IL

Yo.

I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this thread. Move it if required.

On topic:

I know this is the most asinine thing someone could ask but how the hell do I make music? I've been trying almost everyday since 2007.... How is it done? I've made some songs but they were all trash to me. I just don't get how someone could sit down and make something like Hydrocity Zone. When I sit down and try to make a song I'm just sitting there stressed out for hours trying to figure everything out. At this point my heads starting to hurt from the redundancy of failure. Where do these songs even begin? What's the start? Where do I start? When I do come up with something I hate it. I just want to enjoy making music free of all stress. I want something to enjoy listening to after working on a project.   

I know this most likely just comes off as complaining/ranting but I'm really out of ideas here.

All advice is appreciated.

-edit - clarified title, lb

Tokyo, Japan

Have you tried taking music lessons and learning an instrument?

edit - also, read this - http://www.musictheory.net/

Also the composer of Hydrocity zone didn't write anything remotely worth listening to until he was way into his 40s. It takes a lot of practice. how long have you been composing for?

Fort Myers, FL

I certainly concur with Lazerbeat, learning an instrument is a great start. For me, I had played a brass instrument for 10 years, it was not until I studied music theory that composition made any sense.

Brunswick, GA USA

Practice indeed, and don't worry if it doesn't come out right for years on end, that's part of why composers like to compose.

All of the classes I ever had regarding teaching composing assumed that you can already create a melody or rhythm on demand. Is that where you are stuck?

ohio gozaimasu

Lay down a beat, and write a melody. Look at some of the music you like, and notice how they play with their melodies. Do they stay on the same pitch for a couple of beats, then go down a bit? Do they go up a bit, then back to the original note, then down a bit, and back again? Incorporate these sorts of patterns, but don't go overboard and solo the whole time. Keep adjusting notes until they fit in with the rest of the notes and don't sound too out of place. Play it back, and if it sounds weird, then change it. Once you have the melody down, add some bass. Make sure to change the note every measure or so to a pitch that sits nicely with your melody and keeps it interesting. From there you can add harmonies, maybe some arpeggios, what have you. As the song progresses, start out simple (maybe just have the beat) and build upon that. Switch up your melody, your beat, your progression, your harmonies, whatever you feel needs changed. Make sure to rely on repetition at least a little, and always remember to switch things up before they get boring. It's really important to think about the music that you like to listen to and notice what they do with their song. If you're listening to a song and hear all the instruments drop out except for drums, you should think, "oh, that's something I can incorporate into my song." Build up a library of techniques and methods that you can apply to your compositions.

It's important to know that the above is just an indication of how you might want to start a song; there isn't any exact formula to songwriting. Most important of all, practice. Once you can write a song and have a little bit of an idea of what's going on, just play with new ideas and do your thing and I guarantee that you'll get much better over time.

Chicago, IL

i am actually working on an article on this, but here's a few quick things

-take a small section of a song you like, try to build something in a different direction off it, for example Devo's Whip It! is based on a few notes of 'pretty woman' transposed slightly and then they built the song around that. tons of rock songs are based on bits of beethoven or mozart, they had melody flying out their butts

-think about a song in your head, don't sit with a guitar or keyboard and try to figure it out, hum your idea and then try to put it into actual instruments

-record jams - play with friends, build loops and add things and record them, for hours even, Radiohead's Idiotechque was based on a few seconds of a 9-hour long recording of johnny greenwood playing with various synths and samples, the rest of the mix he describes as 'total trash', lots of bands compose like this, its time consuming but at some point that 'magic happens', you can jam by yourself with multi track recorders (sort of…)

-one thing i personally do is come up with a little riff, play it and then think in my head what should follow..what it needs…start with verse /chorus and then build from there.

as you can see there's no one method, and one is the exact opposite of the other..

Last edited by BeatScribe (Aug 10, 2013 1:20 pm)

Detroit, MI

I like to find a nice chord progression first, then I lay it out with a nice trance pluck synth and a simple dance beat in my DAW, I find it helps to get the thoughts moving, having at least something of a song fleshed out. FL Studio has a really solid piano roll, so it's easy to see the notes that fit in the progression and lay new ones on top of what's already there. I start with quarter notes and move them around and something usually catches my ear. From there it's a simple matter of porting the notes from FL to LSDJ.

I think everyone has their own methods of inspiration, it's just a matter of finding your own or what others do that works well for you.

edit: I forgot to mention, usually when I find a really amped melody that I could listen to forever, I'll strip it down, and build the song backwards off of that. So I'll remove notes from it, or only use the first bit of it, take out the bass, slow down the drums until I've reached the beginning.

Last edited by Nursey (Aug 10, 2013 2:58 pm)

Puerto Rico

One thing that's worked for me throughout the years as a musician is to listen to as many different types of music as you can. Get soaked in everything from chiptune, indie rock, to krautrock, to hip hop, etc...

Broaden your spectrum and really listen to the way the songs are composed. The way the notes flow, and how they progress.

Just keep at it man, I've been there, but just start with a general idea, and build on it. :3

Also, get other people to listen to your stuff and give you their input, I've found out that sometimes I think the work I've produced is crap, while other people see otherwise. We are our worst critics.

Have fun!

Los Angeles, CA

Listen to a lot of music, and just deconstruct it in your head/on paper.  Examine what is going on in a song, and what makes it be like that.  It helps a lot to understand how other people structure songs, and then, try on that same piece of paper, try to plot out a song, and then try to execute it.  Try using a different program/medium to get practice.  Let yourself suck, it's a part of the process and generally the hardest part.

Unsubscribe

Write a lot of it everyday. Even when you suck at it.

matt's mind

start whistling

kitsch wrote:

start whistling

Then learn how to transcribe music you hear. Then you are basically set.

.FILTHadelphia

First and foremost stop comparing yourself to others. This will drive you crazy and tends to make people give up. Anything worth doing isn't going to come easily and most people don't sit down and immediately write an amazing song. The process can be arduous requiring days, weeks, months or even years depending on how long you're committed to completing a song.

Experiment, always. With each track I try to incorporate something new that I haven't done before, no matter how trivial if you're always pushing what you can do you'll always get better. Each experiment won't always work but that's a solid lesson in what to avoid.

Learn to walk away. If you've hit a wall don't force it. Walk away from your song for however long you need and come back whether it be an hour or a couple days. Typically I write as much as I can then sleep on it. Wake up and listen by then I've gained a new perspective and know what needs to be done.

Don't force songs. If the song just doesn't sound good, erase and start over. I've written complete songs and have ultimately wiped the entire thing because I wasn't happy with it. If you don't like it chances are other people won't either.

Imitate. I'm not advocating plagiarism or suggesting you be another artist's clone but if there's something in a song that clicks with you, use it. Every song has been written already you'll never create anything truly original so use what other people have established and make it your own. Little things like a particular sound/instrument, a drum break, or just how something is played take that and build off of it. Music is a constant exchange of ideas if you can take someone's previous idea and morph it into your own creation then go for it.

Brunswick, GA USA

If the matter is eliminating bad ideas, remember that you are free to revise and should rewrite often. My preferred way to compose is to spew lots of ideas out, tossing on old rejected ones too, then chiseling off (deleting) the bad until I'm happy with what remains. I try to keep at least three ideas to call it a full piece, and that's that really.

clovis CA

weed

IL

Thanks for all the input.

I've noticed some of you mentioned things that I have already gone through as well. It makes me feel better now knowing that it's not because I lack any musical ability. Some of you mentioned to play an instrument. I do play guitar but I need some new strings for it. I've done most of my work in FL Studio. What I've mostly done is experiment and make sample based hip-hop. Not to long ago I found VGM Music Maker on these forums. Making sample based hip-hop was fun but I really want to compose my own music now. I was off of VGM Music Maker and music in general for about a month or two until I got my copy of Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles. I've played the game before but never realized how bad ass the music was. What got me into making sample based hip-hop was artists like Nujabes. He uses jazz samples and Sonic3/Sonic & Knuckles has some songs that sound jazzy. So I guess what it all comes down to is that I want to make something jazzy as well. I guess it's just going to take a lot more practice and research. I thought after 6 years I could churn out something great. It seems like a long time but maybe it's actually just the beginning.