Jihad.

e.s.c. wrote:

holy shit, annother paper chase fan

Woah!

dauragon's into them too...saw them live almost every tour from the start (first tour they were playing with this hardcore band i like called hero of a hundred fights in chicago)

washington

haha, mostly chip these days. but here are the rest:

lowercase noises
band of skulls
SUNBEARS!
the dead weather
the whigs
the early albums of KoL
the strokes
son house
the white stripes
elbow

babylon

lots of blvck ceiling and death grips this week.

ohio gozaimasu

Bad Religion's "How Could Hell Be Any Worse" (One of my favorite albums ever, but I hate their other stuff)
The Offspring's "Smash" (Same thing; I hate their newer stuff)
The Red Garland Trio
INFNTLP
Shorty Rogers
Murmuüre
Jerry's Kids
Giraffage

Brunswick, GA USA

Besides snips of things here and there, I do most of my recreational listening in the car, and I'm afraid my commute is short. Here are some listens since 2013 started; bearing in mind that I've been looking outside for inspiration lately...

Bill Frisell (and other jazz and blues guitarists, to study how my articulation and sustain ought to sound)
Yeasayer
Ghost Beach
Art of Noise
FALL (an UTAU and Vocaloid producer)

and of course other little bits I'm shown when I'm home, particularly when people ask about their works in progress or put things in my social timelines. The more I work on music, the less time I find for listening, which can make it tougher to explore sounds. I wonder how typical this predicament is, and hope people don't think I'm being cold for admitting such a thing.

Pittsburgh

Justice
Robyn
Cut Copy
Röyksopp
The Postal Service
Tally Hall (really small group)
They Might be Giants

...and some others I can't think of at the moment.

Chicago

cheapchoons are really the only electronic I listen to, other than the breakcore that finds its way in
I mostly listen to every shade of hardcore
As I Lay Dying/ August Burns Red/ Parkway Drive for metalcore
Oceano/ Emmure/ The Acacia Strain/ Those Who Fear for heavy, beatdowny type stuff
Madball/ Terror/ Dynasty for straight hardcore
Heavy Heavy Low Low/ Duck Duck Goose/ The Number Twelve Looks Like You/ The Locust cause you gotta get ur weird on sometimes
and too many other random bands, The Chariot, Norma Jean, A Plea For Purging, Sleeping Giant. If it is hardcore, I've probably heard it and have an opinion
Other music, I listen to a lot of other things here and there.
Edison Glass
Listener
mewithoutYou
Falling Up
Muse
U2
idk, lots of random bands

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
theghostservant wrote:

Heavy Heavy Low Low/ Duck Duck Goose/ The Number Twelve Looks Like You/ The Locust cause you gotta get ur weird on sometimes

you should totes check this band out bro

Grimsby, UK

mainly emo, screamo, indie rock and a little classical guitar.
hopefully it will have a curious yet pleasing effect on the music i produce

my mom's basement

I'm kind of all over the place.

Parov Stelar
Beats Antique
Caravan Palace
Reel Big Fish
The Shins
Pretty Lights
Blackmill
Emancipator
Little People

But especially Blackmill and Parov Stelar. If you haven't heard Rain by Blackmill or All Night by Parov Stelar, you've been missing out.

.FILTHadelphia

Downfall of Gaia
Nux Vomica
Besta
Anaal Nathrakh
Extortion
Pianos Become the Teeth
Oneohtrix Point Never
Netsky

Last edited by defiantsystems (Mar 9, 2013 5:53 pm)

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

@esc I love The Coup, saw them live.

Erykah Badu
New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble
Black Uhuru
The Clash
The Specials
King Tubby and Scientist
Nas
Toots & the Maytals, the first CD I ever bought was Funky Kingston in 2003. seen twice
Steel Pulse, seen
Laurel Aitken
Girl Talk
The Fugees

Lots of reggae, ska and hip hop music.

Last edited by xX 8 BIT CHAMPION Xx (Mar 12, 2013 9:33 pm)

IL, US
Jellica wrote:

DJ Rupture mix CDs

fuck yeah, and which ones? ive been more into "low income tomorrowland" lately, but ive also got "58:46 radio mix", "gold teeth thief" & that mutamassik split "the bidoun sessions", plus some radio sets i found online...

Joliette, QC, Canada

Pretty sure I saw that kind of thread somewhere in this forum but here's my nonchip list :
Lagwagon
Rage Against the Machines
GWAR
Children of Bodom (Hate crew Deathroll and before)
Suicidal Tendencies
Sick of it All
cLOUDDEAD
Themselves
Odd Nosdam
Curse ov Dialect
Optimus Rhyme
Daedelus
Boards of Canada
AFX
RJD2
The Prodigy
Daft Punk
Weezer
Kraftwerk
Tears for Fears

King's Lynn, UK

Third wave ska mostly:

Random Hand
Mad Caddies
Reel Big Fish
Streetlight Manifesto
Stand Out Riot
Tyrannasaurus Alan
JB Conspiracy
Dirty Revolution
The Skints
Imperial Leisure
Jaya the Cat

There's a hell of a lot more, but those are some of the more prominent examples.

Austin, TX

A few things from my last.fm (I like introducing people to music so they're non-standard stuff):

Ging Nang Boyz: Japanese punk-pop unit that screams about sex and acts like Iggy Pop on stage. They're getting some notice in the west since Jeff Rosenstock of Bomb the Music Industry! and Shinobu have both covered their songs.

Shinsei Kamattechan: If The Flaming Lips never evolved out of doing acid punk and kept that influence through the remainder of their work, they'd probably sound kinda like this. Punk vocals and guitar with multi-layered synth/piano melodies. Their frontman and songwriter Noko is about as crazy as Wayne Coyne and as musically talented as Steven Drozd. Their album Tanoshii ne is available on US iTunes now, and it's their best work to date.

The Radio Dept.: Mellow shoegazey pop. Labrador, their label, is putting out some of the best pop music in the world right now.

Shoji Meguro: Primary composer for Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei series of games. He flits between musical styles often; he's one of the most versatile composers I know. My favorites are his synth-rock scores for Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga games, and his more poppy score for Persona 3.

Adebisi Shank: High-powered math punk. I recommend seeing these guys live; they put on a hell of a show and they're super nice and down-to-earth dudes.