Youngstown, OH
vargero wrote:

Pursuing an Information Systems degree, but already working as a system developer.

How do you like it? I've been thinking about pursuing something along those lines, maybe just computer science, but I'd be relatively new to it. And at 23 I'm wary of competing in the market against people who may have more of a background in it, if that makes sense.

Chicago, IL
Fatal Labyrinth wrote:

Another high schooler here. I've written about games for various publications for the past two years but I've yet to be paid for anything I've done. I'm planning on going to UT Austin for accounting mostly so I can get a stable job. I've enjoyed what I've done in that field (UIL Accounting state champion over here), but I'm mostly in it so I'll have money to support my other interests, like music and writing.

At the risk of sounding like an old dude, I'm so happy to see young folks taking an interest in retro gaming and music. Most of the kids I know don't even know of anything before PS2 (except for re-released stuff). I think its awesome that another generation appreciates these games as much as those of us who grew up on them..

Austin, TX
BeatScribe wrote:

At the risk of sounding like an old dude, I'm so happy to see young folks taking an interest in retro gaming and music. Most of the kids I know don't even know of anything before PS2 (except for re-released stuff). I think its awesome that another generation appreciates these games as much as those of us who grew up on them..

Thanks! I've always felt that if I ever wanted to understand games on any kind of academic level it'd be important to know what they were like before my time. I grew up playing Super Mario World on my dad's SNES and getting CD-ROMs of Genesis games from book fairs so I've always been into older games, and writing about the medium has helped me gain more interest in them on an academic level. I'm in the middle of writing a long piece on the original Shin Megami Tensei for the SNES, after spending fifty or sixty hours grinding it out in front of an old CRT with a modded Wii. There's an atmosphere in those games you just don't get anymore, especially if you're running them in an emulator on a computer. Twine games are the only modern thing I'd say gets anywhere close to it. Also how can you not love this? Outside of the indie scene and Twine games you don't see much beauty rising out of a need for utilitarianism in games these days. I'll always enjoy old games and old game soundtracks where they did the best with what they got and were able to push their narrative, mechanical, and aesthetic limitations far past the hardware itself.

The Hollow Earth
chunter wrote:

Music making became easier for me after I decided it didn't need to be my living.

This is the mindset I stick to. I do it for fun and I don't try to make money off it. It's just a hobby. However, if your dream is to do it for a living then by all means at least try to make it work. Much good advice on this has been given previously. I can't really add anything to it except that I've had plenty of friends who pursued a career path they didn't necessarily want, rather than pursue their dream career because that thought something else would be more "practical" (and regretted it later one). I guess try it and if it doesn't work, you're never too old to start over.

As for my career, I'm a library para-professional. I've been doing this for 17 years now.

Earth
chunter wrote:

Music making became easier for me after I decided it didn't need to be my living. It became easier still when I realized that composing is the aspect I like most.

Samesies. My emersion in chip music occurred when I decided I didn't want to be a professional musician. I just like making little tunes, which is well suited for 8-bit.

Los Angeles, CA

I work as a childcare provider for a church.

Full time college student taking 24 credit hours for this semester. Majoring in Management Information Systems, specializing in hardware and software development. Minoring in music (specifically oriented on studio production for films and jazz performance on multiple instruments I am proficient on). I sleep about 3 hours a night trying to pull a simple 3.0 GPA. Somehow I manage to pump out 3 bad songs a month and sometimes a good one. Can't wait for May.

Work experience includes working as a Summer Camp Counselor teaching merit badge classes about six hours a day then doing odd jobs around camp, and working at the YMCA as a daycamp counselor with children ages 4-6 full time. Pay for both jobs was minimum wage, but teaching the kids and learning from them made it worthwhile.

I'm majoring in Management Information Systems against my will, in one of the top college programs for it in the country. My father wants to help pay my way through school, so long as I major in MIS. I hate it with a passion (mostly), and I'm one of the top students in my class. I would always rather be working on songs, playing instruments, or DJ'ing. Instead I am at the library almost every night until 3 AM studying and working on class projects. Every morning I get up at 7 AM so I can practice my instruments until I have class at 10 AM. I put my school first, passions second, because I need the stability. I need the money I can make in that job. Music will always be waiting for me outside the office, I hope. It waits for me outside the library right now.

My advice: if you really want to do something, you will find a way or time to do it, despite the odds. And if you can make a living off of it, live it up for those of us who can't smile

washington
bitman wrote:

inspirational things

but i thought you fought crime

Playboy Man-Baby

American Lit major at an expensive and hipster-y college. Planning to become a professor of American Literature and Culture. I do chip shows whenever I'm not bogged down with work, or when I can get away with slacking off for a bit. I find that actually writing chipmusic somehow sneaks its way into my weekly routine alongside eating and sleeping. I finish the week with papers written, etc. and somehow in the tiny gaps where I haven't been working, I've apparently come out of the work week with a song that's (ideally) reasonably okay.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Mar 29, 2013 11:11 pm)

matt's mind
basspuddle wrote:
bitman wrote:

inspirational things

^ my favorite cm.o thing in a while

babylon

i work in a group home for people with developmental disabilities. doing computer sciences as well. and im a single dad to two young boys, which isnt a job but takes up most of my time.

Gosford, Australia

i work in a pizza shop, pay's ass but i get free pizza on top. doin' my b of psychology and its pretty good, need to lift my game (i.e. GPA) up a bit if i wanna do my masters though haha

basspuddle wrote:
bitman wrote:

inspirational things

Whoops. Forgot to post under my alternate account, Wuce Brayne. Cover's blown guys. <_<

washington
thebitman wrote:

Wuce Brayne

hehe

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

American Lit major at an expensive and hipster-y college. Planning to become a professor of American Literature and Culture. I do chip shows whenever I'm not bogged down with work, or when I can get away with slacking off for a bit. I find that actually writing chipmusic somehow sneaks its way into my weekly routine alongside eating and sleeping. I finish the week with papers written, etc. and somehow in the tiny gaps where I haven't been working, I've apparently come out of the work week with a song that's (ideally) reasonably okay.

This is basically me sans the expensive hipster school and the fact that I haven't really written anything worth playing live. Still learning...

Russellian wrote:

Still learning...

We are all "still learning." We always will be wink