Tacoma, WA

Hey guys... I am at that special time in my life where I leave my parents forever and head off to college (well... more like the military academy at west point). It will be truely sad to leave behind the wonderful scene that's gotten going here in the Seattle area, but I know there must be equally exciting scenes and places out there. So, given that I leave in less than 10 days for cadet basic training, I thought I would ask around to see if anyone could give me some insight into the New York scene. I know a few of you are probably from New York and I have heaed a lot about some good shows goin' down in Rochester, but are there particularly lively venues I should keep an eye out for shows at? Or, in your opinion, are there any local artists who I should definitely see?

I know I kind of sound like a novice, but I'm just trying to plan ahead to have some things to do on the few weekends I will have off...

Last edited by Vellain (Jun 18, 2013 8:09 pm)

BK

NYC is awesome. It's also the closer of the two to West Point
Rochester is also pretty damn solid, but a bit more of a hike if I'm reading the map correctly.
Keep an eye on these forums for shows, most of them get posted here. I know Rochester Chip has an FB group you could join to keep informed on shows, and you may want to keep an eye out for Pulsewave and I/O shows in NYC, along with Control-Flow as well.

Detroit, Michigan

I'm also attempting to move out to the NYC area by next year. Bunch of cool chip cats out there :3

Brooklyn, NY

I'm actually from West Point. My father was an officer who worked at the counseling center (please note, I didn't attend school there). Currently residing in Brooklyn. Got into chiptunes, because I was the sound tech at the Tank where the monthly Pulsewave was held a few years ago.

Plebe year... sucks. I don't think you're even allowed to have a car until your senior year and even then there's basically no parking on campus.

There's a bus that runs on the weekends from West Point to the Metro North stop at Garrison. It's probably a 2 hour trip in total just to get to NYC.

Hit me up if you ever make it into town. It'd be great to share West Point experiences!

Bronx, NY

>MOVING TO NEW YORK
>TO NEW YORK
>NEW YORK

You and I are gonna have a lot of fun together.

But seriously, it's gonna be a good time.  Between the city itself, Rochester and Philly (which is really easy to get to from the city whether you're riding a bus, taking a train or driving there), you have a lot to look forward to in terms of a scene.  plus, we do sometimes get the west coast and euro guys out here to play, so it's a good time all around.

Furthermore, if you're going to be in or near the city come winter, you should be able to get to MAGFest really easily (your schedule permitting, of course). 

all in all, it'll be a good time, and there's a lot of love out here in the East Coast scene.

Tacoma, WA

Thanks for all the good advice and info. Sorry I didn't respond as quickly... the past week has been rather busy for me. I will be sure to get back in touch with everyone as soon as training is over and I get internet access back in 6 weeks time. Wish me luck!

Tacoma, WA

Halfway through Cadet Basic Training... my lord has it been challenging. Discipline is a difficult idea to work to embody. That and the fact that they don't hardly give us anytime to just sit down and relax. To find time to write letters home, I have to sacrifice precious hours of sleep. I am so glad, though, that I have been able to keep the music with me always. Whether it is on ruck marches or standing in formation for hours, just keeping a song in my head has helped me to perservere and take my mind to a happier place... Can't wait till I am done with all this $#!T and can get my DMG sent back from home. See you all in 3 weeks...