Brunswick, GA USA

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … read-this/

sylcmyk, disasterpeace, aivi & surhassu, i like these guys :  )

Huh, I didn't know people considered .xm/.it/.s3m to be "fakebit." If that's considered fakebit, there's a lot of really good artists.

If we're just considering the use of DAWs and lots of post-processing (what i thought "fakebit" was...), I'd suggest MisfitChris.

NC in the US of America

I decided not to make the rule "no discussion on the definition of fakebit or questioning the authenticity of another poster's recommendation" because somehow I was optimistic that THIS wouldn't happen, and because I don't like making rules like that. Oh well...

sandneil wrote:

i dunno im more offended by the fact that sketchman could only think of 3 good examples of it than the etymology of the word

well you know how woozy my brain can be sometimes. I especially forget things when I'm trying to think of them. Your definition of fakebit is probably different than mine. Plus I didn't want to make a huge list to start with. It could be that maybe the music fooled and wowed me so much that I didn't realize or think to care that the music wasn't made on an NES or SID or Amiga.

I've seen ant1 refer to some of his stuff as fakebit so I guess I'll have to add him to the list. Oh! Also I forgot Protodome. Wow. And Zantilla.

I don't hold any feelings of inferiority towards "fakebit" as being inauthentic or whatever. Frankly I don't care about anything but the sound appealing to -- or challenging -- my tastes.

It's really confusing when people call their own music fakebit and then complain about feeling insulted by people calling it fakebit. I know I know... people like to be ironic and stuff but... eh :\

edit:

If we're just considering the use of DAWs and lots of post-processing (what i thought "fakebit" was...), I'd suggest MisfitChris

Yeah, that's more what I was thinking. I didn't really consider modules to be in the "fakebit" category. I was more thinking "DAWbit" when I made this thread, but didn't want to restrict it too much.

› 1 - Chipmusic on a modern PC

I just saw FoD's post, and yeah... I wish I had been here when that was made so I could just stop the thread there. I honestly don't like the term either, but I thought since established and good artists were using it to describe their own stuff that it was an appropriate term to use.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Nov 4, 2013 12:31 am)

California

+1 for PolarBirds, his music is cool. NightRadio also does some cool stuff with SunVox, unless that falls into the modules category.

Last edited by VCMG (Nov 3, 2013 6:13 pm)

UK, Leicester

Imo, fish&chipp makes some pretty good stuff, he writes midis and then runs them through gcxsee or whatever it's called.

I prefer the term post-chiptune. cool

Unsubscribe

i prefer the term "music".

Puerto Rico

You guys tried to argue against the usage of "8bit" and "chiptune" for the more accurate and serious term "chipmusic", but I still see (non-musician) fans out there using "8bit" and "chiptunes" the most, with little to no negative associations.

You guys tried to argue against the usage of "fakebit" but I hadn't really seen any alternative suggestions for """DAWbit""" up until this point and HONESTLY? People out there are still gonna use "fakebit" the most, with little to no negative associations.

Yeah, this distinction is important, it might not seem like it but listeners pay attention to the medium of the music they listen to; guitars probably still clenching on desperately to the title of most used and most recognizable instrument.

ON TOPIC: I really like http://lovethroughcannibalism.bandcamp.com/ and http://oceanpalace.bandcamp.com/ and http://v-road.bandcamp.com and, though much less primordially chip, I like http://starpilot.ca/, http://bearandwalrus.bandcamp.com and http://undyingbloop.bandcamp.com

Last edited by Xuriik (Nov 13, 2013 5:26 am)

Lun-dun

Sorry to wade it late, but I have to admit I'm kind of in Alpine's side of the court, here.

As someone relatively new to chipmusic, my whole reason for getting involved in the first place is because I wanted sound to come out of my Gameboy and now I have there is something inherently magical about it. I have had Pro Tools for years and while I am fully aware of the chipesque abilities within this domain, the fact that people have taken the time to consider which makes the best sounds out of a DMG, MGB or GBC probably means enough people care about the (and I use this word very reluctantly) "authenticity" of the sounds being produced. A surprisingly large number of people can hear nuanced differences in music, even if they can't describe them or care to know what those differences are. If you play someone a midi rendition of a string quartet and a real one, they'll say the music is the same but one sounds a bit odd, perhaps using words such as robotic or even fake, or maybe computerised. That's quite an obvious difference - the average listener can hear much more subtle ones, too, I'm simply using an example.

Maybe my years of listening to the sorts of bands who had to have this certain guitar, with this certain amp and this certain keyboard has made me a bit snobby about this sort of thing but I like having the sounds come from the original source. I'd always take an analogue piece of hardware like a 606 drum machine over a set of 606 samples, the original sound is what I'm after and I can alter it how it was intended to be altered, though admittedly chipmusic is far less elitist as analogue gear costs heaps and a gameboy set up is about £30 including the gameboy - why wouldn't you use the hardware?! (rhetorical, slightly sarcastic question)

Far be it from me to decide, but I personally believe it is unfair to label "fakebit" and whatever we're calling "purist chipmusic" the same certainly within the walls of this forum as there are fundamental differences in the way the sound has to be produced and as he says, if the point isn't to get sounds from the old hardware then I think I've missed the point, too. There's no denying that at the end of the day it is all "just music" and to the casual listener none of this will make much difference unless they themselves define their tastes by authenticity (and let's be fair here, some people do, and many artists market themselves in ways that flag up their authenticity to the sort of people that care about it as a key part of what they do in all genres, not just chip, completely ignoring those that will just hear "some music"). If we can have "House", "Funky House", "Ambient House", "Vocal House", I don't know, "Cawing Macacque samples House", then why shouldn't there be sub-genres of chip? It happens in all the others as well, synth-pop, punk-rock, metal, doom-metal...

In terms of how I ideally want to make my music, it is triggering the sounds on my Gameboy using mGB and MIDI out of Pro Tools (when I can finally get Pro Tools to send the right clock signals). The use of a DAW certainly makes it easier to produce in a lot of ways so I agree with others that it is mainly about the timbres but I don't think it can be argued that fakebit is a pretty accurate description for those who don't use the hardware. Unfortunately, it's not a particularly endearing term, much like labelling someone a "cripple" instead of someone who is "differently able". Both are technically accurate but one has very negative connotations and can be offensive. Synthchip or chipsynth or whatever was coined before has been my favourite alternative so far.

With all of this said, I've spent the last few months really listening hard to the tunes and links people have posted on here, learning more and more as I go. At the end of the day, if a piece of music sounds good I'm not going to stop listening to it just because a guy made it with digital synthesis or samples instead of an old games console. Someone else said music is music and I very much agree as I'm not going to stop listening to something good just because a guy made it on his computer instead of using hardware, though if that is entirely the case why aren't we linking stuff by artists who don't make chipmusic on here? Why are we on a chipmusic forum? For those that are interested in how it's made, why would there be a problem with making a distinction? Guitar mags are always telling people what guitar, pedals and amps have been used to get such and such a sound.

To bring this lengthy bawl to a close (sorry about that), I fully intend to use a combination of instrumentation in future compositions as my real intention is to create chip-based backing tracks for songs - SONGS - the main reason I compose music regardless of the style/instrumentation/limitations. If it needs digitally recreated stuff, then that's what it needs but if someone asks, it's nice to have a universally acceptable way of telling someone how it was achieved. Chipsynth FTW.

NC in the US of America

I just wanted to hear some good chipmusic made in modern non-chipmusic-specific DAWs and/or with VSTs... -_-

Am I late to the punch?

Because... we could always call it "synth". I mean sure, it won't always involve analog synthesizers a la Vangelis, but I doubt even the out run scene nowadays relies solely on hardware, much less old hardware.

And, well... we're using synth. AM? FM? Phase distortion? Additive? Subtractive? Granular? Procedural? Samples? Whatever? It's synthesis!

Toronto, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

i prefer the term "music".

canada

i prefer the term "egg"

wailord wrote:

i prefer the term "egg"

I think I need a nice egg in this trying time.

California

Aivi & Surasshu - The Black Box is some nice 'DAWbit' + piano. At least, I'm pretty sure the chiptune part was made in a DAW.