I love "Game Boy Rock"! heart
for what it's worth

washington
Wizwars wrote:

beat people up with sound

this sounds like sheer awesomeness.

Youngstown, OH
Wizwars wrote:

I can also craft fairly decent melodies [...] to beat people up with sound.

Douglas, Wyoming

What di you mean old music? My music still sucks ass

babylon

i recognize that my music is and always has been amateurish at best. anything ive ever written is never backed up then gets deleted when i need more room. it doesnt bother me though, ive played a few shows when people ask me to which will consist of what i currently have but ive never felt the need to "release" anything. honestly if more people were just cool with sucking and didnt feel the need to throw everything they make on bandcamp, then chipmusic in general would probably benefit.

BK

I used to write some terrible music. I still do, but I used to, too </mitchhedberg>

México, DF.

It was part of the learning proccess, so it is OK.
I still need to work a lot on my songwritting, but I'm happy with programming skills and wave manipulation.

Madison, Alabama
Wizwars wrote:

if I'm at all remembered in the scene when I eventually go away it will most likely be for Chipthrash and not happy stuff like "Game Boy Rock". Put a lot less work into the chipthrash tho, to be honest.

I like your older, more melodic work a lot more.  But I'm a melody guy.

re: the topic.  By the time I started writing chip I was very comfortable with my music composition abilities, so I still enjoy my older chiptunes. My programming skills have improved, but I still like the melodies and chord progressions of my older stuff.

Finland

Yeah, no. I try not to think about my older stuff. It's not even online anywhere so neither can anyone else. tongue

But hmm... It hasn't been that much of a change I'm afraid. I guess the only thing that's really changed about how I make music is how much I know about general stuff that goes into what makes something a song, and learning software on top of that.
But I'm still as big a moron when it comes to actual music-knowledge as I've ever been. I'll probably learn more and more as I go along, no point in obsessing over it, methinks. smile

Comment removed.

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 7:06 am)

New York, United States

I think almost all of my music I made like before 2012 is just really embarrassing, including some songs/doodles I've made in 2012/2013 too, I have a ton of unreleased things because I just couldn't listen to them without shuddering from how bad they are

I think i've gotten a lot worse.

Nottingham, UK

My song writing developed a long time before my production skills did. I did some stuff in 2010/2011 that it's really catchy if you can get past the fact that it sounds like shit. That's because I'd been making music in a band setting for years before even touching a DAW.

The hardest thing for me was naturally moving between sections. I still struggle with it actually. In a band situation you just rattle off little fills you don't even think about, bit harder when you're setting it in stone.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Apr 19, 2013 7:52 pm)

Finland
zebra wrote:

I think i've gotten a lot worse.

You know. It's not impossible.
There's a strength in being "new" to something. Your mind doesn't need to worry itself with any limitations, techniques and other stuff like that and you are more relaxed in what you do. There's strength in ignorance in this context.

This isn't meant directly at anyone, I'm just saying that this is a real thing that happens. But it's also temporary.
Everybody gets better after being hit in the face with that sack of bricks that is reality. smile
I've been decked numerous times in all areas in which I try to create something, it takes time to recuperate.

Right now I'm in this state still when it comes to my music. I create stuff without the *slightest clue* about proper ways and techniques and I feel as it's finally starting to pile up. There are hundreds of things I have to learn and cope with...

Unsubscribe

Unheralded classics.

Melbourne, Australia

Compositionally, I don't hate my old stuff at all (even all the way back to being an 8 year old sitting at the piano). They were certainly much more naive pieces though.