Guys,

I have found this game cartridge in my closet after some years of not using it, it used to work perfect before, but today when I tested it out it simply did not work, by not working I mean that I insert it in my gameboy, turned it on and the screen display the bar going from top to bottom of the screen like if there was not cartridge inserted, it is like the gameboy does not read it.

Here with a picture showing what happened when the gameboy is turned on with the game inside:

And I have taken pictures of the board itself in case you could guide me on how to troubleshoot it, I have clean it and also added a new battery but still not working.

hmm, well it is a pirated game, that's for sure tongue

it kinda looks like the contactpoints are just fade.. maybe that's why there's no contact?

Maine

i know the battery is just for saves but have you tried replacing it?

TheBronyChip wrote:

i thought that too but it looks like he tried that already tho (below one of the pics it says)

Alive and well in fucksville

1. insert cart
..........................X10
2. remove cart

then blow into the gameboy.
its the oxygen that makes it work.

Maine
defPREMIUM wrote:
TheBronyChip wrote:

i thought that too but it looks like he tried that already tho (below one of the pics it says)

oh shit im blind lol

did he try cleaning the contacts with something?

Brisbane, Australia

I had the exact same problem with one of my pokemon red carts. I filled a bowl with a little bit of isocol (isopropyl alcohol) and then placed the cart in it to soak for half hour. Then i got some Q-tips and scrubbed at the contacts. It was working fine afterwards!

Although a lot of pirate carts (like that one) degenerate over time and end up not working. I have 3 that won't work / partially work.
Good luck!

TheBronyChip wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

oh shit im blind lol

did he try cleaning the contacts with something?

yea, he also said that ;D although i guess he didn't specifically say he cleaned the contacts.. i assumed that is what he meant

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Jul 18, 2013 12:45 am)

Minneapolis

Also, check the batteries in your Pocket perhaps? Sometimes cartridges which draw an abnormally large amount of current, like EMS carts, can cause issues if your batteries are weak, especially with Pockets. I don't know if this is the case here though.

I have tried cleaning its contacts with alcohol, I also used an eraser to rub on them but it is still not working.

Do you think that may be the resistor or the capacitor that can be seen in the picture of the board need to be replaced?

Last edited by Retrogamer09 (Jul 18, 2013 12:59 pm)

Brisbane, Australia

Have you tried wedging something behind the cart to ensure the pins are making contact?

Retrogamer09 wrote:

I have tried cleaning its contacts with alcohol, I also used an eraser to rub on them but it is still not working.

Do you think that may be the resistor or the capacitor that can be seen in the picture of the board need to be replaced?

I'd replace them just to be safe. Maybe touch up the solder on the chip pins aswell. If none of that works, i'm afraid you're more than likely out of luck.

Alive and well in fucksville

vintage consoles all require blowing

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:39 am)

matt's mind

^ yes

its the humidity which helps when you blow in them (helps make contact better momentarily). 

but, yeah, doesn't really solve anything.

there is this nifty stuff called 'contact cleaner' just for this sort of thing...  it cleans oxidization off electromechanical parts/etc (people use it to clean dirty pots a lot).  check it out!

(although, tbh, the alcohol should have done the cleaning well enough)

its also REALLY important to note....  if you are cleaning the cart, but not bothering to clean the contacts in the gameboy too, you aren't eliminating the problem most likely.  its like when people change out the NES fingers for new ones, then stick some dirty cart into them which sort of defeats the whole point.  so, clean both.  when i was stocking the NES edge connectors this came up all the time

matt's mind

oh, wait...

have you tried this in a color console instead of the pocket?

the sticker indicates they are color ROMs, not all GBC ROMs play back on non-color devices.  the Nintendo ones like this give you the nice incompatibility screen, but since this is a pirate cart who knows...

worth a shot!

kitsch wrote:

oh, wait...

have you tried this in a color console instead of the pocket?

the sticker indicates they are color ROMs, not all GBC ROMs play back on non-color devices.  the Nintendo ones like this give you the nice incompatibility screen, but since this is a pirate cart who knows...

worth a shot!

You have a good point, I just tested it in a GB boy color, it didn't work sad

Is there a chance that the problem may be the resistor or the capacitor, or the chip itself? By looking closely at it I can't see anything burned or wrong.

Thanks guys