Unsubscribe

It just an era term. If you where alive then, and not shitting your pants every five mins, everything was advertised as 8bit!!!!!!!!

Regardless of whether it is 16bit or whatever, this just shows the its not black and white enough to keep the term "8bit soundchip."  I was calling for a full removal of the term, not a revision. wink

New York City
Beware wrote:

The demo and chipmusic scene was started by using SID samples on an Amiga, so to claim they are any more or less "real" really belittles the hard work they put into it.

What is a REAL chiptune DID start on the Amiga the way you mention, however, chipmusic and the demoscene started with the 8-bit computers with no samples in sight, many years before the Amiga existed.

As usual I stick to Goto80's definitions and Viznut's current document about "computationally minimal" is something I am really liking as a definition too.

I agree with Beware though: Saying 8-bit is misleading, however also calling "fakebit" chiptune is misleading, calling chipmusic "chiptune" is misleading, and calling musicians that use old computer hardware to make music "chip tuners" is dismal D:

Los Angeles

How about adding Apple II & Apple IIGS info on there as well? smile

A gray world of dread
herr_prof wrote:

It just an era term. If you where alive then, and not shitting your pants every five mins, everything was advertised as 8bit!!!!!!!!

True. If you consider it that way (ie common CPU register size), it works.

New York City
µB wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

True. If you consider it that way (ie common CPU register size), it works.

But then you have the Atari ST and it stops working again
;_;

Sweden

Well, the buses of most chips usually associated with chip music are 8 bits wide. Maybe that's where we would draw the line if the term was a technical one. But hey, we live in a world where rock music doesn't necessarily rock you, where blues isn't necessarily blue and where Sony distributes indie music.

Yeah, the cultural use of the term "8-bit" (meaning something like "the kind of stuff you would expect from machines with 8-bit data buses") is quite irritating, and that's why I tend to put it between quotation marks unless the usage is technically valid. And that's also why I've been looking for alternative terms.

But, into some nitpicking. There was no proper editor software in the very beginning, pioneers like Hubbard just used machine code monitors. Rob stated in an interview that he had no time for writing an editor, but I guess he had learned to like his monitor so much that he didn't really desire anything else. Also, it took some time before the term "tracker" was adopted from the "16-bit world" into the "8-bit world". Some people still think that only sample-based editors can be trackers, and some other people (like me) think that a tracker needs to have a "spreadsheet approach" (binding all the channels together instead of having separate pointers and orderlists per channel).

Thank you very much guys. I learned many things ! Very interesting !

I updated the webpage !
http://woolyss.com/chipmusic.php

wink Thanks 4 your help !