Well I think because chiptune is, by nature, limiting that it's normal as a musician to want to experiment with other sounds and instruments. That's why I've always done hybrid chip. Every once in a while I just want to write something on a guitar, real drums, etc. I assume it's the same with everyone else. The limitations of chiptune are great, because they force you to be inventive within' their confines. But every now and again, you're really just going to want to play some stoner metal.

Last edited by NationalBroadcastNetwork (May 18, 2013 9:41 pm)

Bronx, NY
NationalBroadcastNetwork wrote:

Well I think because chiptune is, by nature, limiting that it's normal as a musician to want to experiment with other sounds and instruments. That's why I've always done hybrid chip. Every once in a while I just want to write something on a guitar, real drums, etc. I assume it's the same with everyone else. The limitations of chiptune are great, because they force you to be inventive within' their confines. But every now and again, you're really just going to want to play some stoner metal.

I agree with that entirely, and examples of people who fall into the same category are abundant.  That's not to say chip by itself isn't worth sticking with or can't stand on its own, but I feel for the people who do love chip but branch out to others things because they want to explore what else is out there (as opposed to chasing fads) is analogous to allowing a sketch artist who's worked primarily in technical pencils to pastels or whatever other medium they prefer.  If they choose to intertwine the mediums, so be it, cause that's even better for us as a whole.  and if they choose to leave it altogether, then at least we had a good thing with them for a little while. 

although I do have to say, in relation to what Monotron said, I do have say that I don't see pure chip as often as I do chip hybrid, and I think after having spoken with guys like DJ Zircon (not to be confused with Zircon from OCRemix) and Decktonic, there are also people who really technically define themselves or are defined by the public as a genre other than chip (such as Industrial or EDM respectively in the two examples I brought up), despite the fact that they themselves feel most at home with chiptune as community than any other scene.  That's fine, too.  But jumping from scene to scene for the purposes of fame or a quick buck as opposed to a certain level of artistry is a bit shameful (although I will give some leeway to the people who define themselves a little more strictly as DJs than anything else, as its sort of the nature of the beast to follow trends, even if you're a genre specific DJ).

Milwaukee, WI
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Now I'm not passing judgement,

Yes you are.

NC in the US of America
TSC wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

Now I'm not passing judgement,

Yes you are.

And the verdict is:

"I think its a good thing in certain regards and at the very least leads to a diversity of sound"

???

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 19, 2013 12:52 am)

Madison, Alabama

I feel like this whole thread is secretly about how Sabrepulse doesn't really sound like anything I think of as "chipmusic" and recently announced on Facebook that he was thinking about starting a chipmusic tour.

Bronx, NY
roboctopus wrote:

I feel like this whole thread is secretly about how Sabrepulse doesn't really sound like anything I think of as "chipmusic" and recently announced on Facebook that he was thinking about starting a chipmusic tour.

I was not aware of that.  =O Kuma would go.

Madison, Alabama
Kuma wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

I was not aware of that.  =O Kuma would go.

lol. I would go too! big_smile

But Sabrepulse has sounded more like "EDM/Electro with some chip elements" for awhile, so that's the first thing I thought of.

Alive and well in fucksville

Chiptune is sort of an umbrella term, don't you think? I mean I can make a (insert style) song in lsdj and it is chiptune

hiding under your bed

Chip is a medium, not a genre.

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
PianoGameboy wrote:

I think this is more accurate.

Brunswick, GA USA

I felt a similar feeling when a few oldbys started showing off eurorack synths and the more of these stories I hear, the more I am torn between two thoughts:

This is inevitable, and part of pushing the envelope of a style

And

This style has passed its zenith and is about to land on the other side of the shark.

Last edited by chunter (May 19, 2013 4:13 am)

hiding under your bed
xX 8 BIT CHAMPION Xx wrote:
PianoGameboy wrote:

I think this is more accurate.

I mean, can you really say that Bud Melvin and Electric Children are the same genre?

One of my biggest peeves is when people lump together entirely different genres just because they used the same medium and assume that it all sounds the same.
I've gotten a few more friends into chip recently by starting them off with The J. Arthur Keenes Band, Anamanaguchi, and the like, and working from that towards other stuff, but if I just started them right out with Part II of Moe Moe Kyunstep, Bud Melvin, or Supercommuter, they probably wouldn't have taken to it as well as they have and moved on by now.

Last edited by PianoGameboy (May 19, 2013 4:24 am)

Earth

I think that if you started listening to chiptune when it sounded like Ron Hubbard, then Sabrepulse may seem like not-chiptunes. And you'd be right, in a way, because words are pretty imprecise. I didn't start using the word chiptune till relatively recently anyway. Before then I just made up words for "old computer music". If you started by listening to Electric Children, then you have a completely different genre in your head, than classic chiptunes.

Neo Jersey

personally what bothers me more is when artists that were never even chiptune related to begin with are labeled as chiptune. yo know like, when someone just throws a couple square waves in their music. but i guess first you gotta define what "chiptune" is to you.

montreal, qc
HPizzle wrote:

personally what bothers me more is when artists that were never even chiptune related to begin with are labeled as chiptune. yo know like, when someone just throws a couple square waves in their music. but i guess first you gotta define what "chiptune" is to you.

yeah, that, like, totally sucks and all.

California
PianoGameboy wrote:

I mean, can you really say that Bud Melvin and Electric Children are the same genre?

One of my biggest peeves is when people lump together entirely different genres just because they used the same medium and assume that it all sounds the same.
I've gotten a few more friends into chip recently by starting them off with The J. Arthur Keenes Band, Anamanaguchi, and the like, and working from that towards other stuff, but if I just started them right out with Part II of Moe Moe Kyunstep, Bud Melvin, or Supercommuter, they probably wouldn't have taken to it as well as they have and moved on by now.

This is true and all, but I don't think the "issue" is whether they're in the same genre or not, it's more along the lines of "when does 'chiptune EDM' (or whatever genre you want) become 'EDM with chiptune elements'" or just straight EDM . A lot of pop songs these days have the occasional square wave or arpeggio here and there, but they aren't considered chiptune by most people.