Auburn, WA, US
chunter wrote:

Unfinished. Been working on it for June. Depending on result, might use rainbow colored lightning busting it down the center. (My skills are not pro tier, nor my software.) big_smile
Please, keep reiterating in your own words the sentiments I posted earlier.

Last edited by cirque (Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm)

defiantsystems wrote:

The difference between being a help desk worker and a member of CM.O is that you were paid to provide people information. No one here is being paid to guide newcomers along the path of making chip music. Just because you ask a question here doesn't mean you're entitled to a response or a response you will like. Typically people come on here with a sense of entitlement because they did one Google search but didn't bother to research anything after that. So they register an account, make a thread, and waste everyone's time asking the same questions like "where do I buy a Gameboy?" or "what mixer should I buy?" There's a wealth of knowledge here, show that you're actually committed to creating your art form by putting the time into researching. Even if I know the question has been asked before but the person opens with "I can't find anywhere" I at least know they tried to find it before posting and will be glad to redirect them to the correct thread.

If I'm not getting paid to answer questions, but I want to answer them, I'll choose to go at the problem in the way that costs me the less energy.

And to me, that is just answering nicely.

To be honest, I don't see how newbies could "waste everyone's time" by asking the same questions everyone's asked. People choose to answer them. And to be honest, it takes more time and effort to be harsh than to be blunt.

It is not my business if they're devoted to their art or not. And neither should it be our business!

defiantsystems wrote:

That "spray paint in your dad's garage" comment was less about custom DMGs and more about the typical noob modus operandi: find out about chip music, get the "me too" attitude, register on CM.O, do zero research, create a Facebook fan page, buy a Gameboy, paint it, buy LSDJ, quit two weeks later. I've been creating chip music for almost 4 years and have seen people come and go and litter forums with the same questions on their way out. It's very rare that I even post here because I have to sift through a bunch of noob threads before I even find something interesting, typically new releases, new trackers, new hardware developments and yes I look at the custom gear threads.

CM.O isn't the only chip community on the internet either. There are other chip forums you could go to where everyone will pat each other on the back for figuring out how to track mediocrity and you can discuss what Pokemon you caught that day.

You really like your Pokémon example, don't you? Just saying.

So the newbie goes in on the bandwagon and starts asking frequently asked questions and wasting cash on stuff they'll never use. Oh believe me, we've all done that at least once in our lives. It's nothing new at all.

Why not let them be? You're not forced to answer to them, you're not forced to read their topics. They're rather easy to spot, too; one can skip them if one wants. And if you're right and they're just in for the ride and they'll get tired of it, that's what's gonna end up happening whether you spend time with them or not. Who knows, maybe some will stay for a while longer than expected?

Chicago
Saskrotch wrote:

dude you are not good at the internet

The irony...

Take a look at the thread topic.

washington

yeah, but he's saskrotch.

Chicago IL
stancoolness wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

dude you are not good at the internet

The irony...

That doesn't change the fact that you mis-used a shitty meme and are terrible at the internet.

Don't act like you're smart.

Chicago
Saskrotch wrote:
stancoolness wrote:

The irony...

That doesn't change the fact that you mis-used a shitty meme and are terrible at the internet.

basspuddle wrote:

yeah, but he's saskrotch.

Indeed

Last edited by stancoolness (Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm)

Chicago
Saskrotch wrote:
stancoolness wrote:

The irony...

Edit:

Saskrotch wrote:

"someone saying that I’m stupid or whatever because of my age is like saying someone is stupid or whatever because of their racial ethnicity." -bit wish

so I'm stupid or whatever because of a pointless thread post? how is that different? (in your words it was that I'm "not smart," but whatevs)
just sayin'.

Last edited by stancoolness (Mar 28, 2013 10:17 pm)

IL, US
stancoolness wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

Edit:

Saskrotch wrote:

"someone saying that I’m stupid or whatever because of my age is like saying someone is stupid or whatever because of their racial ethnicity." -bit wish

so I'm stupid or whatever because of a pointless thread post? how is that different? (in your words it was that I'm "not smart," but whatevs)
just sayin'.

well, it would be different because his comment was based on your actions, not your age, gender, ethnicity, etc.

Last edited by e.s.c. (Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm)

Chicago

meh. i disagree...
they all seem like equally pointless bases for judgment to me.

Last edited by stancoolness (Mar 28, 2013 10:59 pm)

rochester, ny
Saskrotch wrote:
chunter wrote:

How is Pokemon music different from Mario, Zelda, RPG, and MegaMan music? They're not, they all have the same descriptive power and possibly misleading baggage.

I think it's because Pokemon is the Creed of video games.

i seriously lol'd at this.

Brunswick, GA USA
nickmaynard wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

I think it's because Pokemon is the Creed of video games.

I considered saying "more like Nickelback" but the point is well made. I think the thing to note is that although I don't think appropriating Pokemon is any "worse" than appropriating Mario, Zelda, or MegaMan, they're equally at issue; eventually a person's music has to show me who the artist is, and not just what stuff the artist can borrow from.

That doesn't excuse hazing, which is reserved for rip-offs and that 8-bit girl song.

shanghai

this thread is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

canada
Downstate wrote:

this thread is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

what's with all the e's?

Chicago IL
chunter wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

I considered saying "more like Nickelback" but the point is well made.

I didn't say Nickelback because they're kind of the go to example of something that sucks. Diggin' in the crates.

Gosford, Australia
Saskrotch wrote:

I didn't say Nickelback because they're kind of the go to example of something that sucks. Diggin' in the crates.

"pokemon is literally hitler"

Last edited by Victory Road (Mar 29, 2013 1:35 am)

shanghai

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

u know as in

Last edited by Downstate (Mar 29, 2013 8:13 am)