Brisbane, Australia

So i've just finished prosounding a gameboy that i've been working on, and i've bent the LCD cable too much to the point where some of the wire has snapped internally. I've not seen anyone replace a ribbon cable on an LCD before. Has anyone here had experience with this?

I've cut up an old PC IDE cable and i'm planning on using that to solder the wire straight to the back PCB.

Here's a picture of my DMG after the ribbon failed:

Here's the ribbon (I know, i need to teach myself how to stop bending them to get them in!):

And the (tiny) IDE cable that i'm planning on using:

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's probably a doable fix, but given how inexpensive and readily available Game Boys are, I'd probably just buy a new Game Boy (a really scuffed up one is maybe $5-10 locally) and use it as a donor.

If you're a bit of a steady solderer, it should be doable. I used IDE cables to connect a screen to a super gameboy, worked like a charm.

Brisbane, Australia

I'm not sure i'm quite game enough. Soldering the wire onto the back PCB is nice and easy, but trying to solder onto the front PCB behind the LCD is a real bitch. Not really sure what other options there are so i'm gonna let it sit for a while!

Chicago
jackary wrote:

Has anyone here had experience with this?

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/8125/ … lcd-issue/
Wiring the screen board directly to the main pcb is possible, but not entirely practical. If you do go ahead and attempt this I'd recommend doing something innovative with the wires so it will close properly. Good luck!

Brisbane, Australia

Theres some flat heatshrink cabling that my local electronics store sells (that Im guessing is made for ribbon cables). Ill give it a go and see what happens!

matt's mind

i'm thinking maybe i should have some replacements of that particular cable made?

yes?  i'll do it if there is a need...  needed to eventually anyways, what better time than now!

Finland
kitsch wrote:

i'm thinking maybe i should have some replacements of that particular cable made?

yes?  i'll do it if there is a need...  needed to eventually anyways, what better time than now!

YES! I think this would be a fantastic idea. smile

Brisbane, Australia
kitsch wrote:

That would be awesome! I'm sure plenty of people (including me, of course wink) would be interested!

Still, the main problem is the fact that it's so difficult to move a soldering iron within the fine space behind the LCD (without melting the plastic or the LCD itself).
Ugh, gameboy modding will be the death of me!

How are the LCD PCB's coming along, kitsch?

Last edited by jackary (Jun 1, 2013 3:19 pm)

matt's mind

the LCDs themselves are just about done (which is the overwhelming bulk of the hard part of the project), the PCB for it is awaiting the LCD, and then its the real crunch time getting everything integrated together.  fun fun.

ok, i'll have a look at getting these remade!  i need a way to connect the new front PCBs with the original backs, so needed to make this style 'cable' at some point anyways, so it works out all the same in the long run for me. 

people will have to pop up the plastic frame from the PCB to do this, but it shouldn't be too big a deal I don't think.  regardless, i've gotta do it, so yeah, i'll just get started on this right now and make them available individually and then i'll have them done later.

(strangely and awesomely), my ex-GF has offered to help me doing kitsch-bent stuff the rest of the weekend.  its a great time to bust my ass and get stuff wrapped up and other things started.  excited to have read this thread!

Brisbane, Australia
kitsch wrote:

the LCDs themselves are just about done (which is the overwhelming bulk of the hard part of the project), the PCB for it is awaiting the LCD, and then its the real crunch time getting everything integrated together.  fun fun.

ok, i'll have a look at getting these remade!  i need a way to connect the new front PCBs with the original backs, so needed to make this style 'cable' at some point anyways, so it works out all the same in the long run for me. 

people will have to pop up the plastic frame from the PCB to do this, but it shouldn't be too big a deal I don't think.  regardless, i've gotta do it, so yeah, i'll just get started on this right now and make them available individually and then i'll have them done later.

(strangely and awesomely), my ex-GF has offered to help me doing kitsch-bent stuff the rest of the weekend.  its a great time to bust my ass and get stuff wrapped up and other things started.  excited to have read this thread!

Awesome to hear! Glad i could help somehow wink
One of the biggest problems with the current ribbon cables is that the plastic insulation is glued on really strongly and it's near impossible to strip it off without melting it. Perhaps finding a way to add another 21-pin socket to the front LCD - and then making the cable the same on both ends - would make things easier?

World

Last edited by luftek (Aug 8, 2017 8:19 pm)

Brisbane, Australia
luftek wrote:

Today I tried to solder IDE cable (its 21 wires) to back board. I made it in 2nd try. The thing is you have to strip as few insulation as you can and them tin wires. After that you align them properly, apply pressure,hot soldering iron and viola.

Probably could also be done on front pcb if there were no plastic screen holder.

Holy shit, you are a god!
I came along this and am going to buy it within the week. Biggest problem that's stopping me attempting it at the moment is my lack of a wire-stripper. I should probably invest in one!

matt's mind

that soldering iron tip is pretty cool (but its for repairing dead LCD lines due to shoddy ribbon cable connections going to the LCD (the glass), not quite this sort of thing).  although i don't see why you couldn't adapt it for this, you might find it less frustrating if you do each point one by one, with a basic conical tip.  not sure how the teflon coating will affect the ability to solder either.  i'd guess it would prevent the solder from interacting with the iron's tip in some way, but really have no clue about this.  its coated to keep it from bonding to the rubber/silicone part i'm assuming.

was just poking about and ran across this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-Soldering-I … mp;vxp=mtr

its 10% off for the next some hours, and free first class shipping in USA.  the other tip you posted seems to be aussie shipping only (at least, no usa shipping).  which is fine just noticing.  and i think this whole kit is cheaper than the equivalent iron alone from radio shack.  the same seller has the tip + silicone kits, without the soldering iron, in their shop too for those of you with an iron that will take the tip.  not entirely sure that's actually a silicone part, i think they call it just rubber in the text, but for it to withstand the amount of heat that's penetrating it just a hunch its a silicone part. 

seems this is the handheld/home equivalent of the machines which make these sorts of connections in a factory.  its basically the same thing, functionally at least.  i like how this version can slide along the slilicone strip so you (presumably) don't have to move it each length/step of the way.

but, anyways, i picked up one of these tips with the silicone pressure/heat things and am very anxious to try it now.  i've been using a large chisel style solder tip for this sort of repair (dead LCD lines), because the larger surface area, so am thinking this is going to be an epiphany of sorts.  thank you soooo much for posting your find, it might even fix the dreaded horizontal lines!  new tools are so much fun big_smile

World

Last edited by luftek (Aug 8, 2017 8:19 pm)

Brisbane, Australia
kitsch wrote:

you might find it less frustrating if you do each point one by one, with a basic conical tip.

I can definitely see what you mean. I've ordered one to see how it works! I've got a bunch of front PCBs i still need to repair so that's going to be an invaluable tool for that!

kitsch wrote:

was just poking about and ran across this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-Soldering-I … mp;vxp=mtr

its 10% off for the next some hours, and free first class shipping in USA.

If it weren't from the US then i'd probably buy that iron that you posted too! But it'd end up costing me close to $35 with shipping and whatnot! I can't wait till i'm back over there again!

luftek wrote:

I bougth them for 7bucks on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Electrician-C … 1e646bd15e

they work ok.

Ordered and paid for! Now for the wait on shipping u.u