vancouver, canada

a staggering amount of hardware simulations!  i lol'd at the speak & spell smile

Gosford, Australia
plgDavid wrote:

Thanks, but ask me GEEKY tech questions!!!!!!!

is it possible to make something like this that simulates mp3/wma compression in real time? (disregarding any codec licensing issues)
it's kinda weird, but for a while now i've desperately want an effect that lets me sweep between 16 and 320kbps, or sidechain or whatever. like a really nasty filter/crusher with all the throaty artifacts and stuff.

perth, WA

^thisthisthisthisthisthis

NC in the US of America

I wish I had some geeky technical questions to ask you, but I'm not nerdy enough myself... sad Ummm...

Victory Road wrote:
plgDavid wrote:

is it possible to make something like this that simulates mp3/wma compression in real time? (disregarding any codec licensing issues)
it's kinda weird, but for a while now i've desperately want an effect that lets me sweep between 16 and 320kbps, or sidechain or whatever. like a really nasty filter/crusher with all the throaty artifacts and stuff.

Oh snap man. Oh snap that'd be awesome.

Turku, FIN
plgDavid wrote:

How did you analyze the speakers etc ?

West Yorks, UK

so do i buy this or get a nice fat 1/8th instead?
Tough call

FRANCE
plgDavid wrote:

Greaaat, reminds me of this http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speakerp … phone.html

Chipcrusher was an instant buy smile

This is great stuff having all this DAC encoding at the fingertips (especially LPC ala speak n spell ^^), and this is a huge part of the sound and feel of retro devices.
I plan to experiment at some point with different sample encoding methods and this is reminding me that I have a bunch of pdf on audio data encoding techniques to read..

Any good sources to share? what is similar and what not?

Thx

perth, WA
Aly James wrote:

Thx

Check out the chipcrusher manual dawg, its got some cool info!!

West Yorks, UK

Yo Aly James: if you bought it so quick then I demand an FMDrive thru Chipcrusher demo now!
Especially with the interesting stuff like Speak and Spell, Arcade machines and Amiga
Thanks!

plgDavid: are there any older versions of chipsounds that run under 10.4 osx? Im sure probably not, and that this was the only thing stopping me from buying it, but its worth an ask eh?

*I remember now I was originally thinking about bidule, so the above question applies to bidule also smile

Last edited by Domu (Jun 6, 2013 1:55 pm)

Montreal
Victory Road wrote:
plgDavid wrote:

Yes in fact fraunhofer has a product like that for some encodings:
http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/bf/amm/ … lugin.html

The status of encoder licenses is that usually the OS vendor gives a license to the OS user for decoding purposes (sometimes for encoding), so some of our soundfile _decoding_ libraries use some platform specific hooks.

However encoding usually involves software license costs/patents license costs, which for a product like this might not be worth it, on top of most probably sounding totally different between MAC/PC.

Last edited by plgDavid (Jun 6, 2013 3:44 pm)

Montreal
KeFF wrote:
plgDavid wrote:

By sending test tones directly through the device's speakers - most of the time requires desoldering/soldering, closing the case, etc. I just made a small post about that process on the GBA SP:

http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.ca/201 … pulse.html

Last edited by plgDavid (Jun 6, 2013 8:12 pm)

Montreal
Domu wrote:

plgDavid: are there any older versions of chipsounds that run under 10.4 osx? Im sure probably not, and that this was the only thing stopping me from buying it, but its worth an ask eh?

*I remember now I was originally thinking about bidule, so the above question applies to bidule also smile

Current bidules should run 10.4, but only intel, but we only have 10.6+ test machines now. Older versions of chipsounds could work, but I just cant fathom to make available stuff that contains bugs I've fixed ages ago smile

Montreal
Aly James wrote:

Greaaat, reminds me of this http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speakerp … phone.html
Chipcrusher was an instant buy smile

Thanks! Yeah, some co-workers here mentioned speakerphone after I already started working on some impulse stuff at home,
from what i can gather from their site its a great library with lots of great IRs that covers stuff I dont have, which is great.

Aly James wrote:

Thx

Most of the ADPCM variants have subtle differences which are interesting but less "in your face" like the transition from LPC10 to LPCM or PWM to LPCM.

I guess the hard part more than the encoding itself is the execution. To get the "Zero order hold" or PWM done accurately  I needed to have 3 different sample rate streams buffered at once, and _that_ is one of the hardest challenges i faced in my 15+ years doing DSP/C/C++.

Even so, the reported latency is currently slightly off, and i need to revisit it  ( that means crying in a fetal position for a while )

Last edited by plgDavid (Jun 6, 2013 3:34 pm)

Turku, FIN
plgDavid wrote:
KeFF wrote:

By sending test tones (noises, clicks and sweeps) directly through the device's speakers - most of the time requires desoldering/soldering, closing the case, etc. I just made a small post about that process on the GBA SP:

http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.ca/201 … pulse.html

Hoh, wow. You are mad.  Great work!

Montreal
KeFF wrote:

Hoh, wow. You are mad.  Great work!

I always take that as a compliment!

The Hollow Earth

Good heavens, this is freakin' awesome!