Brunswick, GA USA

Triple post, all the way across the sky.

How is Pokemon music different from Mario, Zelda, RPG, and MegaMan music? They're not, they all have the same descriptive power and possibly misleading baggage.

IL, US
TSC wrote:

And by "this forum" I mean CM.O. Not my home forum.

you haven't been to my place, but youll be welcome at my home forum, man

defiantsystems wrote:

I think the hostility is a good buffer between those who actually want to create music and those who have the feel goods about chip music because they were really big fans of POcKEt MONsters for the Gameboy. Fact is only about 10% of the people who come on here asking questions and/or posting their first LSDJ song actually stick with it beyond the chip music honeymoon period, (2-3 weeks maybe.)

Hostility has never been a good buffer for anything. So what if they're into chiptunes because of Lavender Town's fucking BGM? Why should we care about those kinds of things? What if the hostility of the community make someone refrain from posting their works online, even if they keep making stuff? Ever thought about that one?

defiantsystems wrote:

We might as well weed out some of them before they come on here wasting everyone's time with questions that have been answered 100 times over and showing off their custom DMGs they spray painted in their dad's garage.

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who refuse to ask questions.

I have some experience as a help desk worker and I know for a fact that most of the time, people prefer to get their information from a person and not from a bulletin board. They ask the same thing that is plastered in big red letters all over the place. Why? Because most of them have a set path and a set train of thought, because some are in a hurry, because some have other things on their mind, hell, because some of them ARE stupid. It doesn't matter. It's better to point to the FAQ with a smile on your face and leave a lasting good impression to people, than to be a dick for the sake of being a dick and make people have a hard time for no reason at all.

And who the fuck cares about custom DMGs. Let them paint their toys and be happy with them. Why should we have to be concerned about that? It's not like they're spraypainting our faces.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Mar 27, 2013 6:13 pm)

Chicago IL
chunter wrote:

How is Pokemon music different from Mario, Zelda, RPG, and MegaMan music? They're not, they all have the same descriptive power and possibly misleading baggage.

I think it's because Pokemon is the Creed of video games.

Earth

Skrillex is the Pokemon of video games.

Last edited by breakphase (Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm)

United States

I WISH I KNEW

Brunswick, GA USA

It's hard to refute that, but I also agree with ElHuesudo's notion, I guess people need to find more original ways to get attention.

Unsubscribe

But the old ways are very effective.

.FILTHadelphia
El Huesudo II wrote:

Hostility has never been a good buffer for anything. So what if they're into chiptunes because of Lavender Town's fucking BGM? Why should we care about those kinds of things? What if the hostility of the community make someone refrain from posting their works online, even if they keep making stuff? Ever thought about that one?

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who refuse to ask questions.

I have some experience as a help desk worker and I know for a fact that most of the time, people prefer to get their information from a person and not from a bulletin board. They ask the same thing that is plastered in big red letters all over the place. Why? Because most of them have a set path and a set train of thought, because some are in a hurry, because some have other things on their mind, hell, because some of them ARE stupid. It doesn't matter. It's better to point to the FAQ with a smile on your face and leave a lasting good impression to people, than to be a dick for the sake of being a dick and make people have a hard time for no reason at all.

And who the fuck cares about custom DMGs. Let them paint their toys and be happy with them. Why should we have to be concerned about that? It's not like they're spraypainting our faces.

Sounds like that Pokemon comment stung a bit. I didn't judge anyone for how or why they got into chip music. I don't care if you think the Pokemon soundtrack is the pinnacle of music or you were inspired by the Amiga demoscene, none of that matters. The only thing that does matter is that you're here and actually making music or somehow contributing to the chip music scene. If a few people's hostility towards your exhausted questions about chip music breaks you from even trying chances are you weren't dedicated enough to do it in the first place.

The difference between being a help desk worker and a member of CM.O is that you were paid to provide people information. No one here is being paid to guide newcomers along the path of making chip music. Just because you ask a question here doesn't mean you're entitled to a response or a response you will like. Typically people come on here with a sense of entitlement because they did one Google search but didn't bother to research anything after that. So they register an account, make a thread, and waste everyone's time asking the same questions like "where do I buy a Gameboy?" or "what mixer should I buy?" There's a wealth of knowledge here, show that you're actually committed to creating your art form by putting the time into researching. Even if I know the question has been asked before but the person opens with "I can't find anywhere" I at least know they tried to find it before posting and will be glad to redirect them to the correct thread.

Again I'm not judging anyone for doing custom paint work on their Gameboys. I like the level of creativity people come up with and I've customized my own Gameboys as well. That "spray paint in your dad's garage" comment was less about custom DMGs and more about the typical noob modus operandi: find out about chip music, get the "me too" attitude, register on CM.O, do zero research, create a Facebook fan page, buy a Gameboy, paint it, buy LSDJ, quit two weeks later. I've been creating chip music for almost 4 years and have seen people come and go and litter forums with the same questions on their way out. It's very rare that I even post here because I have to sift through a bunch of noob threads before I even find something interesting, typically new releases, new trackers, new hardware developments and yes I look at the custom gear threads.

CM.O isn't the only chip community on the internet either. There are other chip forums you could go to where everyone will pat each other on the back for figuring out how to track mediocrity and you can discuss what Pokemon you caught that day.

Chicago
n00bstar wrote:

But yeah... I just stay away from the negative threads. Once I see one is going to go to hell, I don't even read it anymore...

Chicago IL

dude you are not good at the internet

Milwaukee, WI

Next person to post in this thread does not support gay marriage.

Brunswick, GA USA

Chicago IL

wait never mind

realized i didn't want you buttheads stealing my shit

Last edited by Saskrotch (Mar 27, 2013 10:26 pm)

Solar System

Who is Skrillex? smile

Brunswick, GA USA
Matej wrote:

Who is Skrillex? smile

On defiant's note, it's okay to do a little reinventing of the wheel while you learn, and experiment and make a few mistakes here and there. You may come up with a new style based on something that was formerly dismissed as "noise" or otherwise as undesirable.