Cambridge UK

I guess that's how the Americans see it.
It's really hard to describe, though.
First words that come to my mind would be dereliction, bohemian, stagnation, party, mutli-culturalism, debauchery, Frenglish, overrated.
Honestly, I've traveled to a couple of big cities, mainly Paris and US East Coast and Montreal is nothing like it, even if some people will try and describe that city as a mix of both. It's nothing like the rest of Quebec, and even less like the rest of Canada either. Come experience it for yourself...

Last edited by George (Mar 26, 2010 2:55 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

*viewer discretion is advised*

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
George wrote:

First words that come to my mind would be dereliction, bohemian, stagnation, party, mutli-culturalism, debauchery, Frenglish, overrated.

all things that dont come to mind when i think of the united states outside of the east coast and maybe part of the west coasts.. the rest are a bunch of religious conservative hicks.. Come to the mid west and you can experience the love here.. tongue

BOSTON
low-gain wrote:
George wrote:

Not to brag or anything, but we have been getting good turnouts in Mtl : we did about 80 for a show in the middle of February on a Thursday night and Toy Company usually brings anywhere from 200 to 300 people.

Is mtl part of the united states? If i remember correctly. isn't MTL like the closest thing to being in Europe w/o actually being in Europe?
Totally doesn't count

Boston 8Bit shows have been doing 300-400ppl recently, and at top venues. Granted, we keep the ticket cost pretty low, but still... thats a pretty big deal. Also, the local media has been very receptive; interviews with artists, features in local magazines, etc. A lot of people are working really hard and there is some serious scene building going on here, NYC, Philly. 

not to interrupt the pity party or anything ;D

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Mar 26, 2010 3:40 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Boston 8Bit shows have been doing 300-400ppl recently, and at top venues. Granted, we keep the ticket cost pretty low, but still... thats a pretty big deal. Also, the local media has been very receptive; interviews with artists, features in local magazines, etc. A lot of people are working really hard and there is some serious scene building going on here, NYC, Philly. 

not to interrupt the pity party or anything ;D

Once again.. East Coast.
300-400... wtf.. why haven't we been seeing live footage video coming out of boston!? c'mon boston.. get your shit together! smile

United States
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Boston 8Bit shows have been doing 300-400ppl recently, and at top venues. Granted, we keep the ticket cost pretty low, but still... thats a pretty big deal.

Could you please tell me which venues these are?

New York City
low-gain wrote:

isn't MTL like the closest thing to being in Europe w/o actually being in Europe?

No, MTL is totally like USA but they speak french. It has to be the less european french-speaking place i have seen.

IL, US
low-gain wrote:
George wrote:

all things that dont come to mind when i think of the united states outside of the east coast and maybe part of the west coasts.. the rest are a bunch of religious conservative hicks.. Come to the mid west and you can experience the love here.. tongue

we also have chicago smile

IL, US
akira^8GB wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

Nikaena Vizukae was on one of their "reality" shows

I meant Mr. Spastic's music. A bit more related to this forum wink

i know, was just being literal for humor value smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
e.s.c. wrote:
low-gain wrote:

we also have chicago smile

what about chicago? lol

rochester, ny

who do i have to blow to get my band on this show?

Unsubscribe

Have to, or SHOULD?

Cambridge UK
akira^8GB wrote:
low-gain wrote:

isn't MTL like the closest thing to being in Europe w/o actually being in Europe?

No, MTL is totally like USA but they speak french. It has to be the less european french-speaking place i have seen.

Yeah, all those French-speaking African cities are very European...

New York City
George wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Yeah, all those French-speaking African cities are very European...

Read again: "I HAVE SEEN"
Never been in Africa.

Cambridge UK

I was just pointing out that Africa has some of the biggest French speaking communities, that' s all smile

Cambridge UK

Hey just a question/observation/comment/etc... regarding chip shows in Mtl vs the rest of the East Coast.
We've been having a "problem" here : people don't really drink at chip shows in Montreal, though Montreal as a whole is a drinking city.
I mean, it's bad : venues make 50% or even less in alcohol sales than they would usually make with any other comparable turnout.
How is that an issue : with turnouts like that, we should be able to book venues for free/at discount. But it's the other way around : we sell-out at the door, but sometimes have to pay extra fees because the bar didn't even break even, and/or venues aren't interested in having us again.
It's not like I want people to drink more but, as someone who's involved with booking/organizing/promoting I sometimes think "if everyone here only had ONE drink just to help support the venue..." But yeah, I guess that most people don't understand that supporting the venue, just by having a 7up or something, they help support future shows.

From what I have seen in NYC, that doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Any input from the rest of the East Coast/US/World?