New Hampshire, United States
Xetryz wrote:

So I have been having some difficulty getting the word out about my music that I have been releasing, and my Bandcamp site. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get some hype going? If there is already a thread on this, I apologize, for I couldn't find it. Please do redirect me there if such a thread exists. If not, please let me know how you got "noticed" or "popular". Thanks in advance.

- Xetryz

I heard you on Seaking's Seaglass yesterday.

Tokyo, Japan

One thing I would also suggest, contribute to the community in as positive a way you can. Give other people constructive criticism if they ask for it, write tutorials, help out new members, volunteer to help out at shows, help promote other peoples stuff. The more respected you are you are the more likely people are to help promote what you do.

Also I would add on the flip side, you aren't entitled to fame / renown / invites to play live and there are going to be people who become better know / more well liked / whatever than you for seemingly unfair reasons. Bare that with fortitude and good grace and use it to fuel your ambition to be a better musician rather than letting it discourage you.

Paso del Rey, Argentina

Downsate said:

"Dont worry about that shit  - you're doing it wrong.

make music for yourself - if its not shit people will listen to it and before long you will have 'listeners'.

dont make music and spend your time worrying that no one is listening. they will in time if you work hard at it from your soul."

Matej said:

"Always enjoy you self and your music. Dont dream about fame. But dream about have more fun."

Lazerbeat said:

"One thing I would also suggest, contribute to the community in as positive a way you can. Give other people constructive criticism if they ask for it, write tutorials, help out new members, volunteer to help out at shows, help promote other peoples stuff. The more respected you are you are the more likely people are to help promote what you do.

Also I would add on the flip side, you aren't entitled to fame / renown / invites to play live and there are going to be people who become better know / more well liked / whatever than you for seemingly unfair reasons. Bare that with fortitude and good grace and use it to fuel your ambition to be a better musician rather than letting it discourage you."

A++++++ for all these suggestions.

I think that one of the mistakes most of us have done at a certain time is to think "far beyond the music". I remember the days of mp3.com I had a 56k modem and I lost lots of time trying to be more noticeable, while the fact was that my music was not good enough. I, then, realized that it was better to invest my time in becoming a better musician and to enjoy the moments of creating music instead of trying to promote myself at all cost.
It does not mean that one should not participate in forums, or spread words about the music one have done. But the focus should be in the music itself. In enjoying, having fun. I appreciate the fact that in other languages than my own, the verb used to describe the act of performing music is "play". And that is all about, play music like the way we played with toys during childhood.
Also, the term "success" is a very lousy one. I know (we all know) lots of musicians (or musical products) that have reached fame, but they are not succesful. On the contrary, I may talk about a jazz guitarist who I knew through the web, that it is not widely known outside certain circles, even in jazz and in his own country he is not widely know, but the man earn his living playing music, and traveled through more than 30 countries because of his musical activity. So, would you call that man unsuccessful?

Last edited by wandering genie (Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm)

rochester, ny
Lazerbeat wrote:

One thing I would also suggest, contribute to the community in as positive a way you can. Give other people constructive criticism if they ask for it, write tutorials, help out new members, volunteer to help out at shows, help promote other peoples stuff. The more respected you are you are the more likely people are to help promote what you do.

Also I would add on the flip side, you aren't entitled to fame / renown / invites to play live and there are going to be people who become better know / more well liked / whatever than you for seemingly unfair reasons. Bare that with fortitude and good grace and use it to fuel your ambition to be a better musician rather than letting it discourage you.

Perfect advice.

Brunswick, GA USA
Lazerbeat wrote:

Here lies the most frustrating thing about being a musician. I know from my own experiences that all the ideas mentioned here work but are not guarantees that you'll make money or really anything besides some music. It can be worse than a gambling addiction, so at least our gear isn't expensive.

Thanks guys for all the advice! I'll keep in mind to make the music for myself.

Seattle, WA US

dick pics

England

create drama and draw attention to yourself in a negative manner (eqavox, superpowerless et al)

pretend to be a girl

New Albany Indiana

whorish publicity

Darkness
nickmaynard wrote:

Don't be spammy.

Don't be hypey.

Don't be anything but genuine.

Don't be concerned with "how to get your music out there".

Just write stuff you like and release professional material often. Be a nice guy.