NYU and U.S.C have a rep for good music production/tech programs.

Ignore the "teach yourself on google" advice. Sound/music production is like learning graphic design. You can pretty much teach yourself anything if you want to badly enough. But you'll learn faster and more efficiently with good teachers, like minded fellow students, and access to high end equipment. Plus a school program keeps you focused and structured and forces you to learn some essential things that you might be too tempted to skip if you're self teaching.

Also if you want a job is sound design/production/engineering, that piece of paper is going to be a tremendous help in getting your foot in the door.

Last edited by NationalBroadcastNetwork (Mar 30, 2013 4:40 pm)

Alive and well in fucksville

School puts your brain  in a box. here is some advice...before you get sucked in to piano and singing the major scale, write out the ascending and descending chromatic scale syllables. Now go buy a fretless bass. pick up a trig book. Learn by ear with all 12 tones. 12tet is not even that great. Look up just tuning. research the connection between cymatics and mantras.

Last edited by bitjacker (Mar 30, 2013 5:14 pm)

Chicago
NationalBroadcastNetwork wrote:

NYU and U.S.C have a rep for good music production/tech programs.

Ignore the "teach yourself on google" advice. Sound/music production is like learning graphic design. You can pretty much teach yourself anything if you want to badly enough. But you'll learn faster and more efficiently with good teachers, like minded fellow students, and access to high end equipment. Plus a school program keeps you focused and structured and forces you to learn some essential things that you might be too tempted to skip if you're self teaching.

Also if you want a job is sound design/production/engineering, that piece of paper is going to be a tremendous help in getting your foot in the door.

I've been looking at N.Y.U. but not so much U.S.C., ill definitely look there.
And to all the people telling me not to go to college, i really would like to get out and experience the world, and im very much looking foreword to college. i sure i could learn whatever i wanted to in my room in my parents house, but living with your parents kindof defeats a lot of the fun of being out of high school.

just saying.

montreal, qc

I think the general advice was avoid arts-related faculties and unaccredited "recording" programs offered by technical for-profit colleges.
Definitely go to university.

Chicago
ilkae wrote:

I think the general advice was avoid arts-related faculties and unaccredited "recording" programs offered by technical for-profit colleges.
Definitely go to university.

There have definitely some of those 2 year schools that have contacted me, but i would like a 4+ degree school.

Milwaukee, WI

I posed pretty much the same question two years ago.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4813/ … c-and-you/

Anyways, now that graduation is only a few weeks off, I've got a better idea of what I'd like to do.  I plan to major in electrical engineering and minor in music.  I think it's going to be really great and hopefully I'll be able to work as an electrical engineer within the field of music technology someday!

Brunswick, GA USA
venoSci wrote:

And to all the people telling me not to go to college, i really would like to get out and experience the world, and im very much looking foreword to college.

Emphasis mine. When you see it...

The social aspect is important, and the reason I've repeated that a few times is because, from the department of "if I had to do it all over again," that's the part I missed out on the most. I knew people who deliberately had half-credit course loads with one ensemble (basically, a graded weekly jam session) and nothing else on their plates besides jamming and hopefully gigging, and the more I remember about those people the more I think they had an ingenious plan.

If the social goals are more important to you than the academic, I recommend visiting as many campuses as you can until you find the one with the right social atmosphere. I'm not aware of any one school happening to have a lot of chipmusic folks attending it, so it's really up to you.

Just make sure you show up to class often enough to not get kicked out. wink

I can't believe I forgot about Theta's thread, although it got similarly sidetracked my thoughts and the details I provided haven't changed.

Last edited by chunter (Apr 1, 2013 2:13 am)

orange county, CA

CM.O is a good university

Chicago

thank you all so much for your feedback. truly.

Chicago

and apologies for the typos, its just not my night.

Brunswick, GA USA

http://twitter.com/Wu_Tang_Finance/stat … 9427516419