Tokyo, Japan
Monotron wrote:

There are a few curmudgeons but the majority of people here are pretty nice.

I strive to be both!

Los Angeles, CA

I'm not elitist, I just do not like laziness when it comes to doing research on the internet. There has never been a point within chipmusic history where information has been easier to find or more centrally located within a massive open community. It's not that hard to do a google search to find out where to buy LSDJ, and there is a very visible search bar to the right of the forum to look for various keywords that might pertain to a topic that someone is interested in.

Look, if I may play the grumpy old man card for a second, I started fucking around with chipmusic in 2004. Back then, at least as far as I know, there was nothing like chipmusic.org. There was no KitschBent. Hell, 8bc didn't even exist yet. After I found out that people were making 8bit music, I did some searches on Google and eventually found Nerdtracker 2. I downloaded it, and taught myself the basics of it. If I hadn't put in the effort to figure these things out on my own, I would not have figured them out. I didn't know of anyone to answer any stupid n00b questions I might have had.

Obviously it's fucking great that information is a lot easier to find now, but it's frustrating to me that the easier it gets for someone to locate this information, the more lazy people seem to become about searching for it. People want to be spoonfed rather than take the time to figure it out themselves or do a damn search. And how is that going to translate to the music they eventually make? If you can't manage to put forth the effort to search for "LSDJ" on Google, how the hell are you going to learn how to program tracks in LSDJ that do not sound like total dogshit?

Being a n00b is not an excuse for being a helpless, lazy idiot! You will impress people right out of the fucking gate with simple gestures like searching old threads and bumping one of those instead of starting your own to ask questions that have already been answered 100 times here.

Montreal, Canada
bryface wrote:

everyone ends up being yes-men to each other, where forgettable music gets a Free Pass

This.

bryface wrote:

people who are seriously invested in the advancement and perfection of their craft

And this.

When i joined, I submitted a few pieces of music (and at the risk of sounding a bit pretentious, I think I make pretty decent quality music). They disappeared from the front page with not even a listen while total pieces of garbage (harsh? yes, but true) got five star two thumbs up FDA-approved intel inside deluxe ninja from hell with tacos made of midgets juggling pure balls of awesome. Then I realized people listen to music here solely based on whether or not their friends or some revered semi-mythical composer made it, then congratulate the everlasting fuck out of each other for having put all of 11 minutes into four and a half bleeps of questionable musical pupose.

So yeah.. I just removed my tracks and realized this was not a community for actual *music* discussion as much as it is a place to share a common interest/appreciation for the art. Threads for musical criticism get barely 2-3 posts. Most of what I see is either "general discussion" type stuff, or threads that are just announcements for finished products like EPs and Albums. It's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong. But I guess I was just expecting something different and that's my probably fault.

Last edited by n00bstar (Mar 25, 2013 7:52 am)

England

being insulted is better than being ignored. at least someone took time out to listen/read whatever you did.

shanghai

yeah, the music section is not what it is on other sites like 8bc. This is like you said more a place to share ideas, post releases and chat shit about geek stuff. No one has EVER understood that music submission rating system haha

also this :

Wizwars wrote:

Obviously it's fucking great that information is a lot easier to find now, but it's frustrating to me that the easier it gets for someone to locate this information, the more lazy people seem to become about searching for it. People want to be spoonfed rather than take the time to figure it out themselves or do a damn search. And how is that going to translate to the music they eventually make? If you can't manage to put forth the effort to search for "LSDJ" on Google, how the hell are you going to learn how to program tracks in LSDJ that do not sound like total dogshit?

Spot on dude - thats exactly my problems with forums nowadays.

Santa Cruz, California
n00bstar wrote:

Maybe I just joined at a bad time...dunno. Maybe I'm way the hell too old for a community that seems to be made mostly of late teens and early twenty-somethings. Or yknow.. maybe I'm just an asshole big_smile

Even though I sound like I'm 18 in my videos, I'm almost 29.
From what I've gathered, that's pretty much the median age for this.

Santa Cruz, California
VGMstar wrote:

The world's in a massive crisis in which taking advantage of the dumbest and most frivolous spenders on the planet is morally despicable... and you know it. Punk's dead because your foot is on its coffin.

Yeah yeah yeah. You've posted this pretty much everywhere now.
It's a pretty flimsy statement, with tons of angsty teenage dbag overtones, and I'm pretty confident that nobody cares.

Also; Punk's dead because the 80's are over. So go play your Crass 45's and cry yourself to sleep.

Chicago IL

It's mostly me. I'm okay with it.

Yeah I'm a dick when someone starts a topic instead of a simple forum or google search. There's pretty much no excuse for laziness when you're online, everything is like 15 seconds away, tops.

Or if it's about something shitty and childish like pokemon or dragon ball z.

But mostly I don't believe unconditional encouragement benefits anyone in the long run.

Chicago IL

Also what's the over/under on VGMstar being shawn?

los angeles

who

lolusa
Saskrotch wrote:

It's mostly me. I'm okay with it.

Yeah I'm a dick when someone starts a topic instead of a simple forum or google search. There's pretty much no excuse for laziness when you're online, everything is like 15 seconds away, tops.

Or if it's about something shitty and childish like pokemon or dragon ball z.

But mostly I don't believe unconditional encouragement benefits anyone in the long run.

I see these as comic-relief, I'd give you a gold star if I could

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Yeah yeah yeah. You've posted this pretty much everywhere now.
It's a pretty flimsy statement, with tons of angsty teenage dbag overtones, and I'm pretty confident that nobody cares.

Also; Punk's dead because the 80's are over. So go play your Crass 45's and cry yourself to sleep.

sheesh

i'll put anything on blast if it proves a microcosm of future nerd planet wastage

2. crass were bloody awful

Last edited by extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia (Mar 25, 2013 10:28 am)

UK, Leicester

I've never seen anybody who was an arse to a new user, or me. Then again, I am quite careful about what I post, and if I ask a question, I always give the site a quick search beforehand to see if it's already been answered. Even when I've been debating with more well known peeps here, they've always been reasonable and never gone "shut up n00b, you know nothing" and have just replied normally.

South Korea

I agree that there is NO FUCKING EXCUSE for mediocrity and laziness. If someone posts a stupid question like "how to LDSj on my Segas Gamegear", they are obviously not serious about this and should just be IGNORED, approaching them with sarcasm ONLY results in their post staying on the front page longer and you looking like a douchebag. It's just feeding the bullshit, and wasting time.
I've been messing about with LSDj on and off for almost a year now, I can play a few instruments, I've studied a bit of music theory and I can truly appreciate every musical genre other than country and *insert-latest-hipster-or-dance-fad*, but I'm not confident enough to put my stuff out there yet, because I know that anything worth-it takes time. We shouldn't give every half-assed attempt a pat on the back and say "good for you", but I also don't think it's necessary to be a dick.
And Saskrotch and Wizwars, you guys have earned the right to say whatever the fuck you want because you put out quality work and use proper grammar and spelling.
n00bhug

DeerPresident wrote:

And Saskrotch and Wizwars, you guys have earned the right to say whatever the fuck you want
n00bhug

if these two have earned their right to say whatever they want (which i would probably agree with), than any of the other individuals you could possibly be criticizing on this particular site have more than earned their right too.