kansas city

Also, anyone having trouble with the new FM channel strip?
I can import instruments, but it doesn't output to the sega...
The old version works great, anyways.

hey everyone, some of the aussies here already know me as aaron/able archer from a while back, it's my first post on these forums cause i took a kind of long break from chiptune (between getting ableton and getting the genmdm basically. well to be precise, i didn't really use the genmdm til i got live 9 cause i didn't have m4l yet lol)

anyway the genmdm is the best thing ever!! as far as i know it's the best solution out there for live control over chiptunes. sounds are endlessly fascinating and tweakable and so many channels. i'm here mainly to share this quick demo but also talk about some weird things i've been experiencing, wondering if anyone had any ideas or seen the same thing. i have the "workshop" batch from square sounds fest.

first here's some sounds, just mdm no fx or anything:
https://soundcloud.com/herzogzwei/0003-1

OK the two main issues i'm having are that sometimes notes kind of "misfire" randomly, i think mainly on channel 3. this could just be my system (MD1) of course, haven't tested it with others yet, but i was wondering if it was something to do with it being a special channel. the clip below will demonstrate, with buggy kick drum.

the other thing is that sometimes spooky midi notes play on channel 9 (psg voice 3) even when i'm not sending anything to it in the DAW. i don't think it's entirely random, i have a feeling that it only happens when i'm sending notes to the PSG already but i'm not sure yet... again this could just be my system. you can hear it in some bits near the end.

i'll maybe try and test it with some other machines today and report back

buggy version:
https://soundcloud.com/herzogzwei/0002-1

turtlesaur wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

My recording inputs are a bit odd so this recorded a bit clippy but I am slowly getting the hang of this. Ive been tryng to get a trip hoppy vibe going without using any samples. This is a little loop with just the FM, no PSG or DAC.

http://soundcloud.com/lazerbeat/snare

Only about 15 seconds but damn I am pleased with that snare.

how did you make that snare? im trying to synthesize drums with my GenMDM and finding it hard.(also kick drums?)

how you choose to build the rest of the snare is up to you but for any noise sounds you wanna use the feedback channel with feedback on maximum, modulating another operator which you can use for envelopes (using envelope on the feedback channel will get you crazy harmonics). just the noise will do for hats but for a snare choose an algorithm to run that in parallel with a tonk sound for the body of the snare... algorithm 4 should be good.

for kicks i've been having success with algorithm 0 just banging 3 operators in a row

Last edited by dubroutine (Jul 15, 2013 3:23 am)

FRANCE
dubroutine wrote:

OK the two main issues i'm having are that sometimes notes kind of "misfire" randomly, i think mainly on channel 3. this could just be my system (MD1) of course, haven't tested it with others yet, but i was wondering if it was something to do with it being a special channel. the clip below will demonstrate, with buggy kick drum.

Did you use the special mode on CH3?
because there is a small mistake in the firmware(v102 tested), in special mode TL is only controlled by velocity (witch should be changed optionally IMO because velocity is only sent with a note on event preventing some smooth effect, this is the same problem with the PSG volume by the way)
CH11 velocity controls = M2( bug here >> TL M1 affects M2 volume control)
CH12 velocity controls = M1
CH13 velocity controls = C1

maybe this could also affect normal mode in certain case...
However I assume it will be corrected in v103 certainly smile

The Forest, WA
DUNGEONMASTER wrote:

Also, anyone having trouble with the new FM channel strip?
I can import instruments, but it doesn't output to the sega...
The old version works great, anyways.

ive had hours of problems with the new channel strip but it should work. the FM instrument has to be at Full volume to produce the full sound!
throw a Velocity Midi clip in there! and turn it up all the way , and let me know if that fixes it! i can send you my channel strip via email or something if that helps?!
also make sure the old strip isnt in there! and make sure to dump the ram, and dont load the ram save or it will load the old FM strips algorithms and you wont be able to change back to your TFI preset without a ram dump or a hard reset  . i think..

Last edited by GLOOMS (Jul 17, 2013 3:37 am)

Aly James wrote:
dubroutine wrote:

Did you use the special mode on CH3?
because there is a small mistake in the firmware(v102 tested), in special mode TL is only controlled by velocity (witch should be changed optionally IMO because velocity is only sent with a note on event preventing some smooth effect, this is the same problem with the PSG volume by the way)
CH11 velocity controls = M2( bug here >> TL M1 affects M2 volume control)
CH12 velocity controls = M1
CH13 velocity controls = C1

maybe this could also affect normal mode in certain case...
However I assume it will be corrected in v103 certainly smile

Yeah I was using it in normal mode

San Francisco

Any peeps from cali get their order from the second batch?
not complaining just asking to make sure my shit didn't get stolen/lost in the mail or something. I don't live in the nicest of towns.

United Kingdom

Still haven't received it yet. Tried googling for contact details but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know of an email contact for Little-Scale?

Baltimore

~

Last edited by Msefk (Jul 31, 2014 7:30 pm)

kansas city
Msefk wrote:

I still have not received my GenMDM.
I have not been contacted here or by email about refund process.
I would absolutely appreciate some communication.

I ordered mine on December 1st and paid the shipping upgrade months ago.

"GenMDM printed circuit boards will be produced once the pre-orders have closed. It is estimated that delivery will take place approximately 10 weeks from the close of pre-orders."

When was the close of pre-orders?

Hey there, i ordered mine during the first round of preorders, April 2012. I was one
of the last to order, so i received mine about a month and a half ago. Although it took
about a year to get the package, I remain completely satisfied with my purchase.
I understand your anxiousness, but I promise you'll receive your package, as I also had
very little contact with Mr Scale.

If you can wait, you'll be glad you did.

Glasgow

One day it will turn up sad
I think now would be good if possible to sell the software via download so we can make our own.

I agree... I own a genmdm and the real hardware part does not seem complicated....
Do you think it would be possible to dump the genmdm rom and put it on an everdrive? (justy asking)

Arricat wrote:

One day it will turn up sad
I think now would be good if possible to sell the software via download so we can make our own.

If someone has a ROM dumper it could be dumped.

Last edited by metropeak (Sep 13, 2013 5:29 pm)

Phoenix, Az, USA

Waiting for this hurts but i know it will be worth it.

Salvador, Bahia, Brazil

Hi guys. Please, if someone could help me (and sorry for any english errors, I'm brazilian)

I did pay for a GenMDM with Sebastian on november, 2012. Here's the email:

---

Sebastian Tomczak <[email protected]>

11/25/12

Hi Eric,
You're welcome to pre-order now if you would like. (But you don't have to of course!!)

My PayPal email is [email protected] and the amount is $85.

Make sure your PayPal postal address is correct and that the comment section includes the words "GenMDM order".

Thanks!

- seb

-----------------------------

And I did pre-order:

Eric Fraga <[email protected]>

11/26/12

To Sebastian

Just did the payment (85 AUD) please check if it's everything ok.

Thanks again my friend!

And he replied:

11/26/12

Perfect - yep, came through as expected smile

- Seb

That was on 2012, november. I know it would take some time for him to build and deliver.

This year, may 20, I did ask him:

Eric Fraga <[email protected]>

05/27/2013i

To Sebastian

Hey!

Sebastian, please could you give me some feedback on my GenMDM? I did pay to you 85 dolars last year for it.

Thanks for your attention.

Eric

PS: your last e-mail was when you confirm my payment via paypal.

Then, he answer was:

05/27/2013i

Hi Eric,
Units are being sent out every week, and you will receive an email once I've sent yours.

I realise that this is slower than expected, however please be aware that things are progressing, units are being produced and yours will be sent out along with all of the others.

I'll let you know once I've sent yours, and the ETA once posted will be 3 - 10 days (with 4-5 days being the average)

Regards,

- Seb

Now, we are on september. And he no longer answers ANY of my emails, nothing.

I'm seeing people here with the same problem.

I'm ok with waiting as long as it needs, but no reply at all for months... I think Sabastian could please talk to me on email? Just answer one email, saying it's working on it or not?

Please, friends from this forum, tell me that's ok, that it's normal (I don't know Sebastian, just did hear about the GenMDM on the Internet and wanted to buy, as I saw he was accepting pre-orders at the time). I know its a PRE-order, what I'm asking is some sort of communication with the man smile a word is enough, some estimated time. Once we are almost one year after the payment, maybe NOW he should give me an ETA, right? I think I'm not asking too much, not at this time.

Thank you all so much for any information.

Eric

FRANCE

If it can help...I have never read a story about somebody being screwed up by Seb, I know it will not make your device delivered faster and the delivery/making/answering is reaaaaaly long smile but I am sure it will come at some point and Seb will provide a solution for the undelivered ones.
smile

San Francisco

I was in the same batch as your Cosmonal. I just received my email today that my unit has been shipped. He is steadily pumping these guys out. Don't worry. I am sure yours is coming up smile
little-scale is a good guy so dont you worry.