shanghai

hmm i wouldnt see myself feeling comfortable doing this.
wouldnt see myself paying anyone through this either tbh.
i know in a world where people are getting increasingly reluctant to pay for music that there needs to be ways for people to get money but.........
i dunno it seems a redundant service to me.
make a decent ep / video / book and people will pay to support it.
im aware alot of us low level artists are almost expected to give a pay what you want release thesedays, but i still pay for shit frequently if i like it.
I'll admit there have been albums i passed up because they weren't free - but there have also been albums i would never ever have passed up just because they were 10 quid. i figure the albums i will only get for free are simply stuff i deem obviously to be good, but not so good that i cant live without them.
im making a point somewhere soon i hope. er maybe my points is 'make stuff good enough that people dont mind paying for your releases'.
i give my shit away for free unless it physical. this basically tells me deep down that i know havent made something truely wicked yet / established a big enough following that id be confident of getting 500 downloads when its got a price.
i see kickstarter in a similar way.
i would like to add this is my personal view from a musicians side. i say good luck to anyone that uses this and kickstarter and makes the money they need to do what they have planned. i saw anamanaguchi's one yesterday and i say massive props to them.  im certainly not saying i disagree with these things in general. they now have almost 100k to go on tour, make cool shit and thats pretty fucking rad and fair play to them.
and there was my contradiction too
shouldn't type after first spliff post work. makes me ramble
also this is a distinct possibility

Jellica wrote:

hello please can you send me money so i can sit in my room and smoke weed and make tunes rather than having to get a job thank you xoxo

Brunswick, GA USA

This idea will be replaced with a better one, so it has my respect.

sweden

Reminds me of http://flattr.com/

NC in the US of America

hello please can you send me money so i can sit in my room and smoke weed and make tunes rather than having to get a job thank you xoxo

But isn't that how it normally is anyway? Well, substitute room for studio? The whole point of having a patron is to do what you like full-time while being sustained and not starving to death... Isn't it?
I'm actually only half-serious and I agree with you.

"If I had a patron
chuppy chippy-chippy chippy-chippy-chippy-chippy chum
Then all day long I'd biddy-biddy-bum
If I was on patreoooOOOON"

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 9, 2013 3:03 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

The similarity to a brand of tequila probably doesn't hurt. I also think it may help avoid certain issues I had with donation fraud. It just needs to be more like providing a service and less like begging.

Last edited by chunter (May 9, 2013 3:57 pm)

Toronto, Canada

Or another more cynical way of looking at it is yet another way for some middleman to siphon money off of your transactions. i.e. Patreon and their credit card service take 8% of all the money that gets funnelled through it, much like how Kickstarter works. This is the real motivation for automatic monthly payments.

So... for a $20 payment, you are paying them $1.60 to "help" you give $18.40 to some artist you like. Great. You would normally get more money to them sending that $20 through Paypal, and at least Paypal is pretty up-front about being a middleman. Or you could just mail them a cheque! It'd probably get there before the end of the month.

Last edited by rainwarrior (May 9, 2013 5:31 pm)

rainwarrior wrote:

Or another more cynical way of looking at it is yet another way for some middleman to siphon money off of your transactions. i.e. Patreon and their credit card service take 8% of all the money that gets funnelled through it, much like how Kickstarter works. This is the real motivation for automatic monthly payments.

So... for a $20 payment, you are paying them $1.60 to "help" you give $18.40 to some artist you like. Great. You would normally get more money to them sending that $20 through Paypal, and at least Paypal is pretty up-front about being a middleman. Or you could just mail them a cheque! It'd probably get there before the end of the month.

That's true, but you can't expect to get something for nothing, they're providing you with a platform for your blog, a method of maintaining a database of paying customers, and a means of distributing content to all of those customers. Surely that's worth 8%. 92% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Unsubscribe

Also if they become successful, a trusted escrow to hold money for people on the bubble about sending strangers money. I think its worth it to avoid the hassle of credit card merchant setups

Nottingham, UK

If people want to give money to people they like so they can do something they want them to do, why not let them?

Their logo looks like the pinterest logo.

Toronto, Canada

I'm not stopping anybody, ForaBrokenEar.