FRANCE

EDIT:
www.alyjameslab.com
Coming next >> VGM conversion smile
Go to the download section, under FMDrive you will find among other tools a link to the MIDI 2 VGM conversion pack (Convert your FMDrive or/and SPSG track to a .VGM format. (Win Only), info and how to included.

https://www.alyjameslab.com/download.html

FMDRIVE is a VST SYNTH that emulate the SEGA GENESIS/MEGADRIVE FM sound chip and adds a lot of extra features

FMDRIVE is not another YM2612 emulator it is a WIN VST instrument with live control in mind. Extended features add the full FM power underneath the original concept...Feel free to ask if you have questions

AUDIO DEMOS : https://soundcloud.com/alyjameslab

I learn a lot from documentations and all the nice people who documented the YM2612 on the web.
you know who you are smile
It turns out to be quite nice so I decided to make it public in exchange for a small donation for the large amount of work I put into this.
Package can also control the Little Scale GENMDM midi interface for those who have one or be converted into a VGM file for hardware play.

ABOUT FMDRIVE 2612 VST

This emulation uses a totally new core that I started from scratch a few months ago and was almost fine tuned by ear
so minors differences with the hardware could appears sometimes.(improved in 1.23)
The goal was on one hand to reproduce the hardware distortion of the sega megadrive and features of the YM2612 chip
and on the other hand to expand further the original capabilities and create a high resolution processing mode for perfect sound quality.

I tested the not well known CSM "illegal mode" usage, designing custom roms to investigate further
and finally include a way in FMDRIVE 2612 to use it for modern music production.
All and all the YM612 EXTENDED emulation turns out to be a fantastic synth suitable for chip music
and FM nostalgic pleasure and also a powerful tool for modern production.

Fact is that the Megadrive had a very characteristic and cool sound, -much- cooler than Nintendo's smile
I grew up playing some great games on the genesis.
So, I thought the Genesis / Megadrive also deserves that kind of attention and its own project.

You may think, the YM2612 chip is basically another 4 Operator YAMAHA FM synth but there is more...
DAC, SSG Envelopes and Special operating MODES like CSM speech synthesis.
On top of that the SEGA had a distinctive distorted sound, more or less present, depending on revision models.
FMDRIVE add many extended features and huge user friendly GUI!

You can design a vast range of sound on top of 33000 instruments presets already available from Games ROMS.
Go further with extended controls, and even midi control a real sega genesis with a special hardware add on interface:
GENMDM designed by Little Scale.(see the thread)

DONATION start at 13 $ (10€)  and PACKAGE  INCLUDE
45 PAGES USER MANUAL
FMDRIVE 2612 Standalone with nice BIG SIZE GUI 1296 x 787
FMDRIVE 2612 Vsti with nice BIG SIZE GUI 1296 x 787
FMDRIVE 2612 Vsti with smaller SIZE GUI 1037 x 630 (coming soon : for lighter configurations)
VGM2TFI 2.0 with GUI (extract tfi patches from VGM with "corrected DT parameters" and create a folder with the name of the VGM)
HUGE FULL SET OF TFI PATCHES (round 33000!) from game ROMS etc...

TUTORIALS will also be available soon:
-DIFFERENT WAYS TO EXTRACT SAMPLES FROM A GAME
-FROM DAWS TO THE SEGA GENESIS HARDWARE (compose a song with fmdrive and play it on the real hardware)

There is already some vids on youtube that I made during the development process. however final version got quite some changes, improvements and accuracy.
For example some fun with the CSM mode...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1OUGzeD … LXug3hdhnA smile

++ AJ

UPDATES LOG

V1.23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Rewritten envelope cycles system
- Improved accuracy over volume tables
- New SSG selection method
- Adjusted PCM DAC ladder noise
- Corrected DAC on/off register not being saved with patches
- Solved Program change memory BUG causing certain YM2612 registers not being updated
after closing and re-opening the plug-in interface.

V1.22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Pitch Bend range can now be set (1-12 semitones)
-Glide Mode can be set to Portamento or Glide behavior

V1.2

- Rewritten Fast & Accurate distortion emulation "ladder effect" of MD model 1
- PCM sample data DAC filter improved (now also benefit from the ladder effect too)
- New DAC PCM data read LOOP function (can loop the sample data with start and end point for nice fx)
- New DAC PCM wav files can now also be browsed & imported via windows native explorer (with no location limitation)
- New Polyphony up to 6 voices
- New  optional frequency FREEZE (fixed frequency) for SPECIAL MODE
- New solid or line view for the envelope generators display with release stage highlight
- Improved CSM mode implementation
- CSM mode now respond to Release rate (RR) and handle external MIDI channels correctly
- Glide is now available in polyphonic mode too with time and slew rate control!
- Improved MONO mode
- Init state will all operator pre-activated

Last edited by Aly James (Jan 10, 2022 6:05 pm)

Chicago IL

nooooooo mac version

Earth

Sounds great, I'd like to try it out. Made any songs with it?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

So Very Cool! great work

Sign me up, I'm ready:)

West Yorks, UK

i believe the term is.... Shut up and take my moniez

Turku, FIN

Super awesome! Any change for the mac version somepoint?

Austin, TX

Can't wait to get my hands on this! Everything you've posted of it so far has been super impressive.

Are there any plans for SN76489 support, namely on the GenMDM side of things? I saw that you've been working on a Master System VST that emulates it.

Tacoma, WA

-.-...

Last edited by Vellain (Apr 1, 2013 6:16 pm)

FRANCE

MAC: Actually you can test loading windows VST with this free tool : http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ … ds#mac-osx might be a bit slower than native version but people should give it a try.

If there is any interest I may add native MAC support in the future (the actual code is not portable so it would need a complete rewriting)

SN76489: Indeed there is already a beta master system vst, I plan to support the PSG with the controller in order to have presets for envelope and arp...there is no timeline for now but it  will come smile

I will add audio demos on the FMDRIVE 2612 official website.

Chicago IL
Aly James wrote:

MAC: Actually you can test loading windows VST with this free tool : http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ … ds#mac-osx might be a bit slower than native version but people should give it a try.

If there is any interest I may add native MAC support in the future (the actual code is not portable so it would need a complete rewriting)

Downloading VFX to test it out, but I think native Mac support would be better, since this (I'm pretty sure) is just a stand alone application for windows VSTs. I can't speak for everyone else, but I like to run a bunch of different chip VSTs / Hardware simultaneously through Live, and this would be a perfect addition to what I'm using now.

I don't have any coding experience at all, but if you need a beta tester for a mac version down the line, send me an email unless I've killed myself by the time you start working on it.

Sweden

Here's expressing interest in an OSX version!

South Dakota

2nd'ing for Mac version.

Austin, TX
Aly James wrote:

SN76489: Indeed there is already a beta master system vst, I plan to support the PSG with the controller in order to have presets for envelope and arp...there is no timeline for now but it  will come smile

Rad! Thanks for clarifying.

Turku, FIN

I can offer my support for MAC developement too. Although, i can only produce pixels and music. And drink beer, i hope that helps.

Earth

Yeah Mac would be tops