NC in the US of America
TylerBarnes wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

But can it wub?

big_smile YES!

sweet! big_smile Thanks for taking the time to show us all this.

KC

Imma little confused as to how you set up the waves within the instruments.

Are they in a specific order? 

within one instrument, does it begin with the base wave and then sequentially go through the frames
like base wave->1 octave->2 octaves

do you make each instrument and manipulate the waves for a specific situation or do you just have the instruments all set up like a template or something.

KC

also: this is called the summation of a wave I've done this easily before on my hardware synths never thought about doing it in lsdj though.

and whats that program you used for the wave demonstration?

Puerto Rico

This just blew my mind. I don't think I'm gonna be able to leave the house now, haha.

BRB calling in sick to work so I can play with this.

Puerto Rico

Also, thanks so much for doing this. It IS a great resource and great help to us who are still in the dark about a few things!

Major props! smile

Dallas, Texas

I used Ableton Live 7.14 for the softsynth/oscilloscope demo. I used Adobe Illustrator CS4 for the graphs and drawings.

The only order I put the frames in was my order of preference. I grouped the related waves together starting with the lowest octave rising to the highest. The static fixed volume ones are all lumped together, the modulated ghost volume ones are together, as are the modulated sine volume ones. If you are referring to the instrument screen settings, the SYNTH number must be set to 00 if you want your F commands to correspond to the exact frame you want to choose. And the mode is set to manual.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm)

KC

so basically you group them together in an instrument suited to the situation you need.

i.e. instrument 01 when you want to mess with octaves, instrument 02 when you want to mess with volume,etc.
but you use the same synth for each instrument.

and when you place the F commands, they may or may not call up a wave from the next synth's set of waves?

or do you build the waves of a synth for that specific situation like I said above?
[instrument 01 when you want to mess with octaves, instrument 02 when you want to mess with volume,etc.]

you always start with a pure sine or square?

Dallas, Texas

No, that's not how it works at all. Try to forget the idea of instrument and synth numbers. It's all one big instrument. here's a little bit on how frames work....

Synth 00 will cause the default frame your notes will play to be frame 00. Choosing synth 01 on the instrument screen will instead cause frame 10 to be the default frame for that instrument. All the F command actually does is move the number of frames designated by the value you choose. For example if I have an instrument using synth 00 and enter F02 as my  command, this will cause the waveform 02 to play. But if I had instead chosen synth 01 on my instrument screen and placed F02 as my command, my note would be playing frame 12 instead.  This is because the F command only shifts the wave frame by the value you enter. If you want the F value to match the waveframe number you must choose synth 00 on your instrument screen.

Also if you add an F command without retriggering the note, the frames will be shifted from the current frame being played.  So if I play a note using synth 00 and F02 as my command frame 02 starts playing. If I then add the command F02 again without retriggering my note, frame 04 will start playing

I highly reccomend reading the user manual. I've read it through several times and still find helpful new things I hadn't soaked in the first time reading it. I also recommend just downloading the songfile/template I posted for this and just experiment/practice following along with the tutorial.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Aug 15, 2013 3:17 am)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Something to note, the F command will "cross" into frames of subsequent 'synths'. So if the frame at 1F is playing and you issue a F01 command, it will begin playing 20, if will not wrap and play 10.

KC

yeah I know all of that already. I've been through the manual a few times, slowly.

Just taking a little time to wrap my around exactly what you are doing with the frame placement.  cause that's one thing you didn't go into great detail about.

NC in the US of America

It seems like frame placement in this case is a matter of personal preference and situation. It's up to you how you want to setup the frames.

Germany

this is awesome, but i dont think i will use it but rather use multiple gameboys. sure, a little more expensive and not that awesome, but im no professional and i would need so much longer with this method.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Since you're manually switching frames, there's no real rules on the order or placement of the frames. You're manually addressing them every time you want to switch to one.

KC

well I was just trying to get inside his head on how he does it, since he seems to have already figured out the best way to actually apply it and make it sound good.

but I think I'm starting to see it now after going over it a few times.