Michigan

Have a look at this miserable excuse for a front light:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/406029

Every other picture is stolen from Bibin's front-lighting tutorial! Some bot came over to NoiChan and resurrected an ancient for-sale thread to advertise these. It even went as far to upload one of the many images from Alixpress, not belonging to Bibin. What terrible work they did on the mad as well...

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Sep 12, 2013 2:30 pm)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:39 am)

matt's mind

likewise.

for what its worth, had samples made of these some years ago and the results were....  not satisfactory

sent some to thursday customs for some thoughts in case i was being hard on myself, and, well, there was a reason they were never produced...

Cleveland, OH

The only issue is figuring out what the light refraction film is! I haven't been able to find any info on this material.
I ordered a couple just in case. Why not. If I can't figure a way to get them to work as front lights then I'm just going to make a couple white backlights out of them. Cheaper this way anyway.

matt's mind

i got my sample from them finally just now!  i was curious about what it was too and wanted to see how it differed from mine, the post is spot on with their timing its weird sometimes

you'll see what they've done in place of the film (when you get your sample too)....  i suppose its sort of novel, but it looks pretty fuzzy

and, like he said ^, a good light material and mine are good to go!  if anyone has any thoughts on that....

Milwaukee, WI

That rose colored gaming guy gets his sourced out from a friend or something.  Might be worth contacting him to see where they are produced.

matt's mind

oh, right on!

we're working together on another little somthin' too, so that works well

SLC, UT

Off topic, but please for the sake of humanity be working on a micro faceplate that isn't 30 dollars.

I remember digging around on Alibaba and finding some GBA SP AGS001 screen replacement kits, and they came with frontlights. They were something like $17. Not sure if they were old Nintendo stock or what, but they were once there. Can't find them now.

These possibly could be the same frontlight units...

matt's mind

(if we were looking at the same stuff) they were the afterburner kits, they've been out of stock everywhere for a while now (couple years), they were NOS from a kit that came out when the non-lit model was available in stores, which wasn't a nintendo product.  bung maybe?  it was one of the companies which got sued and shut down

there was also the mash-mods kit, which i ended up buying the last of the stock before he dropped doing that stuff so i know those are all done with and gone (and that was years ago...  i bet 2006).  bought every single one he had left laying around, which wasn't but around 10 kits hmm

Cleveland, OH

I think he meant replacement LCDs with the built in frontlight just like the AGS-001 Advance SP. I bought about 10 of those eBay a couple years back but haven't seen them since. Used them all for the frontlights and threw out the LCDs. It's a shame really. There needs to be a good frontlight kit!

matt's mind

ohhhhhhhh.  yeah, i was thinking it was the loose frontlight kits they had just packaged with an LCD.  a while ago there were some afterburners+LCD on there

nevermind!

i'd love to see pics of that, have a feeling alibaba doesn't get great wayback machine love

Milwaukee, WI
kitsch wrote:

oh, right on!

we're working together on another little somthin' too, so that works well

=o

Alive and well in fucksville

if someone has screwed up on the frontlight mod and is willing to part with the piece of plastic i could see if my sister (who just got a lazer engraver) could duplicate it... theres no way i am gutting another 001

Last edited by bitjacker (Sep 12, 2013 8:36 pm)

Germany

What about this site?
wudaren.taobao.com

As I read he is called Zerey Zhang and is offering full display replacement kits for the first GBA.
And it seems to be a bargain.
There is also a ribbon cable to connect an AGS-101 screen with BACKLIGHT to the old GBA.
If only the select button wasnt that misplaced...

I found it hard to read the page, you may also I guess, so here his mail:
zereyzhang (at) yahoo (dot) com

more information:
http://circuit-board.de/forum/viewtopic … amp;t=9546 (Tutorial, german, sorry)

and

http://imgur.com/a/5jbCb (Tutorial, english)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:35 am)