Philthydelphia

Hello all! I had a small discussion with Storm Blooper and Mr. Wimmer about this, and I've decided to go ahead and open up the project for collaboration. So here we go:

As you may or may not know, Ben Folds has been playing and writing music for 25 years now and for our community which has a multitude of different musical backgrounds, it only seems right that something like this is put together.  (This may also be influenced by my own personal love for Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five, among other projects, but the ocassion is appropriate.) I've already put together a sort of hypothetical album track listing style (namely, chronological order of release of the songs that are covered/remixed) but don't let that hold you back from doing a favorite Ben Folds song! They can be any style of chipmusic (Fakebit, LSDJ, MODs, SiD, etc.) and a song from any of the projects that Ben WROTE for. (In which case, Jody Spence's Power Bill/The Semantics could not be used, as Ben did not have a creative role in the making of the band's music.)

These acts include:
Majosha
Pots and Pans
Ben Folds Five
Ben Folds

As far as how these songs are to be rearranged, the only guideline I ask potential collaborators is to reference the song for the most part, otherwise you can take as many creative liberties as you wish. Your imagination is your only limit.

Here's a list of help I will need for this collaboration should anyone be interested:
Musicians (obviously)
Artist(s) (album art, promotional art, etc. etc.)
Audio Engineer (mastering)

As this is a "good faith" compilation, there is no compensation, as this album will be free to download for all parties, so apologies if you were looking for paid work.

Other than that, there's no deadline yet, so we can discuss that as soon as we garner some decent interest. Ultimately, I'm looking for chip artists who are looking to have a good time remixing classic songs, and have a chance to get their name out in the open!

Looking forward to hearing from you guys! If you have any extra questions I may have missed in my explanation, feel free to write here or PM me. smile

Utah

I tried to get this going almost a year ago, as can be found here: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6327/ben-folds/
Maybe you have better organizational and promotional skills? Feel free to use my cover of Zak and Sara. Ben Folds rocks, so good luck.

Philthydelphia

Thanks Laohu! That'd be awesome! It's all about having an interest. If your audience is interested, and your collaborators are interested, then you will have an easier time putting something together. If people don't show interest, then there's no point in releasing something, so I hope with a little bit of extra work people can get excited for this project of mine.

Douglas, Wyoming

This seems cool, I'll join in if I get the time I can maybe help with some art stuff too

Philthydelphia

Great! Once I have a concrete amount of interest (about 8-12 artists including myself) we can start putting together feasible deadlines for music, artwork, etc. If no one else wants to handle the mastering aspect of it, I can certainly do it.

Montgomery, AL

Put me down as interested.  Have a deadline set in mind?

Dibs on "Smoke," if anything.

Last edited by Pieces of Eight (Mar 28, 2013 3:37 am)

Auburn, WA, US

This sounds awesome. Please make this happen! big_smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by Starpilot (Mar 28, 2013 6:44 pm)

Neo Jersey

is this still happening cuz i'd def be interested in contributing. also what about the bens?

Yokohama, Japan

this still going?

Canada

Seems like they didn't gather enough support. I'd be down to do "air"

Last edited by Jansaw (Sep 2, 2013 4:59 pm)

Boise, ID

I'd love to get in on this too.