Brunswick, GA USA
#chipmusic wrote:

[23:28:41] <Musketcheer3> does cm.o ever hold official events, compos, community building exercises, etc?
[23:29:35] <femalepopsinger> no
[23:32:05] <mb> Lol.
[23:32:16] <Musketcheer3> oh sad

barf

i wholeheartedly support this positive upswing of cm.o becoming a real community! sign

Last edited by kfaraday (Jul 6, 2013 3:58 am)

UK, Leicester

It sounds like an idea

East Kilbride, Scotland

There are plenty of places in chiptune that already do all of those things. Why can't this just be a nice place to talk/trade and nothing more?

Tokyo, Japan

There are several Net Labels, smaller events, festivals and workshops which are all planned and enjoyed by members of the community. They don't have the "chipmusic.org" banner on them but they are pretty community centric.

Brunswick, GA USA

I don't know about plenty but seeing it put so bluntly made me want to see what others think.

NC in the US of America
Sycamore Drive wrote:

There are plenty of places in chiptune that already do all of those things. Why can't this just be a nice place to talk/trade and nothing more?

I've given this a lot of thought since that question was asked, and I honestly have no problem with cm.o staying the way it is. While I think the things mentioned above would be nice and good, I don't feel them to be crucial. I am disappointed that cm.o doesn't participate in them, but I'm sure there is a good reason, and I can think of a few. I can also think of a few ways in which that type of thing would be good, too, though.

I mean, there are so many members who have been here for years and years and, as I was not around to witness the history of it's development, I wouldn't want to just come in and start saying "you should do this and this and this because the community should be like that". Plus it's good to have different types of sites that fill different niches. This place wouldn't be thriving like it is if y'all weren't doing something right.

But I am but one man. (still kind of wish cm.o could do SOMETHING community wise, at least once a year)

I really wish people would stop treating chipmusic like it's perpetually in some kind of crisis and needs help.  I mean seriously we're just like any other music and we don't need special treatment in the slightest.  If anything we're in a FAR better position now then we ever were, EVERYBODY knows what this shit is now.

Sweeeeeeden
4mat wrote:

EVERYBODY knows what this shit is now.

Let's spend 10 pages discussing that what the general public knows isn't actually chipmusic.

nitro2k01 wrote:
4mat wrote:

EVERYBODY knows what this shit is now.

Let's spend 10 pages discussing that what the general public knows isn't actually chipmusic.

haha, yes.  the funny thing is I'm sure this exact arguement is on every noisecore, EDM, metal and jazz forum as well, which kind of means we "won" being a real genre.

Brunswick, GA USA

4mat and Yerzmyey both recently discussed some of their tools and methods in threads right here in cm.o. I think the reason I wanted to quote the conversation is because it means the standard impression is that there is no sense of apprenticeship here.

I don't think there is a crisis in chipmusic, because I think its next wave of sorts is eminent, what you want to do is your business.

East Kilbride, Scotland

I love that chipmusic.org doesn't get involved in these things officially because I don't want it to be defined by anything other than the tools we all use to make music. The total lack of an officially recognised competition winning track, or event featuring a few of the hundreds/thousands of artists here makes it apparent that all people and styles are welcomed here, and no-one is officially better than anyone else in the eyes of "chipmusic.org". Isn't that something you want to protect?

All you're really asking is for someone else to pony up the cash for prizes, and their time to make you feel good about yourself. "Oh look, I came 4th in the bass drum sound effect competition Summer 2013, I feel legitimised by this in the eyes of my peers".

Make your own competition, put on your own event, do your own community building exercise if you want these things to happen. It's not hard.

Gosford, Australia

cm.o: where everyone's a winner!

unless you're that 8-bit girl bloke, he did not have a fun time sad

Brunswick, GA USA
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Stuff

All of this is understandable and I think it's a good enough response.

Last edited by chunter (Jul 6, 2013 5:55 pm)

UK, Leicester
chunter wrote:
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Stuff

All of this is understandable and I think it's a good enough response.

seconding, has kinda convinced me to be against this, rather than for

barf
Sycamore Drive wrote:

I love that chipmusic.org doesn't get involved in these things officially because I don't want it to be defined by anything other than the tools we all use to make music. The total lack of an officially recognised competition winning track, or event featuring a few of the hundreds/thousands of artists here makes it apparent that all people and styles are welcomed here, and no-one is officially better than anyone else in the eyes of "chipmusic.org". Isn't that something you want to protect?

it's something that happens regardless~ certain users and songs on the "latest music" page get more activity than others and it's shown publicly so there is far from an equal footing in terms of musical perception here

on the compo side of things i want to stress that these things are rarely seen (or at the very least not always seen) as ways to establish  "better" or "worse" musicians than they are as a simple excuse to get people involved in writing music together and having their songs enjoyed by others as a community; perhaps monthly/seasonal chipmusic.org "write-a-longs" with synclistens and no overall vote/rank system would be more agreeable?