Boston, MA
otakumode wrote:

this whole project won't happen.

Nottingham, UK

We can believe.

I would be interested to see at least a native VGE (from VGM Music Maker) or VGM player that had:
* better visuals than just a static screen, like actually showing the notes being played in the style of a tracker or some other visualization
* an interface to toggle different patterns, sections or tracks, making it more useful for live performance

Milwaukee, WI

STj for the Genesis maaaan, make it happen

ad-hell-aide
metropeak wrote:

I would be interested to see at least a native VGE (from VGM Music Maker) or VGM player that had:
* better visuals than just a static screen, like actually showing the notes being played in the style of a tracker or some other visualization
* an interface to toggle different patterns, sections or tracks, making it more useful for live performance

Sounds awesome!

Solar System

I vote for VGMamp player too. With equaliser and song name, playback info and quick load menu...

Is this native sega tracker project still going? Or am I just necroposting?

Yeah, very interesting to know...

FRANCE

+1
I made a bunch of roms for testing the CSM speech synthesis mode on the genesis hardware during the development of my FMDRIVE VST synth, I should release these one day...nothing like a tracker but you can sort of play with it smile

Aly James wrote:

+1
I made a bunch of roms for testing the CSM speech synthesis mode on the genesis hardware during the development of my FMDRIVE VST synth, I should release these one day...nothing like a tracker but you can sort of play with it smile

Would be nice!:)

Retired

How about a kick starter project of some kind? I'd be happy to donate/finance such project.

rochester, ny
??? wrote:

How about a kick starter project of some kind? I'd be happy to donate/finance such project.

I would only donate if the person was someone with a long track record of developing for the Genesis.

I know this is probably a lost cause but...
I really want this project to happen!! I don't know anything about building trackers, but I would be happy to do anything to help someone build this. Maybe help with the graphics??? I could make it look all nice and sega-ry, haha

babylon

guy that started the thread hasnt posted on the site in half a year. unless someone who offered to help him has heard something we havent i think this is officially not happening. which is a damn dirty shame.

I have been working with Mike Stamper since February, the guy who wrote VGMPLAY, to co-ordinate an improved native VGM player - it will feature playback controls and a Chaotix soundtest style piano view as the song plays.

He has been trying to move the VGM player coding from the 68K processor to the Z80 chip to free up up the 68K for more playback and graphical enhancements.  Problem is the Z80 is not fun to program for, so it has been taking a while for him to do. It's not a fully fledged tracker but will still have a number of usability improvements as well as graphical. I suggested the following to him:

Track Controls: Play/Pause/Resume, and "trigger keys" - a certain controller button or combo triggers instant playback of a specific track.
Snap-to-Bar A-B Loop: If it can detect the start of each bar, a way of doing an A-B loop between bars would be great for live performance and improvisation.
Transpose: being able to transpose the VGM up or down.
Flexible Playlist: in-ROM playlist sequence setup (with option to wait for trigger on track-end, or continue automatically)

Suggested here:
Mute/Solo Channels - Thanks herr_prof
Tempo Adjustment - Thanks Theta_Frost

How many of these features will appear in the final version remains to be seen but he has shown interest in all of them. Please post if you're interested in seeing this happen, since Mike needs to know there is support out there for him to be motivated enough to get this complete.

Last edited by metropeak (May 28, 2013 9:14 pm)

Unsubscribe

Would the playlist work with loop points? For example you could make a series of 8 bar vgm songs, set the playlist to play one song 4 time, one song five times, and viola you have a pretty flexible song mode with live jamming possibilites.

Oh yea: fr: channel mutes and solos.