Earth
Lazerbeat wrote:
Dissonance wrote:

I agree that the majority wouldn't and probably shouldn't display their sales figures, it wouldn't be ethical.. But I was wondering what the market share was.

Its vanishingly small...

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Just from my own experience, which may not be in the same ballpark as the OP.

Portsmouth
mikeeteevee wrote:

I'd be really interested to know what you think can bring to the table. If you think the market in the UK is untapped, you likely need to do some more market research. There are plenty of artists in the UK, resellers of mods and gaming stores that carry pro sound/backlit gameboys. I've had to leave a shop empty handed cuz the retro gaming shop I went to was already modding their own.

I applaud you for coming in dry here, but the chiptune scene isn't 'untapped' - if anything, it's thriving and alive. The problem is, there's no money in it. If there was, they wouldn't run Kickstarters, fundraisers etc just to have a fucking knees-up. If you come in thinking modding is easy, you'd be right, but being good takes enthusiasm.

As Jellica says, the beauty of the scene is for those who musically want to make something out of nothing. If you can't afford a Fender, you pull a gameboy out of the attic and buy a chinese cart. Many people with years of deep electronics experiences struggle to make a living off of it and they already have an established fan base and mind-blowing, ground-breaking ideas. Kitsch beat me to the punch but the way to get ahead in the scene is to be really, really into it (or drink the tears of your enemies helps) You can't fake enthusiasm.  Although don't let that stop you. Just don't think that people aren't 'trying' hard enough. Commercially, there's no value. Socially and emotionally: sure.

I recently returned a couple of gameboys to someone who had bought them stateside. The pro sound had gone on one, the screen had a bubble on the other. I took them apart, fixed them up and returned them. He asked if I wanted money. It was actually too much bother to even hook up a brother with a paypal account for a simple job. I'd got enjoyment out of it, and was happy to help. I'll bump into him at Superbyte and we'll have a beer and bond. This is pretty common in the scene so no amount of market research and two decades of running a business is going to allow you to undercut 'free'

Miketeevee your words are exactly the kind of debate I need smile What I can provide, isn't written yet, nor do I claim to be any kind of marketing saviour or anything of the sort..

My goal is simple.. raise awareness of this fantastic way of both writing and performing.. and with awareness will come growth.. that's the starting point i'd like to address.. By establishing the market (which you have so helpfully done mike, thank you) I can look at ways to help create sustainability.. those fund-raisers and things might be a thing of the past if we could just generate enough interest- leading to bigger venues, which essentially could support a touring group of artists.. Thats the thing people find it easy to forget; that you are only as good as the audience you are playing too.. and if we can change our surroundings, the audience will follow.. larger venues breed higher wages, enough to build a mortgage and a life.. Its easy to dream a dream, but it's better to live that dream, the one where you get to do what you enjoy, and be the best you can be without restriction.. an elite club of comrades who stick together through thick and thin without all the keyboard warrior nonsense.. I belonged to a record label that was very much like that,, we toured for the hell of it and we got by because that is how it was... but we never worried about our kids, or how we were going to eat, because we planned ahead... People, with awareness we could make waves!

What I would like to do is get involved with the supply of equipment, I'm too old to be a rockstar now and I'm too ugly to be a poster boy of any campaign.. My job is in the backroom, making sure that everything ticks over and that everybody has what they need.... Which was one of my questions in fact..

You know, I'd happily give out modded gameboys if I knew that the person recieving it was going to enjoy it and that it would nurture their ability to either write music or programme a game smile

Like I said, the intentions are only good... big_smile Peace out

Portsmouth

The fact that income could be vanishingly small isn't a problem.. it just means there is more work wink -breakphase

Last edited by Dissonance (Jun 7, 2013 4:01 pm)

Montreal, Canada

Troll thread keeps on trolling.

Tokyo, Japan
Dissonance wrote:

The fact that income could be vainishly small isn't a problem.. it just means there is more work wink -breakphase

So, if you could do that, that would be great!

BK

The market isn't so much "big" as it is "girthy", "thick", or "choadlike". But its really the motion in the ocean, not the size of the boat.

Portsmouth

smile thanks guys.. your thoughts are always welcome

East Kilbride, Scotland

I think you should just be honest here and say that you're looking to set up a business involved with chiptune that makes you money (the expanding to the masses line is a lot of shite, and we can all see right through it). Look at the people abroad that do well from it (and look closely at the ones in the UK that have failed and why - e.g. DJ Transformer), research the costs, look inwards at your own skills and just set it up. You can always dip your toe in the water then expand. Set something up, and then through e-mail, your customers can tell you what they want. When Kitsch was making new buttons/cases/etc he always takes on board the most requested colours, because he wants people to buy them. Simple.

Freak Assassins wrote:

Maybe A Kitsch-Bent, Based In England. No More Stupid $s Or Shippin Fees For Me Then

You'd have to have a heart of coal not to find this a little bit endearing and funny. Shut up dollars! I hate the way I get 50% more of you for my pounds!

edit: forgot basic maths.

double edit: A UK Kitsch-Bent? DJ Transformer found that an imaginary deity was more lucrative than chiptune. GLHF.

Last edited by mikeeteevee (Jun 7, 2013 3:46 pm)

wait... chiptune is 'Industrial' music now?

Last edited by Cementimental (Jun 7, 2013 3:49 pm)

Montreal, Canada

Portsmouth

Believe it or not.. I don't need money, I am not a capitalist.. I have enough for me already.. a business however is a legacy to leave behind.. I have a son, it'd be nice for him to grow up and remember that his old dad actually did something worthwhile smile - so your comments about just being out for money, fall on my deaf ears tongue

Granada, Spain

Pretty big, 90% of chipmusicians have:
- A Boat
- Full of bitches
- Blingbling Game Boys
- Mansion (Supermario's castle replica)
- Full of (different) bitches

rochester, ny

Another honest suggestion - just pick one thing, like maybe modified gameboys, and try and make and sell 10 of them. See how difficult / easy it is. Then repeat the process with other things. Slowly start trying new products. Start getting tables at events. Book and promote your own events. Do this for five years and then if you're insanely lucky, you might be able to make a living.

But even then probably not.

Portsmouth
Skycstls wrote:

Pretty big, 90% of chipmusicians have:
- A Boat
- Full of bitches
- Blingbling Game Boys
- Mansion (Supermario's castle replica)
- Full of (different) bitches

love this haha