Dallas, Texas

Has anyone had success with building one of these? More specifically flashing the AVR? http://spritesmods.com/?art=gbamidi

I have a programmer and have been trying to get it to work with no luck. His readme text says to use the makefile, but I'm getting errors when I try that. prolly cause I'm not using WinAVR like he is (I'm using mac).  I've been just using avrdude to set the fuses and upload the .hex file provided. I still can't get any mutiboot response out of it though.  I'm actually a beginner, so I don't know anything past what I've been able to piece together from tutorials/forums/help texts. If anyone with actual knowledge and experience with this could tell me if I'm doing things right/wrong I would be very grateful. Here's what I've been executing. 

$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m168 -u -U flash:w:gbamidi.hex -U lock:w:0x2f:m -U hfuse:w:0xdF:m -U lfuse:w:0xFf:m -U efuse:w:0x00:m 

I found those fuse bit values inside his makefile.

One thing that struck me as odd is that when I use terminal mode in avrdude and 'dump flash 0 16800' the lines 0000 all the way through 3800 are all 'ff', which if I'm not mistaken, that means blank. Though it might have something to do with something else I saw in the makefile. near the top under where he declares the MCU, it says 'BOOTLOADER_ADDRESS=0x3800'. Like I said I'm a beginner so I don't know much about any of this stuff. All I wanted was a MIDIboy Advance sad

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Aug 9, 2013 9:43 am)

Dallas, Texas

So I ended up figuring it out. I had a bad cable. I ripped up another one and now things are working. The above code is correct. and sending the firmware update through SysEx Librarian worked like a charm.

Michigan

I had forgotten about that project, its till in my bookmarks. Glad to hear you got it working though.
I plan on brewing up a few DIY boards for people to build into their hardware library.

All it would take is a a pretty simple modification to my ArduinoBoy board which will be printed soon too. Make some videos now that you have it. Too few people actually know about that tool.

Geneva, NY

Hells yes! I totally forgot about this one as well! Even bought a GBA with the intention of building one of these. I'll def take a DIY board.

Dallas, Texas

Here is my pcb layout if interested.

I'll record a video in a couple days or so.

Thank you!

Last edited by capsulebat (Jan 9, 2017 7:08 am)