washington

can regular 5-pin DIN midi jacks be used beside the USB?

basspuddle wrote:

can regular 5-pin DIN midi jacks be used beside the USB?

I don't see any pinouts for MIDI jacks, so I'd assume not. I think that the Teensy is a solution for people like myself who do not wish to use anything but USB MIDI with their Gameboys. Arduinoboys are multi-purpose because they natively support MIDI jacks and can easily be made computer-friendly with a USB-MIDI interface.

Different strokes/platforms for different folks.

washington

thanks max!

guess i'm going with an arduinoboy haha

Mexico

Thanks xray303 for these wonderful release!

xray303 wrote:

Today is the official release of the TeensyBoy.

What is a TeensyBoy ?
- It is simply a Arduinoboy on a Teensy 2.0.

What are the differences between Arduinoboy and TeensyBoy ?
- TeensyBoy is USB midi instead of classic Midi DIN connector, it doesn't need any driver just plus usb and it is recognized as a USB midi device

Is that all ?
- not exactly, Teensyboy is globally the same size as a Arduino Pro Mini ( so very small), more powerful than a Arduino Pro mini (doesn't change anything but it is easier to add new features), as it is Midi USB it need less components.

What are the difference in usability ?
- None, all Arduinoboy modes as been ported to work on the teensy, so usage is exactly the same.
The only difference is that there is no Max/MSP patch to configure it because it can be reconfigured with Arduino IDE directly with the USB

Arduinoboy mode available on Teensyboy :

1.LSDJ Slave :                     Working !
2. LSDJ Master:                   Working ! (tested with Ableton live 8)
3. LSDJ KEYBOARD mode: Working !
4. Nanoloop :                       Working ! (tested with nanoloop 1.6.3 demo)
5. mGB :                              Working !
6. LSDJ Midi Map :              Working !
7. LSDJ Midi Out :               Working !

How to build one ?
- Follow the schematics or cabling diagram, upload the code and that's it !
All infos available on : http://noizeinabox.blogspot.com/2013/08 … lease.html

The original code is from Trash80 the creator of ArduinoBoy, my part was to port it on Teensy and adapt for USB midi

Feel free to test it and don't hesitate to contact me if you see bugs or anything..

Pictures, code, etc.. available on the blog : http://noizeinabox.blogspot.ch/2013/08/ … lease.html
You can also look at this topic (it was made during the tests ): http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11708 … code-help/

Thanks to Trash80, maniacfreakquency, NEX, little-scale and all chipmusicians

Regards,

xray303 aka noizeinabox

EDIT : Revision 2 SMD pcb

Idea for the Teensyboy Shield SMD :

I used a resistor array because easy and fast to solder .. (but more expensive)..
The size is only  bit bigger than the teensy ... the Green PCB is a Teensy.

What do you think ? prefer a trough hole version ? (could be bigger) or the sme but with trough hole leds ??

Last edited by xray303 (Aug 18, 2013 9:21 pm)

Dallas, Texas
thursdaycustoms wrote:

My hero! I have a few teensy's and i need them to work properly since I don't actually need MIDI data for my own use. I just need USB sync. Thank you!

If sync is all you need what is wrong with little scale's $16 teensy midi sync? It work's well on DMG if you use a pulldown resistor on pin 3 of the link port.

TylerBarnes wrote:
thursdaycustoms wrote:

My hero! I have a few teensy's and i need them to work properly since I don't actually need MIDI data for my own use. I just need USB sync. Thank you!

If sync is all you need what is wrong with little scale's $16 teensy midi sync? It work's well on DMG if you use a pulldown resistor on pin 3 of the link port.

Sync is also using midi.. (usb midi). For few leds, resistors and one switch more you will get a full Arduinoboy but with USB midi

SLC, UT

Looks good!

Russia

led on D6 not work! I changed all (resistors and led and nothing) Why in your Game boy I see only 4 leds? On schematic there are 5 leds (with out F7) and 1 status led button?

Cleveland, OH
TylerBarnes wrote:
thursdaycustoms wrote:

Little-Scales teensy sync doesn't work for me. I have to have LSDJ in MIDI mode, take it out of MIDI mode, put it directly back into MIDI mode then start LSDJ and then start Ableton. THEN it will start and sync. Otherwise it just wont start LSDJ. I'm not sure why and I haven't really had the time to figure it out at all.

Cleveland, OH
xray303 wrote:

EDIT : Revision 2 SMD pcb

Idea for the Teensyboy Shield SMD :

I used a resistor array because easy and fast to solder .. (but more expensive)..
The size is only  bit bigger than the teensy ... the Green PCB is a Teensy.

What do you think ? prefer a trough hole version ? (could be bigger) or the sme but with trough hole leds ??

This is pretty cool. I made pretty much the same thing for the Arduino Pro-mini board. I would recommend using through hole LEDs and a single strong resistor. It really simplifies the whole design. Then you could mount the whole kit to a case and it would be easier to display the LEDs. On mine I use a single 1kohm resistor on the ground line of the LEDs since most of the time there is only one LED illuminated.

Russia

dont understand how button connected. please photo, not schematic

Mexico

stress_tn wrote:

dont understand how button connected. please photo, not schematic

Mexico

You don´t need to add F7 led, is for future usage, I mounted the 6 leds on the game boy.

stress_tn wrote:

led on D6 not work! I changed all (resistors and led and nothing) Why in your Game boy I see only 4 leds? On schematic there are 5 leds (with out F7) and 1 status led button?

Last edited by maniacfreakquency (Aug 28, 2013 1:49 am)

Russia
maniacfreakquency wrote:

You don´t need to add F7 led, is for future usage, I mounted the 6 leds on the game boy.

stress_tn wrote:

Thank you! I have some troubles with button. 5v I took from teensy VCC? Right?

Mexico

Your right, actually teensys button & leds should work without conecting the game boy when you plug the teensy into yout computer.

stress_tn wrote:
maniacfreakquency wrote:

Thank you! I have some troubles with button. 5v I took from teensy VCC? Right?