Yo errybody.
I've come to a point where I have so many minor questions about LSDJ I'm just gonna throw them here and see what happens.

1) To prevent the skipping of noise instruments, I shouldn't use TSP, but S commands. But is there a way to go back to an old song, and change the TSP's to S-commands in such an exact way the instrument sound doesn't change?
FE: I've got a snare (E64, Shape ED) with this table:

TSP
1F
0C
1F
0C

Can you in some way, like, "calculate" which S-command values I have to exchange them with?

2) At the moment I don't have many carts, so memory space is an issue. Also I experience lot's of glitching up due to several simultaneous V-commands running at 220 bpm. This made me wonder what takes more saving space and which takes more processing power. The logic thing to me would be that placing the P-command on bass-drums in the Phrase screen takes more CPU but less sav. And that giving them a table with a P-command is less hard on the CPU but requires more space. Is this in any way true? Same goes for any Command/able, I guess.

3) Can someone imitate the Hitchcock psycho strings? I've made really slow songs with high pitch chords (MinMaj, sus2, sus4, maj13). The chords never seem to sound as "sharp" as the violins. I have to add that to my taste, lots of chords still sound very happy due to the game boy's characteristic sound, so maybe it's just me. Does anybody know a good way to mimic the chords? Crazy V-commands? High resonance Wav instruments?

4) My newer songs (the hardcore/gabber experiments) aren't bassy enough on the game boy color, but the DMGs just glitch up. The color survives no problem. The DMGs slow down at busy moments and speed up in breakdowns. At those moments you can't navigate or anything. Are there ways to circumvent this problem? Is glitching up more common on DMGs that have wear and tear and should I buy new ones and treat them better? Or would it be the same on any DMG? Do I have to split up all my songs in halve and spread them over two sav files? Should I start using only 3 channels? Are there any other handhelds that sound just as bassy and have better CPU? Like how's the PSP?

I'm reading http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm ATM, but I'd rather have more info/ personal experiences to go on.

5) I had a question number five. I forgot it. Keeping this one open in case I remember it later.

If anybody can wade through my wall of text, survive, and maybe answer a question / help me by thinking out loud, I would very much appreciate it, thanks!

Last edited by Jotie (Mar 11, 2013 3:40 am)

Maine

i dont know about 1 - 3 but as for four i have a song at 255 bpm and i have similar problems ie lagg and slow down how ever any dmg i try it on suffers the same problem. in my experience the psp has great bass and plenty cpu (the backlit color screen is also a plus)

hope this helps

Nottingham, UK

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7723/gbc-bass-mod/

Bristol, UK

As far as question 3 goes, you should make your own kit of the psycho strings, or if you send me the samples I can make one for you.

My DMGs never crash but I don't often go above 180bpm. As far as i'm aware, tables use a lot of cpu so it's better to have commands in the phrases if you can.

Looks great!

I was hoping to live the game boy live unmodded. DREAMS SHATTERED tongue

England

1 - i'd just make some new snares

2 - i read somewhere that v commands take up a lot of cpu. have you tried changing the tempo to 110 and the groove to 3/3? you might have to play with the instruments a bit as you are changing the amout of ticks but it might be worth a try.

3 - which part of the psycho music are you trying to emulate? are you using arps? you could try programming some volume changes in the volume collumn in a table and spread the chords accross the 2 pulse channels.

4 - try halfing the tempo of the song and changing the groove to 3/3?

Last edited by Jellica (Mar 11, 2013 12:38 pm)

Gosford, Australia
Jotie wrote:

1)
TSP
1F
0C
1F
0C

Can you in some way, like, "calculate" which S-command values I have to exchange them with?

D0
E0
(then F0 to mimick the remaining TSP 00s)

(i think this would work but i haven't used transpose with noise in aaaages!)
((this is probably completely wrong cause that doesn't look like something i'd ever use for a "snare" sound at a glance maybe just make new snares cause it wouldn't be that hard and maybe you need to optimise your snares to minimise CPU lag anyway))

2) At the moment I don't have many carts, so memory space is an issue. Also I experience lot's of glitching up due to several simultaneous V-commands running at 220 bpm. This made me wonder what takes more saving space and which takes more processing power. The logic thing to me would be that placing the P-command on bass-drums in the Phrase screen takes more CPU but less sav. And that giving them a table with a P-command is less hard on the CPU but requires more space. Is this in any way true?

using lots of different synths and kits tends to beef up my song sizes super fast.
you can try running tables slower with G commands if you only have a couple of commands in them - this has helped me quite a bit i think (but could be a placebo effect). running V commands on both pulses and wave at the same time is something you'll probably need to use a GBC for unless you write the parts that have all that Vxx to be very CPU friendly.

3) Can someone imitate the Hitchcock psycho strings? I've made really slow songs with high pitch chords (MinMaj, sus2, sus4, maj13). The chords never seem to sound as "sharp" as the violins. I have to add that to my taste, lots of chords still sound very happy due to the game boy's characteristic sound, so maybe it's just me. Does anybody know a good way to mimic the chords? Crazy V-commands? High resonance Wav instruments?

LSDJ's max vibrato speed isn't quite fast enough to act like a combination tone for those notes. i don't think you'd have much better luck with resonance or resync values either since the tones they produce will just be harmonics in relation to the root note (iirc). in the end a 4-bit lookup oscillator just isn't capable of recreating complex dissonance like that anyway. :<

Last edited by Victory Road (Mar 11, 2013 12:52 pm)

Gosford, Australia

bollocks, x2 post

Last edited by Victory Road (Mar 11, 2013 12:52 pm)