Arad, Romania
e.s.c. wrote:

ok, and all the other artists and comps? like that cdk one? you need to pay attention to license details. technically all of yours are in violation just by not having the creative commons logo attached, but thats just being nitpicky

Most of them were like this, some of them weren't, I'll admit. Still, all this time it didn't occur to me that it would hurt the artists.

canada

i make a fanfic of this thread:

tss: where art thou oh soundwave trax you have stolen goods

qb: oh i am sorry you had a sign that said free on it. i will give it back.

tss: no you idiot just ask me you are being dumb

TSSBAY01

when you upload material to bandcamp, its all the same license. you dont get to choose. this line of though about the licensing has less to do with qb's using that to his advantage as kind of a safety net to avoid that he should perhaps feel a bit morally obligated to ask people for their blessing with his channel, which honestly would have gotten the word out about what he was doing in a more positive fashion, right? otherwise, why is he taking down people's work now? i had never heard of his channel, who else here had?

now he maybe feels like he has no other choice to do what he should have done in the beginning and ask artists if they're ok with it because i said something about it in a public forum and because i had no clue who it even was. anyone who had worked with pause in particular as closely as i had maybe would have felt a little bit weird to see a lions share of its discography uploaded to youtube too. that in itself turns any sense of community on its ear when someone would have a channel with that much material up with little to no contact with the artists who made it or anything.

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

when you upload material to bandcamp, its all the same license. you dont get to choose.

don't lie

edit: d'oh

Last edited by sandneil (Oct 5, 2013 10:46 pm)

Nomad's Land

The whole idea of CC licenses is that you don't have to ask the artist when sharing the music. Except BY-NC-ND which can be used to rule out Youtube, but not widget embedding via soundcloud or bandcamp. Just sayin'

TSSBAY01

enough about the licensing.

i didnt want to talk about licenses either but the differences is that i took that position from the start rather than adopting it when i was called out for lying about easily proven objective facts

South Jersey, USA

Hey peeps,
Just wondering, am I the only person here that shamelessly pmed qb links to my music?

NC in the US of America

My standpoint is superior because I am not making personal attacks and think it is okay to change your point of view depending on your personal experiences.

I'm being silly.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 6, 2013 1:42 am)

TSSBAY01

if you did that and he put it up that it'd be a good way to get yourself about 20 listens of your music, imagine that! wink

the way i see it, he never offered this up and had a huge amount of material there. why do that? why not promote it? because he didnt want people to know? its shady. he never made it known that he even had this channel on this forum or anywhere else from what i can tell, so its kind of shady and obsessive and shady creepy after talking to this guy, he gives me a pretty shady vibe. speaking of shady, looks like he removed a substantial amount of people's music like he said he would, probably because he knows he did something wrong...even though he's still rambling on like a robot in my inbox saying he doesnt think he did anything wrong. he said my complaining was analogous to him giving a copy of my music to one of his friends, instead of directing them to a website. instead, its more like putting a copy of his entire music collection online for all of his friends, because thats what it was, was it not? ahaha. dont answer that! let this thread sink to the bottom or close this shit.

anyway, im out. cristian, you're a weird jerk. ask people from now on if you're going to run your channel. this is chipmusic, theres no reason for you to have a channel like that and not ask people for submissions.

Florida

As a weird hippie who releases almost everything for free, I don't mind my music being on this channel. It doesn't bother me that he didn't ask either.

That said, it's entirely reasonable that someone would feel that they should've been contacted first. Not really that outlandish. Both opinions are valid. neutral

NC in the US of America
Jay Tholen wrote:

As a weird hippie who releases almost everything for free, I don't mind my music being on this channel. It doesn't bother me that he didn't ask either.

That said, it's entirely reasonable that someone would feel that they should've been contacted first. Not really that outlandish. Both opinions are valid. neutral

^ the problem being either opinion holders treating holding themselves as superior over the other.

Edit: Oh, I wanted to say that seeing as how chipmusic.org is not even nearly the center of the chipmusic world I think it is too much to expect the guy to create a thread here specifically about his youtube channel, tongue

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 6, 2013 2:27 am)

Baja California

...so this thread went from "Can you guys help me with ..." towards "Fuck off Crystal Stealers" finishing with author right's lessons.
That's why I like this forum smile

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

the way i see it, he never offered this up and had a huge amount of material there. why do that? why not promote it? because he didnt want people to know? its shady. he never made it known that he even had this channel on this forum or anywhere else from what i can tell, so its kind of shady and obsessive and shady creepy after talking to this guy, he gives me a pretty shady vibe. speaking of shady, looks like he removed a substantial amount of people's music like he said he would, probably because he knows he did something wrong...even though he's still rambling on like a robot in my inbox saying he doesnt think he did anything wrong. he said my complaining was analogous to him giving a copy of my music to one of his friends, instead of directing them to a website. instead, its more like putting a copy of his entire music collection online for all of his friends, because thats what it was, was it not? ahaha. dont answer that! let this thread sink to the bottom or close this shit.

anyway, im out. cristian, you're a weird jerk. ask people from now on if you're going to run your channel. this is chipmusic, theres no reason for you to have a channel like that and not ask people for submissions.

Sorry, this is where I have to put my foot down.

First of all, your implication that his practices are "shady" because he doesn't advertise his channel? Are you seriously saying something so ridiculous? Did you miss the part where he profits nothing from his channel? He doesn't make money from it, so there is no "shady" objective to be sought by not asking the artists, he himself stated that many of the artists simply don't reply back, which seems like a fair reason. Most people wouldn't have all the time in the world to ask artists if they could share their creations.

Secondly, it's becoming clear at this point that you are more worked up over this than qb is. You're basically insulting him in a variety of ways, just because he has a different opinion than you and chooses to keep it. You are the one who is bringing this thread down. Everyone else was much less emotionally invested compared to you.

"ask people from now on if you're going to run your channel"? He has no obligation, morally or otherwise, to do that.

Unsubscribe

Dont post on the weekends

Last edited by herr_prof (Oct 6, 2013 5:38 am)

Seattle, WA US
qb wrote:

Having read some of the replies here I decided to delete most of the videos on the channel (it will take a while).

please feel free to keep my tracks on the channel.

edited cause mom said to play nice

Last edited by boaconstructor (Oct 6, 2013 8:47 am)