Jelly Stone park, MD USA
O2star wrote:

A direct boot to DOS 7.1 only.

DOSbox is SACRILEGE.

LOL! What I thought.

Rhode Island

so i cant get AT2 to recognize my pc/s. O2 you said you got yours working with AT2? i have tried specifying the port specific to the pc/s 02F8h but AT2 doesnt recognize it there. any thoughts?

Planet Zaxxon

I have never attempted any midi with AT2 yet... I have been messing around with midi in/out with Impulse Tracker.

Rhode Island

oh gotcha, i might switch over and mess around with IT for a bit. i just want something to work for a bit. managed to get windows to recognize the pc/s with the supplied diagnostic tool. still no go connecting to AT2 though

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Just recently found zTracker that works well with Win98, it's a IT like tracker. Very midi-centric from the looks of it. Useful for ext synths  or a VSTi in saviHost  8)
http://ztracker.sourceforge.net/
http://ztracker.sourceforge.net/ext_docs/kwikfaq.html

EDIT- Just found this http://forum.renoise.com/index.php?/top … iguration/ Seemed on topic

Last edited by yogi (Mar 7, 2013 3:04 am)

Sydney, NSW

Just got a Compaq Armada (100S) off a mate today, and I was hoping I'd be able to get some wacky SB16 shenanigans up and running. This guide is just what I need!

Planet Zaxxon
Chainsaw Police wrote:

Just got a Compaq Armada (100S) off a mate today, and I was hoping I'd be able to get some wacky SB16 shenanigans up and running. This guide is just what I need!

YEA!

Sydney, NSW

It came with Win98SE, and I'm running MS-DOS 7.1 from a boot floppy (I like command lines, but I hate the MS-DOS command line :U ). The SoundBlaster doesn't register automatically, but I'll report back if I find anything that can help smile

Planet Zaxxon

Hmmm.. it should automatically detect the sb16 in windows 98se.. But I have no experience running off the boot disk.. I just know that in the install of Dos7.1 that i have.. it gives you the option to install the SB16 during the setup.

Hi, I have a question for 02star or other experienced AdlibTracker2 people...

How can you convert AdlibTracker2's speed/tempo value such as 6/50Hz into regular BPM?
I want to sample AdlibTracker2 to use in another tracker.
I hope there wont be any of the drift you mentioned in another thread if I sample one pattern at a time.
What do you think? cool youtube videos by the way!

Planet Zaxxon

How can you convert AdlibTracker2's speed/tempo value such as 6/50Hz into regular BPM?

You cant! ha. I have tried so many times, but the time clock within AT2 never will line up with BPM. I can get it close, but it never is exactly BPM. Its a completely different way of keeping time.

Yes it will drift. I have some songs that have about 14 channels.. so i recorded each channel separate, then played them all back together.. and they are not in perfect sync by the end. sad I also have sampled loops from AT2 and put them in Impulse Tracker, which is even more difficult because you have to figure out what is close in "tempo" pertaining to how each tracker calculates time.

Matching tempos from DOS trackers to each other or BPM is just a nightmare!

However, I did get by with one song before when I recorded each AT2 channel separate. I had to nudge each track and edit slightly to they all line up. I had to do this so I could record live drums over it, but still.... it is such an annoying and time consuming process, but may be worth the end result!

Mister Sombrero wrote:

Hi, I have a question for 02star or other experienced AdlibTracker2 people...

I want to sample AdlibTracker2 to use in another tracker.
I hope there wont be any of the drift you mentioned in another thread if I sample one pattern at a time.
What do you think? cool youtube videos by the way!

thanks for such a quick reply!

"You cant! ha. I have tried so many times, but the time clock within AT2 never will line up with BPM"
"Matching tempos from DOS trackers to each other or BPM is just a nightmare!"
"Yes it will drift"

lol, damn! thats a shame. Adlib 4 op sound is really nice and the tracker is so configurable and with such a great help file.
I'll stick to sunvox with 2op fm for now. Your tracks are great! Looking forward to more 02star videos.

Planet Zaxxon

Hey thanks again man!!

But really the only way to do it, to match old school trackers with modern software (bpm) is to make loops on the tracker, then record them into Abelton or FL studio... and just have it match (stretch) to whatever bpm you want.

subzero adtrack2 formula:

"BPM (theoretical) = TEMPO * 60 / SPEED
But as far as I know, the BPM-way of measuring song tempo is based upon drum beats in it, while in AT2 tempo gives you processing frequency of pattern data and speed its slowndown factor wink"

Last edited by Mister Sombrero (Jul 3, 2013 2:21 am)

Does anyone know of a good starting place for SB16 newbie and ideally a place for decent drivers?

I have a SB16 CT1740 with a NEC XR385 daughter board.  I have a Win98 Music PC currently running a lexicon Studio Core 32 system and was interested in adding some more sounds.

I heard some samples of stuff created on OPL3 and it sounds awesome.

I currently have no drivers. I have no idea what software I would need to trigger or program the OPL3 and could really do with some getting started help.

Hope someone knows a little more than me.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
futura2012 wrote:

Does anyone know of a good starting place for SB16 newbie and ideally a place for decent drivers?

I have a SB16 CT1740 with a NEC XR385 daughter board.  I have a Win98 Music PC currently running a lexicon Studio Core 32 system and was interested in adding some more sounds.

I heard some samples of stuff created on OPL3 and it sounds awesome.

I currently have no drivers. I have no idea what software I would need to trigger or program the OPL3 and could really do with some getting started help.

Hope someone knows a little more than me.

Make sure your IRQs are correct and then just run Adlib Tracker. I'm not sure if there are features of the SB16 that require drivers but my MS-DOS + SB16 + Adlib Tracker worked with no additional installs.