Brisbane, Australia
kitsch wrote:

while supplies last!

orders of $50 or more are getting one of the limited edition pixel art stickers KeFF has done, we picked up a whole bunch of them as a reward of sorts and to encourage the pixelart stickers project!

As of when are you sending them out? I had a few things sent out the other day from you... Would hate to have missed out! How much are they to buy on their own?

matt's mind

as of this morning basically.  there are like, ten-ish orders i have unpackaged that will get wrapped up into this, and then all orders from here on out until they run out,

i believe they were 5 euro for the set of three

Austin, TX

Can't wait to mod one of those clones!

Murcia, Spain
Boddah wrote:

Can't wait to mod one of those clones!

Neither can I to hear all your finds big_smile

matt's mind

from the newsletter

hey everybody!

great news! we just got the PCBs in for the EL backlights, so they are restocked now!

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/el_dmg

additionally, thursday customs sent in some more of their awesome variable clock v3 (VCv3) kits, so they are back as well!

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/variable-clock-v3

that's it for this newsletter. we've got some really big news coming soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

till next time, keep chipping!

matt

thanks for looking!

I bought Boner's GameBoy Light literally half an hour ago because I wanted a GBP with an EL backlight. And now you do this? tongue looking good though...

Brisbane, Australia

Aw they're so thin! STOP RELEASING NICE THINGS
I'm running out of money!

-- REMOVED --

Last edited by Enfy (Mar 5, 2019 10:49 pm)

Brisbane, Australia

How many do you have in stock kitsch? Enough to wait two weeks till i get my next pay, you reckon?

matt's mind

yep, they'll probably last two weeks

matt's mind

Justin at thursday customs is a mad man.....   such a great modder.  i asked him if I could share this picture he shared with me, and he said I could, which is really awesome of him because he looks at this accomplishment as somewhat of a goof-up (and no one likes their non-perfect stuff shared).  the image is reversed, meh, but still man, this is such a good job and i'm going to brag a little bit for you... thanks for letting me share this

*** but the best part.........  he changed out the crystal to the same type as the DMG and the pitch issues are gone!  it seems to be playing back audio in pitch with an original console now, just needed the clock mod.  great find, i'm sure every single gb boy that went out will soon have its crystal changed haha (gb boy colour doesn't clock the same rate, more to be discovered with this)

him sending the picture just sort of struck me as super nice and it made me say 'yessss' out loud which is always great, and i'm personally impressed by what he accomplished, and really wanted to share.

matt's mind

posting that reminded me....

we've been asked a bit for a photo of the gb boy colour screen, so here it is

Cleveland, OH

Thanks man! Definitely the most difficult backlight mod I've ever attempted. I had to completely desoldering one side of the ribbon cable, strip the LCD then solder it back together. The cable is very fragile. I'm confident that I will be able to master the technique on my next attempt using a hot air station.

The simple clock swap is the best news for these though! These things have a really great sound in my opinion.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Jun 5, 2013 3:26 pm)

Murcia, Spain

Yessssssssss. Now someone needs to try the clock swap in the GB Boy Colour... oh and if it works... : D

However, what happens with the characteristical noise and wav channel on the GB Boy once you change the crystal? Does it sound like the DMG ones or they remain the same?

matt's mind

^ that's a good question, never really thought about the interplay of clock speed x sample bit rate before...

if it has changed the tonal qualities at all, it might be worth sticking a 5MHz clock inside a DMG and see if wav playback is bettered somehow

(this is entirely speculative and i'm just talking out of my butt)

Murcia, Spain

I don't know if I'm about to say something tremendously stupid:
I think it won't change the sample bit rate. it should just play it "faster" (higher pitched??). I mean, the sample will still have whichever bits/seg of definition it had when it was recorded/programmed , I don't think one can really change that by changing the speed at which the processor operates, can we?

Am I answering myself too? xD (Same wave "definition", sliiiiiightly different pitch).

Now, please someone come and tell me I was, indeed, wrong.