Buenos Aires, Argentina
PaK-Zer0 wrote:

We can't blame Delek for being an a$$h0l€ because he don't want to share his code (jia jia jia jia jia!), but there's a lot of people that would love to see this happen and I bet there's a few talented coders here.

WTF? DefleMask's code will not help in a native tracker program.

I really don't have much interest in a native tracker btw, never used LSDJ too much, making music in the actual console is a loss of time for me (only a personal opinion). Music was done in computers back in the day, and after they exported to the actual HW.

Delek wrote:

WTF? DefleMask's code will not help in a native tracker program.

I really don't have much interest in a native tracker btw, never used LSDJ too much, making music in the actual console is a loss of time for me (only a personal opinion). Music was done in computers back in the day, and after they exported to the actual HW.

We're not getting jealous now are we Delek? Haha I kid. I agree with you and the facts you mentioned of tracking history. Lsdj is very popular, being able to make console music on actual hardware is something that alot of people enjoy doing. It may not be the original, most efficient and official way to write Sega music, but nonetheless this is something popular and fun for everyone to do. No matter what, people will always have the choice between using trackers like Deflemask and trackers like LSDJ. It's whatever they feel most comfortable with/enjoy the most and I believe everyone deserves to have that choice.

I sincerely think you should look into porting Deflemask to mobile devices. This will certainly put the spotlight on your tracker and expand the audience of Deflemask users! Alot of people want to be able to write chiptunes on the go and as of right now the options of doing so is restricted. I'm sure many want a native tracker just so they can enjoy writing sega music on a Nomad on the go! Porting Deflemask would provide a way for people to do this without a Nomad, more people have cell phones and tablets than they do portable Sega Genesis'.

I understand the you would have problems selling an Android version, but you could sell the executable on your site no? I strongly encourage making this happen, there's always a workaround if you look for it.

On a side note, of course there will be PSG channels. Like I said, that screenshot is a mock up interface, Mike might even be doing something more with the project, I should probably talk to him and see what's up.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Jul 10, 2013 3:08 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina
CountSymphoniC wrote:

I sincerely think you should look into porting Deflemask to mobile devices. [...] I understand the you would have problems selling an Android version, but you could sell the executable on your site no? I strongly encourage making this happen, there's always a workaround if you look for it.

This is not so easy as porting it to Mac, Windows or Linux as I already did. DefleMask is a pure C/C++ application, Android's Official SDK is a JAVA toolbox to write apps. Porting DefleMask to Android will require not only to port C++/C code to JAVA, all OpenGL stuff to OpenGL ES/Android-Canvas and transform SDL sound calls to an Android equivalent, the difficult part is that I will also require to port all emulators to a JAVA form.

I will wait until a proper C compiler for Android becomes available. In other way this will not be a port process rather a re-write of the entire program.

I was looking at this the other day:
http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Seems promising, but lot of issues will pop up I guess...

Last edited by Delek (Jul 10, 2013 4:40 am)

San Francisco
CountSymphoniC wrote:

Yes it was Sunvox. The only one I could find.

EDIT: Who thinks that this is how we should do things on the Genesis?

Before we get too excited, this is just the beginning of a GUI. What it might look like. And yes, I realize that in it's current state, there would probably be tile clipping on the sides in it's current state.

this looks baller.

NC in the US of America

In b4 horrible lsdj interface

No, but seriously. Cool. Maybe you can find something for those extra buttons to do.

Unsubscribe

LSDJ interface is so far the best one for a dpad and it really makes sense, thats why its aped so much.

Iowa

I like the intention to using the lsdj interface in most chiptune software because lsdj and lgpt is easy. I could never understood other interfaces like nanoloops

Last edited by ClairBear (Jul 10, 2013 11:24 pm)

Chicago IL

just gonna throw this in here: the upside to native tracking is being able to control parameters as a song plays, which you can't do with a vgm/nsf/gbs/etc file.

Hey, I just joined so that I could say HELL YES would I like this. I have been waiting/looking for a good mobile option to be able to a) write songs on a Nomad; b) play/sequence etc. on the Nomad; and possibly c) traditional DIN MIDI sync with drum machines, etc and the like. I would buy this the second it was released if it did these things (or the first two, and the possibility of a solder job to get MIDI sync).

Love for the YM is streaming out my eyes right now.

Another suggestion, I don't know how hard it would be, but having the ability to compose elsewhere and load those songs onto the cartridge in some form or another would also be neat, but I don't know the scene or the technology very well, so not sure if this is just impossible or what.

Would also like to point out that if you're planning on doing a cart, you should talk to WaterMelon or Super Fighter Team to find out how/where they got their molds and cartridges.

Last edited by Rayek (Jul 31, 2013 7:13 pm)

Rayek wrote:

Another suggestion, I don't know how hard it would be, but having the ability to compose elsewhere and load those songs onto the cartridge in some form or another would also be neat, but I don't know the scene or the technology very well, so not sure if this is just impossible or what.

I don't know much about the MD/Genesis save format, but it looks like it's battery backed SRAM. There's a Java application called LSDmanager that can open LSDJ save files and import/export individual song files. Maybe a Java app for YMDJ save files would be possible as well.

Would also like to point out that if you're planning on doing a cart, you should talk to WaterMelon or Super Fighter Team to find out how/where they got their molds and cartridges.

It might make more sense to just release the ROM and use it with a flash cart, as it'd give one access to the save files, which would make what I described above much easier. Though maybe Kitsch, or whoever is developing the everdrive carts would want to know where to get such shells.

theres an idea that telling people about your goals gives you some of the same satisfaction as achieving them - making you less likely to actually get there.. but its a nice idea for a tracker. good luck with it

Henderson

I would absolutely love a Genesis/Megadrive native tracker! I have a flash cart of LSDj, and a custom made NTRQ cartidge for NES, and would love to have a 3rd native console tracker! I am a huge fan of the music that many Genesis/Megadrive games have to offer and composing my own on the console itself sounds like too much fun! I'd prefer it to be similar to the layout of LSDj as I am used to LSDj and NTRQ and they are both fairly similar in layout. This is definitely something I would love to buy!

Henderson
wedanced wrote:
CountSymphoniC wrote:

Yes it was Sunvox. The only one I could find.

EDIT: Who thinks that this is how we should do things on the Genesis?

Before we get too excited, this is just the beginning of a GUI. What it might look like. And yes, I realize that in it's current state, there would probably be tile clipping on the sides in it's current state.

this looks baller.

looks fucking perfect!

AWESOMECAT wrote:

It might make more sense to just release the ROM and use it with a flash cart, as it'd give one access to the save files, which would make what I described above much easier. Though maybe Kitsch, or whoever is developing the everdrive carts would want to know where to get such shells.

I'd be a fan of either, TBH. I'd somehow think that access to any MIDI implementation would make sense with a special cart, but updates to the software might be harder to achieve (?). Maybe building in MIDI connection through something like the GENMDM (accessing/using the 2nd controller port for MIDI) would work for that. What turns me off to GENMDM though is that I don't want to have a computer on stage and would much rather just sync everything with standard DIN MIDI cables.

Either way, if this gets released I'm ready to buy it wink

Taichung, Taiwan

killadelphia

a little late to the party...  native tracker would be so fun!  why does everyone want native trackers to look like LSDJ - what about a Cybertracker (C64) style interface where you can drag the envelopes and stuff.  that would make more sense for FM although maybe the PSG part could be all LSDJ like?

Last edited by animalstyle (Aug 1, 2013 6:36 am)