it does have a little latency, that said unless you are trying to play things in real time (as opposed to playing back pretracked material) it doesn't really matter.

I absolutely love using sunvox on my android jxd s5300 (chinese psp knockoff) as the dpad and buttons make for a more enjoyable experience than tracking on my iphone (that and the fact that it's a game console seem to make it feel a little more chipmusic) so I accept the limitation.

Austin, Texas
stargazer wrote:
Telerophon wrote:

That's a valid point. I suppose one could say that those operating systems are similar enough to full-on modern PC operating systems that they don't need to be considered differently. That said, the end user experience is typically very different and it favors different creative processes. I haven't gotten to play with the MilkyTracker port for Android. Do you use a keyboard to track in it?

Regardless, I just wanted to discuss whether or not those platforms might merit their own discussion area.

I was actually trying to agree with you! As for tracking, you could get by without a keyboard but the mouse is awful. You really do need a mouse. Well I'm on a nexus 4 but maybe if you were on a tablet you could get by.

I think android has a ton of untapped potential for music apps. Its kind of frustrating I guess, but if you want to be artsy you need apple products. Or so I'm told.

Oh! Cool, man. big_smile

I didn't mean to be like that, sorry. You don't need an Apple product to be "Artsy," most of the good music software that's been written is available for both, and you have more hardware options for Android…

On that note, I don't know enough about Android to have an informed opinion, but how much of the audio latency problem do you think has to do with the hardware you're typically using it on? I bet if someone built a ground-up integrated Android DAW it wouldn't have that problem…

Gosford, Australia
Telerophon wrote:

On that note, I don't know enough about Android to have an informed opinion, but how much of the audio latency problem do you think has to do with the hardware you're typically using it on? I bet if someone built a ground-up integrated Android DAW it wouldn't have that problem…

i think it's mainly the audio drivers
caustic is probably the closest thing to a ground-up android DAW
but caustic would still suck even with low-latency audio haha

Last edited by Victory Road (Apr 12, 2013 3:24 am)

NC in the US of America
9H05T wrote:

it does have a little latency, that said unless you are trying to play things in real time (as opposed to playing back pretracked material) it doesn't really matter.

I absolutely love using sunvox on my android jxd s5300 (chinese psp knockoff) as the dpad and buttons make for a more enjoyable experience than tracking on my iphone (that and the fact that it's a game console seem to make it feel a little more chipmusic) so I accept the limitation.

Man! That's a great value. Shoot... If I'd known about this thing I'd not have gotten my cheap little budget 4.3 inch tablet...

It'd be perfect for tracking LSDJ when I'm not wearing my so-baggy-Gameboy-fits-in-pocket jeans.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Apr 12, 2013 4:19 am)

SLC, UT

I got to play with one of these the other day:

If anything it would make running lsdj on an iphone a much more pleasant experience.

SketchMan3 wrote:
9H05T wrote:

Man! That's a great value. Shoot... If I'd known about this thing I'd not have gotten my cheap little budget 4.3 inch tablet...

It'd be perfect for tracking LSDJ when I'm not wearing my so-baggy-Gameboy-fits-in-pocket jeans.

yeah, I thought about starting a thread about these as they're cheaper than dingoos and run sunvox and milky out of the box.

also, the s602 is cool (and lighter and cheaper and even smaller) but the screen is resistive. however, it works quite well with a ds stylus.

Last edited by 9H05T (Apr 12, 2013 5:17 pm)