London

Woohoo, flamewar!

Lovely.

How exactly did I respond with bad attitude? I just explained how I came up with the price. With a bit of sarcasm. I must say I can't really see how that makes me less of a man.

If what I'm doing in the video looks and sounds random to you, fair enough. It actually wasn't the best setting for showing all the possibilities including the touchpad, which doesn't work that well with the bends in all the programs. I noticed that later, too and I'm a bit annoyed by that myself. The problem is that I had to give the camera back to the person I borrowed it from and then that was all I had. Thanks for pointing it out, though. I quite appreciate being shown flaws in the presentation. Maybe I'm gonna do another one...

Then again, I've finished it about three weeks ago. That's not very much time to learn to play an instrument properly. Also, this is mostly how I make music, but whatever generic glitchery you or I might or might not consider musical is probably a whole different discussion. big_smile

San Antonio, Texas
nitro2k01 wrote:

Show some respect. This is the guy who essentially invented Gameboy backlighting in 2005 using kitchen aluminum foil and plastic from a CD case. Before we all got used to using premade backlight panels.

http://www.der-warst.de/warstware/backlight.html

dar Warst is the fucking king. I must bow down to him! *Proceeds to bow down*

Austin, TX

I'm not as familiar with Dar Warst's work as everyone else seems to be, but that KP is fucking impressive. I'm sure it was MUCH more difficult to work with the KP than most other chip-related instruments, considering it's built with more up-to-date components than a simple DMG or NES. It most likely required soldering to SMD components, which takes much more skill IMO. From personal experience, I can say that circuit bending a DMG is nothing compared to circuit bending a Kaossilator (not quite a KP, but probably built very similar). I've also seen stupid shit that you can easily build yourself with pre-made kits, such as Atari PUNK consoles, sell for as much as $100 on eBay. With that said, I personally think the price is very fair, and if I had the money I'd gladly take it off your hands smile

Montreal, Canada

@der Warst

You're very much allowed to do whatever you want and charge however much you want for it. I personally don't feel it's showcased properly and ends up sounding like any other circuit bent gizmo out there, but that's me.

I just think your reply was full of unnecessary attitude/sarcasm directed at a guy who has every right to tell you he finds it expensive. I used to build cigarbox guitars, and tons of people replied to me that they were too expensive when I posted them on the web. Never did I feel it was necessary to tell them how long I've been doing it, how so many people make lame wages on the planet, to go build one of their own if they're not happy, or to diss other similar products that I would feel are of lesser build/ingenuity/etc. And that's all I meant by taking it like a man, not resort to a childish reply.

My entire point was, if you want to sell it, there's ebay and tons of other sites like it. If you post on a forum, you should expect that not every reply will be from the army of supporters you seem to have, and unless they attack you, their opinions need not be replied to like you did.

As for the musicality of the piece, I agree, opinions may differ.

@ the rest
I don't feel I've been either disrespectful to him or put his talent in question. I am however allowed to post an honest opinion am I not, or is this one of those forums where different opinions are regarded as flames? Frankly. he seems to have understood what I meant about the machine / demo much better than any of you apparently has, considering his next reply.

Unsubscribe

You probably woudlve been better off posting an initial comment as long as your justification instead of mehing in the first place. #teachingmoments.

The funny thing about selling things is the market dictates its worth. I think its pretty neat and pretty well priced, but ive always liked der warst and his projects so bias goes a long way too.

Being a bender who makes a better living off of modifying things himself, i feel the holes drilled for the buttons are a little sloppy considering that is the main attraction of this piece. i find the objections on the price point totally legitamate

boddah makes the best point however(i would never bend things so precious) so i shall digress....

*edit for grammaaaaar

Last edited by deadcode (Mar 18, 2013 2:31 am)

Well it's not easy to drill square holes i guess smile

unless you have one of these: http://youtu.be/ALiqAXiTQBg

Cementimental wrote:

Well it's not easy to drill square holes i guess smile

unless you have one of these: http://youtu.be/ALiqAXiTQBg

WOW! That's clever!

London

Yeah, those are amazing. I think someone directed me to this before because of my square holes. Problem is just: they're really expensive and don't quite come in the sizes I need.

Besides, I am actually quite proud of how accurate I got over time with making these holes with a dremel. It's just a big problem with silver-coated instruments. They are very unforgiving...

Edited for stupid typos and afterthoughts.

Last edited by der Warst (Mar 19, 2013 7:51 pm)

London

Made a second video. This time a bit more didactic... smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNR5r264tQk

edit: realised the video was slightly fckd up, so I put up the right version before the hitcount got too high...

Last edited by der Warst (Apr 9, 2013 4:21 am)

der Warst wrote:

Yeah, those are amazing. I think someone directed me to this before because of my square holes. Problem is just: they're really expensive and don't quite come in the sizes I need.

Besides, I am actually quite proud of how accurate I got over time with making these holes with a dremel. It's just a big problem with silver-coated instruments. They are very unforgiving...

Edited for stupid typos and afterthoughts.

I know how hard it is to make square holes. You did a great job.

Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, that video confirms it - this thing is insanely cool.

Tacoma WA

Bump for a pretty cool bend.

I do like people who don't know much about it judging its value though, that's cute.

A lot of people act like the whole internet is just a system for delivering a constant stream of random things to be judged by their all-important OPINION.

ad-hell-aide

Interesting thread. I think the price is perfectly fine, and also Der Warst is indeed a king as has been stated.

heart that drill bit video!