Madison, Alabama

My favorite synth I've ever had was a Moog Prodigy. It kept breaking though, and I sold it. Too much of a pain to maintain.

I have a Roland Juno-60 that I love love love.

I have a Moog Little Phatty (purchased as a replacement for my Prodigy) that sounds nice, but I've never really felt a strong connection with it. I might sell it and get a Korg MS-20 Mini when they come out, if the build/sound quality is good.

Super Jelly of Kitsch's soviet synth collection. Always wanted to get into those.

shanghai
kitsch wrote:

soviet stuff:
faemi-1m
formanta mini
ritm-2
junost-21
polivoks

not quite synths (soviet still)
kvintet
notka
pif

that list. OMFG !

matt's mind
kitsch wrote:

soviet stuff:
faemi-1m
formanta mini
ritm-2
junost-21
polivoks

not quite synths (soviet still)
kvintet
notka
pif

the underlined ones are broken in some way. 

thanks smile  i'll let them know they got compliments today and maybe reward them with some play time

West Yorks, UK

Impressive shit there Kitsch. Do you make music? haha big_smile

Ive only ever heard of vermona in the analogue drum synth context!

Austin, TX
Lazerbeat wrote:

I wrote a love letter to my DX11 a while back

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7419/ … re-is-why/

Thanks for this! I've been wanting to get a Yamaha FM synth for a while and this seems like a great value.

Right now the only hardware synth action I get is on this baby:

GENERAL MIDI FOR LIFE

IL, US

my favorite that ive owned is the dsi mopho, beast of an analog mono synth in a small package ...

matt's mind
Domu wrote:

Do you make music?

in the past couple months its been a lot of mountain dulcimer for me (regional instrument).  which has been relaxing.  i make music all the time.  i record music never.  not anymore at least.  time is at such a premium for me nowadays i'd rather just sit down and play something impromptu than spend the time recording/mixing.  if i'm unable to sit down and really space out and get into that weird 'zone' with an instrument (or the process), i don't really bother now.  which for me has meant firstly ditch the archival process of it all and just do things live, and for myself just for the satisfaction of the moment.

maybe this is counter-thread, but i'm in a strummed instrument sort of mood lately [he says on a chipmusic forum].  must be the spring time trying to come around... 

but, yeah, any eastern europeans etc. who might have more easy access to older soviet keyboard instruments, they're pretty amazing...  (supposedly the polivoks was distributed to schools in some areas to be used in music classes.  i read this was its primary purpose, but i'm not sure i believe that.  unless it was for the elite academies somehow)

Montreal, Canada

Some of my favorites that I owned were the Moog MG1, Juno 106, Audity 2000, DrumStation (well.. half of it is a drum synth), TB303, Yamaha AN1X.

At the peak of my synth years, I had well over 20 full size keyboards in my bedroom. Didn't even need to turn on the heating in the winter hah. I eventually got tired and sold all of them and I have no regrets, except perhaps for the MG1 which was my first synth ever so it's a sentimental thing really. Years later I got into old electric pianos and acquired a few Rhodes and Wurlys. They were great fun for recording but shit to store and maintain.

Right now my only keyboard is the trusty Nord Stage 88. It really does 90% of what I need to have, and for those few moments where I need more in-depth synthesis, I turn to VSTs like Massive, Predator and FM7.

KC

Fantom G8
Korg Triton Extreme
Korg X3
Kaossilator Pro + Kaossilator

Mainly I play the keys the pads and gameboys are just for fun and messing around when Im bored playing the piano

Sweden

I'm a fan of Korg stuff in general. Affordable and pretty interesting gear. Besides a few of those I have the FB01 and the TX81z.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

so actual synthesizers that i own are the Microkorg and Arturia MiniBrute
I'm loving the MiniBrute. Bought it on impulse after some great advice from Roboctopus and have not regretted it once.
It's exactly what i wanted to bring to my live sound and it's inspired and featured in my next EP.

oh and yeah, this thing IS a freaking brute. (that PWM *swooon*)

Montreal, Canada

Ah yeah. This synth almost makes me want to buy an analog again. It's got some sweet growl to it, and a fairly unique setup too. How much are they going for these days?

Gosford, Australia

i don't own many hardsynths
my most played is probably the yamaha ps-20, such a cute and warm sound keyboard (was apparently the last true-analog produced by yamaha). i have it right next to my computer setup at home and it's cool to play riffs and stuff on. stuck a monotron on it to use as a filter and it sounds extra great!

now a few years ago my ex girlfriend's dad decided to go get out a JX3P and a 303 that'd been sitting in the garage for 20-odd years, checked that they worked, then was like HEY have these. i tried telling him that the 303 at least could be worth a lot of money and he was just like ehh fuckin ebay and all that whatever just have em kiddo. so that's why i have a JX3P and an actual factual TB-303!

IL, US
n00bstar wrote:

Ah yeah. This synth almost makes me want to buy an analog again. It's got some sweet growl to it, and a fairly unique setup too. How much are they going for these days?

almost?
you only "almost" want an analog again?
the cs01 and mopho are two of the only untouchable parts of my setup....
i question your gearlust...

London

I've dabbled with hardware stuff over time, but I sold a bunch of it. My favourite by far is the original Novation Bass Station, I just keep coming back to it. I also like the Alpha Juno.

Montreal, Canada
e.s.c. wrote:
n00bstar wrote:

almost?
you only "almost" want an analog again?
the cs01 and mopho are two of the only untouchable parts of my setup....
i question your gearlust...

Hehe. I've owned a lot of the classics at one point or another in the 90s during the first wave of analog revivalism (and back when the prices were still reasonable heh). Then years later I worked in a music store so I could just borrow whatever they had when I wanted. Gearlust left me years ago smile And today's synths leave me fairly unimpressed anyways. The only two analogs I had a soft spot for in the last decade or so were the Little Phatty and MiniBrute. In both cases it's because they have a very distinct character and a few weird routing possibilities that are both unique and limiting. Too many synths today do "everything". My friend has a Mopho and I borrowed it for a while to check it out a bit, like all the other dave smith hybrids, it didn't to anything for me. Too clean.. too plastic, no distinct personality to it.

While there is a definite charm to hardware synths, I find that today's syntheads mostly don't know how to use analogs properly. Most of these synths today end up being sampled with entry level soundcards and then processed digitally, which for me entirely defeats the entire purpose of using analogs in the first place. Maybe I'm just a tired old fart, but if I'm not going to end up hooking the synths to a noisy analog board and end up dumping it all to tape before it gets sampled and burned to CD, then I'd rather just use VSTs.