Sydney

Hey, I don't know if this has been covered, if so, Admins please remove this post.

I am currently working a few tunes (DMG & LSDJ), Ill probably compile them in to an EP, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I have tried writing and arranging every thing LSDJ but I prefer to maybe make like a 8 bar/ 16 bar melody, Record it, (Logic Or Reason) then compose a bassline, layer that underneath, then drum parts and then crash's with the noise. I prefer to arrange it in a DAW, I still apply to the "4 sounds at once" thing-o magi-go but I like to have kick & snare on separate tracks.

Then as far as mixing, Mix it as if it were a normal tune, EQing to make space, compression, Not a lot, not a huge dynamic range in chip I have found but just enough to "Glue" it together. Bit of verb were I feel necessary, I have even been coming out of the box into an analog delay just for a little contrast.

Im just curious, Is it still chip?? I mean I personally feel thats its borderline fake bit. And am i going too far as terms of mixing.

I'm very happy with how it sounds, And as much as I love the community, I will never compose music solely for it. Im just curious as to what other peoples thoughts are? And if you do anything similar?

thanks

EVE-X
http://iamEVE-X.com

even f a k e b i t is ok so you will be fine with borderline fakebit

the lines are fuzzy here :  )

BOSTON

you dont have to have our approval to do things. the only question that has to be answered is "does it sound like you want it to?" If the music is good, the methods will be justified whatever they might be. if the music is simply 'to do chiptune', then people might judge you on more specific criteria.

Toronto, Canada

Regardless of how you record or multitrack, you are using the gameboy to make the sounds.  Doesn't get much more chip than that.  Anybody calling that fake bit is retarded.  I think you will find pretty much any chiptune stuff you hear with really good production was multitracked for mixing.

As far as the production goes, if it sounds good, great!  This is music after all, the idea is for it to sound good.  Bad production on a lot of chip stuff is simply down to the artist either wanting to keep it raw, not knowing how to properly mix a track or not having access to the tools required for a proper production.

Keep doing your thing.  Who cares what other people think.  Honestly, what are they going to say?  'This sounds too good to be chip'?

If you have the skills to make your tracks sound better than a raw recording, why wouldn't you?

Last edited by Infinity Curve (Oct 30, 2013 3:59 pm)

UK, Leicester

just make the music that you like

Chicago IL

boycott on all non lsdj tracks

Madriz, Supain
Saskrotch wrote:

boycott on all non lsdj 3.1 or under tracks

Boise, ID

Lots of people do what you're talking about tongue

Sweden
Infinity Curve wrote:

Who cares what other people think.

Most people do, or they would not easily function in society.

Infinity Curve wrote:

Honestly, what are they going to say?  'This sounds too good to be chip'?

I dunno, maybe "Please kill me, these square waves just sound awful with that amount of reverb!"

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

If the music is good, the methods will be justified whatever they might be.

*Throws babies in the meat grinder for my next speedcore album*

Boise, ID

oh boomlinde smile

Leiden

Its not how you get there, its all about the end result.

Toronto, Canada
boomlinde wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:

Who cares what other people think.

Most people do, or they would not easily function in society.

Infinity Curve wrote:

Honestly, what are they going to say?  'This sounds too good to be chip'?

I dunno, maybe "Please kill me, these square waves just sound awful with that amount of reverb!"

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

If the music is good, the methods will be justified whatever they might be.

*Throws babies in the meat grinder for my next speedcore album*

I suppose it is easier to follow the flock than to think for yourself.  FYI, Mixing a track properly does not = OMG da reverbz!!

Tokyo, Japan
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

you dont have to have our approval to do things. the only question that has to be answered is "does it sound like you want it to?"

This

Also I'm much more concerned about the is it completely awesome or not factor.

Sweden
Infinity Curve wrote:

I suppose it is easier to follow the flock than to think for yourself.

Those two aren't mutually exclusive. It just so happens that humans are quite social creatures, and I don't understand why individualism is the (impossible) ideal in this matter, when you can learn from the perspectives of others.

Infinity Curve wrote:

FYI, Mixing a track properly does not = OMG da reverbz!!

Did I ever say it was? By "maybe" I mean to say that it's one of the potential outcomes besides someone saying "This sounds too good to be chip".

Unsubscribe

Too much is better than not enough.