Fargo
El Huesudo II wrote:

...I'd love to be able to play a few instruments.

So get started!  I know it can feel daunting and like you won't ever be a prodigy now because you didn't start when you were 4, but who cares?  There is plenty of good music that doesn't require the most musicianship.  You don't have to be a concert pianist to play a chord.  And you don't have to be Buddy Rich to keep a beat.  Keep doing what you do with what you have, and learn things you're interested in.

Texas
roastbeef wrote:

I'm a bassoonist. If I could go back in time and pick a cooler instrument, I probably wouldn't.

I've always wanted to learn bassoon, but in school they said my hands weren't big enough, so I did Trombone instead. I love the warm, rich, low, bassy sounds one can get from a basson, though.

They should call it the badassoon. XD

Godzilladelph

yeah i could always use some more. I'd love to max out my stats before the final boss

buffalo, NY
Aeros wrote:

should probably just pull a danimal cannon and dissect some project files

it helps once you know what you're looking at

Savannah, Georgia
danimal cannon wrote:
Aeros wrote:

should probably just pull a danimal cannon and dissect some project files

it helps once you know what you're looking at

i usually do (and if i don't, well, that's the point of looking at it in the first place), i just can't find anything good to work with. what was that site which has a directory full of LSDSNGs and instrument params?

Tacoma, WA

Piano for 12 years, drums/percussion for 5 years, guitar for 3 years, classical(mostly orchestral) composition for 4 years, and a whole bunch of musical theory stuff on my own time... I've only started to do chiptune stuff for a year now, so I am having a hard time getting the exact sound I want, but I will get there someday...

Last edited by Vellain (Feb 10, 2012 11:00 pm)

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
danimal cannon wrote:

No formal training, but I,ve been playing since I was 12.

Taught myself theory and play with a lot of trained players.  Took a theory class in college and already knew everything.

For the longest time i had trouble making my own music due to formal training, because they teach you everything thats inside the musical box, but they dont teach you how to think outside of it.

the passed 3 years or so ive been coming out of that shell, but i feel like i was crippled for the longest time by the "i shouldnt do it that way" mentality

Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV
eme7h wrote:
squidula wrote:

i listened to enter shikari and the fall of troy. a lot.

FUCK YEAAAAH doppleganger

UK, Leicester

Started playing keyboard a year and a half ago. Really started playing it 2 months ago, going to start taking lessons in a few weeks. Other than that, nothing really.

Philadelphia, PA

I have a Master's degree in tuba performance.

El Huesudo II wrote:

...I'd love to be able to play a few instruments.

Then get practicing!  You can do it!  Put the time in and it will get you results, promise, k?  You just gotta be patient and persistent.  You can't learn piano by saying you're going to learn piano; you actually have to sit there and practice Hanons... for years.  But all of that starts with you starting today, right?

Ap0c wrote:

I have a Master's degree in tuba performance.

Shout out, music minor at the University of Alabama studying jazz euphonium and trombone under Demondrae Thurman!

Philadelphia, PA
thebitman wrote:

Shout out, music minor at the University of Alabama studying jazz euphonium and trombone under Demondrae Thurman!

Woah, rockin'!  I've heard good things about that program haha!

Nottingham, UK

Started playing guitar many moons ago. Played and sang in bands, mostly loud and angry.
Eventually took up music production, sucked for a long time and then got better.

Probably the highlight of my musical life has been being a regular member of John Richards Dirty Electronics Ensemble and getting to play with Chris Carter and Anna Meredith amongst others.

Annoyingly Johns played more chip gigs than I have, haha.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Mar 22, 2013 1:37 am)

Maine

been playing guitar since i was 12

piano since i was 10

dabbled in some other instruments here and there and then stuck to chiptune / emd

now im learning how to dj (yay)

reject of nintendoage

flute, guitar and piano until i was twelve. 20 years later i use the shit out of everything and don't give a fuck if it's any good.

my dad is a drummer. still mad at him for not teaching me in time.

Seattle, WA US

played tuba in grade school. metal band in junior high. now this. I'm fucking weird