Michigan

I plan on doing a small run of two sided PCBs based on Reiner Ziegler's Reader. I have redesigned the board in EagleCAD as a mostly SMT populated board, though some components have either option! I do not plan on supplying full kits, so part ordering will be up to you.

Piracy is bad, yadda-yadda, you may backups save files and ROMs for emulation if you wish. you all know the drill.

If you wish to throw some money into the pool and have a board sent your way, email me below or PM me:
Apple2ja*Cmich*edu (dots instead of asterisks).

Here are some pics, dimensions and a 3D render:

Some notes about the boards, I have decided to add vias if people want to use through-hole components rather than SMT components. This does not include the ICs because these components are too large to fit within my strict board limitations. The photos show no through-hole resistors, but I am adding them shortly. 

Lets try not to add both version of said components, k? If you choose to use a ceramic resonator rather than an ordinary crystal oscillator, be sure to ignore the cap locations. If you choose to place an crystal oscillator, be sure to check the data sheet as to the capacitance of caps you will need.

Also note that the ICSP connector must be on the bottom of the board. After programming the Atmega8515, you may remove the ICSP connector since there will probably never be any updates.

I was also able to accommodate the board with the DMG-01 or pocket cartridge connector so it doesn't matter where you get it from!

Reiner Ziegler's site is here:
http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm

Within the US (lower 48):

Board only = $23.00 (shipped)
Complete and ready to go = $ 59.00 (shipped)

International:
Add 23.95USD to any of the above options.

First 9 boards receives a free cartridge connector courtesy of katsumbhong.*
*Not including myself. Others may opt out if you have one.

ALSO NOTE: That we must order boards in multiples of ten! If ten people do not order a board, everyone gets reimbursed. if 12 people order board, the last two get reimbursed. Very sorry, but that is how it will work.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 25, 2013 5:07 am)

Oh crap I need this. And it can flash saves and ROMs as well, correct? I am in sore need of a flasher for my ASM carts.

Michigan

It depends on the cartridge, but these do support a wide range of them.
You can backup any save file of any cartridge AFIAK, and it will do the ROM of any non-USB bleepbloop, ASM and homemade cartridge too. It is the basic run-of-the-mill Reiner Zeigler programmer, just in a full SMT package.

Have you opened up those mGB carts I gave you yet? I can't remember if I placed it, but if there is a wire leading from the top of the ROM to pin 31 of the cartridge slot, you can reprogram those as well!

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Aug 7, 2013 9:42 pm)

clovis CA

i definatley want one. i would suggest though making 2 different pcb's and going through OSHpark to accomidate both through hole and smt designs, for those who dont trust themselves with parts the size of a tick wink

Taichung, Taiwan

Put me down!

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Have you opened up those mGB carts I gave you yet? I can't remember if I placed it, but if there is a wire leading from the top of the ROM to pin 31 of the cartridge slot, you can reprogram those as well!

Oh my! That's neat, I will have to look in them later xD currently I just know that they work.

Michigan

Bitman: 1 board (unpaid)
AlleyBeach: 1 board (unpaid)
Katsumbhong: 1 board (unpaid)

Counting myself, we are up to 4 boards total! Nearly half way there in only a few hours. lol. I need to set a cut-off date though. hm...

I will look into building a public cart on Mouser soon and also think about a Through-hole version, maybe even a diy bundle. The only problem with a through-hole board is the size of an atmel8515! And the fact that DIP ft232's are basically non-existant...

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Aug 7, 2013 11:41 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Now if only someone were willing to do e SMD work on the chips beforehand, I'd be all over this...

Michigan

That may be arranged, depending. If you were to front the money for the SMT components and maybe a little for time, we could work something out. It seems that some folks are worried about the SMT components, so I may just have to work out a partially-finished board price. tongue

matt's mind

i've asked for a 'group buy' area to be added to this site for this type of stuff!

if others of you would like a 'group buy' section please voice your opinions on this, or PM me and i'll collect them and petition some more wink

Michigan
kitsch wrote:

i've asked for a 'group buy' area to be added to this site for this type of stuff!

if others of you would like a 'group buy' section please voice your opinions on this, or PM me and i'll collect them and petition some more wink

Voicing: +1.

kineticturtle wrote:

Now if only someone were willing to do e SMD work on the chips beforehand, I'd be all over this...

I would take two of these types for sure.  One for back up, my Jack Russel like to play too.

Michigan
DSC wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

I would take two of these types for sure.  One for back up, my Jack Russel like to play too.

Can I put you down for two then? I will get back soon with a price for the two ICs and time included.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Put me down for one under those conditions plz!

Michigan

Under the conditions that I solder the FTDI and Atmel8515 before shipment? I made everything else capable of through-hole. I think that makes 7 boards now.

EDIT: An Atmel8515 and FTDI will run about 8USD extra and then there is time, so we can call it an even 15 extra. wink

So, 33.90 for a board with FTDI and 8515 soldered and shipped.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Aug 8, 2013 4:27 am)

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Under the conditions that I solder the FTDI and Atmel8515 before shipment? I made everything else capable of through-hole. I think that makes 7 boards now.

EDIT: An Atmel8515 and FTDI will run about 8USD extra and then there is time, so we can call it an even 15 extra. wink

So, 33.90 for a board with FTDI and 8515 soldered and shipped.

Yes, Please put me down for 2.
Thank you for the effort:)