Kyle, Tx

I am looking at schematics for the SGB and I am looking at the circuits on the unit but I have no idea where to add a variable clock mod onto the unit. I wanna add a dial on it but I dont think the SGB has a crystal on it at all.

Alive and well in fucksville

you could bend the snes?

Kyle, Tx

No, I want it on the cart. I have seen a couple of them but noone is kind enough to share how they did it.

the output has to override the signal going to the clock. you need a ground, +5v, and an output. I used an old ltc 1799 from getlofi without a resistor... it crashes sometimes. i have never worked with a v2 though. it may be better. if there is no clock signal i dunno what to tell you. maybe try power starving it. i have done no such thing though.

Last edited by bitjacker (Jul 22, 2013 4:20 pm)

Kyle, Tx

I wish NeX would fix his blog
http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/2010/04/pitch … r-gameboy/

I would be set and ready to go hahah

Just message NeX.  He's a helpful lad.

The SGB has a pin where it derives the Gameboy clock frequency based off of the SNES one. Check the pinout for a clock pin, follow the traces, cut the trace somewhere. Yank out a DMG CPU crystal, wire it in for precise speed, install a clock kit much like you would a DMG.

The SGB doesn't need the SNES clockspeed, it was just convenient for Nintendo to create a near-identical signal using the SNES clock send signal. It isn't crucial that this signal be present, but you need a suitable one to replace it.

Kyle, Tx

Ah perfect do you find the clock pin and bridge it with standard operations. I was wondering why there appeared to be only one.

some varible clocks are powerful enough where you dont need to cut the trace.

Austin, TX

I've done this mod, but I followed NeX's method... All I can remember off the top of my head is that you have to locate the clock trace on the SGB and cut it. Then put a toggle switch that can connect the two point of the trace you just cut, and have the other position of the switch going to var. clock. I wish I could explain it easier, but since there aren't too many tutorials for this mod, I'll do my best to put together one together.

boddah ur avatar is different!

Kyle, Tx

Thanks I think I grasp the concept. I will have to go get some switches and make a tutorial myself if I get the time here soon. If not I will make a tutorial regardless.

Austin, TX
defPREMIUM wrote:

boddah ur avatar is different!

Indeed.

Good luck with the circuit bending!