NC in the US of America

Man, I'd love to hear listener-only/non-artists answer this question.

Anywho, i like chipmusic because it sounds cool, has nice variety, I was exposed to the sound palette as a young child so I'm attached to it, it is pretty, it is ugly, it is nice, it is abrasive, it is smooth, and tickles my fancy very effectively.

Michigan
SketchMan3 wrote:

Man, I'd love to hear listener-only/non-artists answer this question.

I did, but spared the detail. tongue

walter b. gentle wrote:

iayd

basically.

Iowa

Hardware wise. I'm really interested in music hardware but it seem a bit complicated but chipmusic has been way simpler for me

seattle

to me musically it's very attractive because of the limitation. with other platforms (trackers or other instruments in general) i get distracted easily, and it's hard to write anything worth while.

for the listening portion, i think it's cool because it's easier to display emotion and creativity through limitation, and it's hard to get distracted with all the possible sounds like other mediums, simply because there aren't that many possible sounds (when compared to other mediums).

and also, the community is rad. everyone's really involved with each other and are generally supportive, and that's cool.

New Albany Indiana

I like chip music because it's something so seemingly simple yet complex in its own way.
I like chip music because it's not all about the catchy hooks and repetitive lyrics but more about the beauty of the melodies and tune.

I see the true potential in chip music that others not like us are blinded from.

I don't think people see that chipmusic was the basis for modern day electronic music.

/dev/sda2

I guess it's mostly nostalgia for me. I played a lot of game boy and dos games, and listened to their soundtracks everywhere, so those sounds mean a lot to me. They sorta became representative of various events in my life. So I came to the logical conclusion that, since I love these soundchips so much, I should try to write music of my own with them. But I love listening to other people's stuff here, because it's usually awesome, and it's all the sounds I love without the headache of composing them myself on a soulless tracker. But I digress. The community is quite rad indeed.

i like the people

UK, Leicester

Oh yeah, I don't like it because of any nostalgia or anything, the gameboy predates me by about 8 years.
I just like the sounds that people manage to get out of old consoles/hardware/whatever. It's that whole pushing everything to it's limit mentality that I like

Alive and well in fucksville
boaconstructor wrote:

The luscious ladies

this scene is a total sausage party.

Nottingham, UK

I'd heard a lot of bullshit 8BIT music and figured there must be more too it. I was right.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Oct 12, 2013 2:14 pm)

i really love seeing people push limitations and i guess hacking   is very  kool ?

i love modding my gameboy and taking it to school so people think hey?? you're making music on that thing?? and im like heck  yeah ; ) check it out!! and then they are like wow that is impossible you're a genius i love it i love the music hackin g that you're doin

i also love the aspect that ican play live shows when we all know im not doing anything other than hitting play i love that we can just appreciate the music knowing that ......... chipmusic is amazing for me

canada

like the heavy heavy smile

South Korea

The ability of some artists to take something rather dull (simple waveforms) and give it soul (kind of like good graffiti on shitty buildings) is what drew me in.
The variety of sounds and genres in a format so limiting, and the staggering amount of GOOD releases, is what keeps me here.
...and wailord's avatar tongue

Seattle, WA
boaconstructor wrote:

The luscious ladies

California

In addition to the limitations, I like that in general the cost of doing chiptune is fairly low, so you get all these great artists who have talent but not necessarily the money to spend on good gear and such. A $300 guitar will probably never sound as good as a $10000 guitar, but a ten dollar Gameboy from the thrift store in good condition is just as good as any other Gameboy (for the most part).