matt's mind

the guy who did the youtube video linked to above did a bunch of videos on this console

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … cTz91Sbk6e

including clock modding

Spain

Edited main post. When I have the time I'll hook one of the GBBs to my UX1 and record something.

http://chipmusic.org/thebitman/music/ri … ur-version
Just to bump for those interested. Sorry I couldn't buy from you thedimitry, found a deal too good to give up.

For those interested: aspect ratio is a little wacky but totally workable for reading and playing, pitch seems a little off, hates pitch bends and vibrato but I am not sure if it has to do with LSDJ or the CPU of the device (leaning towards CPU though). If you want to know how something sounds on it, let me know. I used my most CPU-intensive track "Rises" which typically lags out DMGs a bit, saw no hit in performance. Buttons are meh, I personally hate their responsiveness but my girlfriend who plays tons of XBOX thinks they are great.

Also, nitro2k01 found a source for his and will have a writeup eventually. I don't have the security bit to get the screws off (yup, same kind as what is on GB cartridges) and built in games.

Discuss.

EDIT FOR UPDATES:

Link port appears to be GBA-GBA SP styled, does not function at all with GBC link cable. IR port is nonexistant. 188 game slots, same 24 or so games repeat in list, bring up game list by booting with no cartridge. Functional bootup color palette options for DMG games just like normal GBC. Confirmed intolerance of any serious pitch bending via P, L, or V commands in LSDJ. Pitch bends do not like commercial ROMs either. Operates slightly slower than real hardware, discernible when playing the same song on real GBC in LSDJ, half-second lag appears after ~1 minute of audio playing. Cannot be case swapped with standard GBC, scerwholes do not line up at all on boards, unsure of whether or not it would be safe to drill.

\
This thing was really close to being a serious piece of chiptune hardware, not sure if I can give up V, P, and L commands to use this. More than good enough for playing games, however, so it will be nice to have for my single-player non-music endeavors.

Last edited by thebitman (May 8, 2013 2:13 am)

Spain

Sweet review! I've put the Crystal one on eBay if anyone's still interested: http://www.ebay.es/itm/271203321541?ssP … 1586.l2649

Thanks!!

NC in the US of America

I just have to say, after listening to thebitman's demo, the noise channel on that GB Boy Colour is quite snappy! I like it big_smile

Santa Cruz, California

Do you think the innards will fit inside of an actual CGB?
If it does; I'm totally down with purchasing one.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (May 8, 2013 10:52 pm)

Teh D3th St4r wrote:

Do you think the innards will fit inside of an actual CGB?
If it does; I'm totally down with purchasing one.

thebitman wrote:

http://chipmusic.org/thebitman/music/ri … ur-version
Cannot be case swapped with standard GBC, scerwholes do not line up at all on boards, unsure of whether or not it would be safe to drill.

wink

NC in the US of America

What would be the point of having a GBC clone inside of a GBC shell anyway? That takes away the whole "coolness" factor of having something unusual, especially considering the sound problems that it has, disregarding the coolness of the noise channel. If anything, I'd rather put a real  GBC inside of  a GBBC case.

Santa Cruz, California
SketchMan3 wrote:

What would be the point of having a GBC clone inside of a GBC shell anyway? That takes away the whole "coolness" factor of having something unusual, especially considering the sound problems that it has, disregarding the coolness of the noise channel. If anything, I'd rather put a real  GBC inside of  a GBBC case.

Don't question my methods wink
I always have a plan of unparalleled radness for everything I touch.
While I am a humongous fan of bootleg consoles, I had something very specific in mind with this case swap.
Shame that they don't line up though.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (May 9, 2013 5:24 pm)

NC in the US of America

Well, maybe you could sacrifice one for science and see how safe drilling would be?

fwiw, the question was a real honest to goodness sincere question. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the plan turns out.

Spain

The GBB is slightly bigger than the GBC so the innards will not fit. I have seen a GBA SP clone with "GB Boy Colour" written on it (probbaly has a much smaller PCB but can only play GB/GBC games). Now THAT should fit anywhere.

I'll see if I can find one like that but it'll be difficult.

Santa Cruz, California
SketchMan3 wrote:

fwiw, the question was a real honest to goodness sincere question. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the plan turns out.

No doubt, man.
I'm just sayin' that I had a plan.
You should see my ridiculous bootleg collection. I appreciate weird and unusual hardware... still trying to find a Game Fighter.

Nottingham

Hey, I'm the guy who did the videos smile,

Contrary to above - The console DOES work with a link cable + Arduinoboy, I've done a new video to demonstrate it sending midi pulses, and I've had it linked up as a slave to a TR-505.

You can clock mod these with the ltc1799 chip, the clock is at the top, behind the built in games daughter-board. (basically the inside of a cart, but reduced size, mapped to the cartridge-bay terminals via little traces.)

The link cable I have only works in one direction however, I'm not sure if this is usual, i'm too old for Pokemans. It's a third party GBC/DMG cable.

I have the Chinese seller's details if anyone is interested, you can contact me through Youtube (I'm not on here that much), I believe he has around 20 of these left.

Taichung, Taiwan
CircuitBen wrote:

Hey, I'm the guy who did the videos smile,
I have the Chinese seller's details if anyone is interested, you can contact me through Youtube (I'm not on here that much), I believe he has around 20 of these left.

yes please!