Philthydelphia

Looks like this thread has had a bit of a resuscitation. Might as well add my own two cents.

I come from a very formal musical performance background, picking up piano in my early years as well as violin in grade school. Middle school came around and my aunt enabled my desire to play drums. I took drum lessons for nearly 7 years with the same teacher before going off on my own and going to college for music education. In between that, I picked up guitar, bass, organ, alto saxophone, and a little bit of trumpet, but my main instrument was always percussion and I was selected to several high school honors bands over the course of my junior and senior years for it. I then had the pleasure of playing both in battery and front ensemble in college marching band. Under Matt Lusky (spokesperson and educator sponsored by Vic Firth) my knowledge grew vastly as a percussionist, and to this day I use that knowledge in all of my writing, whether it be my solo prog rock project, my chiptune works, or anything else I delve into.

Matthew Joseph Payne

tl;dr version - I've studied a few instruments formally - piano, trombone, bass guitar, voice, organ. I've taught myself a few instruments - drums, percussion, euphonium, accordion, others. I studied composition in college and am an active composer for hire and for myself. I've played in some weird bands.

Last edited by kineticturtle (Mar 22, 2013 9:07 pm)

Alive and well in fucksville

dabbled in guitar in highschool. put it down for 5 years. went to college for music education. bought some chiptuney stuff. went through the saberpulse tutorial.

Youngstown, OH

Played guitar since age 12 (13 years), play in an established, touring band, studied theory and composition of music at university for four years, basically always worked on music in some shape or form at all hours of every day, including trackers. Also dabble in creating soundfonts by ripping sounds from SNES roms. It's all paying off, finally.

Chicago, IL

Played in ska bands as a teenager... was trained by youtubes.

Last edited by BeatScribe (Apr 12, 2013 3:19 pm)

Planet Zaxxon

Grew up with a piano and guitar in the house.
school bands, pep bands, all-state bands, jazz band yada yada  (clarinet grades 4-8, then guitar and drums in high school)
That was all just reading music though. But maybe midway through high school, I began writing my own music. Then had some quick lessons on drums.

I had music theory classes/composition in college, but I barely passed those.

Now I just make everything up!