if you're making sample heavy hip hop get the hell outta fl studio and get the hell into little piggy tracker.. i just use it on my pc. especially for guys like me who are not super super good at music, it is important that the tools i use are simple, so that i do not get distracted/overwhelmed with all the bells and whistles that programs like fl studio offer. i make stuff in sort of the same vein as the hip hop you're talking about so check out my music on my bandcamp and if you want i can send you some lgpt song files.

Detroit

practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

Last edited by The One Electronic (Aug 10, 2013 7:47 pm)

washington

^^^

practice helps a lot. smile

i'm kind of weird as a songwriter-as in i'm not very creative. i can't just write stuff to write stuff, something has to physically inspire me otherwise like your experiences, it comes out forced and terrible. for me it doesn't even have to be huge, although those aren't bad. like taking a walk in a park, the way the wind feels on your face, when a beautiful girl smiles. just little things that happen all the time, that people almost always overlook.

edit: another way to write music is limitation. everyone writes on it, but give lsdj a shot. there are only 4 channels with a finite number of sounds, so you aren't shocked by all of the possibilities that you could do. if you're writing in ableton or something, you could spend hours tweaking sounds and layering them over other sounds, but when you're starting, really it's just distracting you from the actual writing. basically, just creativity through limitation.

hopefully this doesn't come out as nonsense haha

Last edited by basspuddle (Aug 10, 2013 8:07 pm)

barf

what have you written so far?! It's tough to give amy recommendation beyond "keep going" until I know what you sound like~

IL
kfaraday wrote:

what have you written so far?! It's tough to give amy recommendation beyond "keep going" until I know what you sound like~

This goes to everyone but I quoted you because you asked to hear something I've made.

I'm working on something right now that I started after using some of the advice given to me in this thread.

I see that I'm able to upload music on here. I'll upload it and link it in this thread so you can all give me your input.

barf

excellent! i look forward to hearing it :]

Chicago IL

I feel like someone needs to say it, and I'll be the one if no one else will:

Maybe you're not supposed to write music. If you've been doing it for 6 years and still don't have a grip on it, it doesn't sound like something you enjoy doing. Especially since the first few years are the easiest / most enjoyable, because you don't even realize you're making garbage, you're just excited to be able to say "I wrote a song". As you go on it's going to be much harder to be happy with something you've written. So I dunno, if you've been trying to write since 2007 and are just now asking for help, maybe you're not supposed to do it.

It's okay to just be a fan of music. Not everyone has to do it.

washington
Saskrotch wrote:

It's okay to just be a fan of music. Not everyone has to do it.

^^^

totally agree

Tokyo, Japan

That's me!

Brunswick, GA USA

That's a tricky thing: if a person is going to work at something for 6 years or more I assume that person must get some kind of enjoyment out of it, though things can change and circumstances can cause a person to habitually grind at things that aren't fun. There is only one person who knows when that is the case.

TSSBAY01

nobody here has the answers to your questions, because nobody here writes music, they just write chips. <---perhaps this is your answer.

Try also to write some Salad.

S H I T S I T E LOL !

first you gotta love music , then you gotta practicepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepractice , then youll improve , youll get better , your musical sidee of the brain will slowly wake up uhmm , have fun above all , theres so many individual aproaches i mean it is a rather subjective  question but hey i just  gave  you some type of answer anyhows , follow your intuition kimosabi xo .

Bracknell, UK

Take some lessons from Reuben, apply the logic to what you want to do:

Yeaaahh!!