Buffalo

So my one friend who is really into VGM music just showed me this game called Lagrange Point. It is a famicom game that has an expanded sound chip to create FM sounds. Through a little research, I learned that expanded sound chips are only possible on the famicom (thus only in Japan). I find this to be extremely interesting. I am no where near any understanding to be able to even try to see if there is a way one could exploit this for chiptunes, and it also might not be really worth it since you could probably capture all these sounds on a genesis. Does anyone know if someone has tried anything like this for chipmusic? Also its pretty cool music so I thought I would bring it up. Through some more research I also learned that this is not the only japanese game to use this. Castlevania 3 has it, and probably others, but I guess it made the cartridges more expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjJhN5POc4o

Last edited by SBthree (Mar 12, 2013 2:59 am)

Buffalo

And with a little more research I have read that it is possible to make a cart with the "VRC6" chip, so I guess tracking with is a possibility. I may have jumped the gun creating this topic, but maybe some other newbs like me didnt know about this stuff either so maybe this topic will educate somebody else. Anything else I should know about about chiptunes, famicoms, or just life in general?

Philadelphia, PA

Try looking up a couple combinations of these words on Google.

VRC7, FamiTracker, PPMCK, TNS-HFC3, TNS-HFC4, NESdev Wiki, etc...

Austin, Texas

Download the .NSF for the game and listen to it in an emulator if you'd like. You can find it on Zophar.

This was the only Famicom game produced using this expansion chip, so this is the only real bit of first-party VRC7 music that you'll find "in the wild," so to speak.

EDIT: All of this stuff is pretty well documented, FYI. Get FamiTracker if you haven't played with that yet, and start experimenting! big_smile

Last edited by Telerophon (Mar 12, 2013 4:27 am)

Montreal, Canada
SBthree wrote:

Anything else I should know about about chiptunes, famicoms, or just life in general?

chiptunes: look up famitracker
famicoms: look up famitracker
life: it's a bitch, then you die.

Brazil

Famitracker, then play with all the expansions.

Austin, Texas
n00bstar wrote:
SBthree wrote:

Anything else I should know about about chiptunes, famicoms, or just life in general?

chiptunes: look up famitracker
famicoms: look up famitracker
life: it's a bitch, then you die.

Facts.

Read the FamiTracker wiki too, I think it has one of the best primers on the expansion chips and what you can do with them.

Chicago IL

God dammit I thought someone finally finished and posted a translation of LaGrange Point

Toronto, Canada

Here's the complete soundtrack recorded from my Famicom:

http://rainwarrior.ca/projects/nes/lagr … nt_ref.zip