Unsubscribe

Clubs pay money to publishers for any songs that are played or covered on their premises, so if he has signed up with one of those publishers, he got paid.

*Probably not

sandneil wrote:

if he says no are you gonna go back in time and play a different song at all those live gigs

That wasn't why Wizwars was trying to contact this individual.

Wizwars wrote:

I'd like to include it on "Wizwars No Densetsu", which will hopefully be on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, of course Bandcamp, etc...but the thing is, I can't find much info on this Jellydog guy anywhere.

UK, Leicester
boomlinde wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

In many countries a copyright - which, you're right, is an inherent property of a work - must be registered with a legal body in order to be defensible under the law. A piece a music that you write is your copyright and does not need to be "copyrighted", simply by creating the work you own the copyright to it. However, in many countries without registering that copyright you cannot defend it in court and it is therefor pretty useless.

This is obviously what people mean when they use copyright as a verb, they mean to register a copyright.

Yes, I'm sure people who talk about "copyrighting" are referring to the practice of registering copyright that is required to make it defensible under law in some countries that didn't agree to the Berne convention.

HINT: They aren't.

maybe they are?* Maybe you should give less of a shit?**

* They are

** You should

Sweden
Alpine wrote:

* They are

** You should

While we're talking about giving less of a shit, maybe you should refrain from -- seemingly out of frustration at your total lack of actual arguments -- randomly joining discussions just to tell people to give less shit about the matter of hand.

I'm sure Wizwars assumed that the person who he concluded to be a Swede lived in one of the tiny minority of countries where the Berne convention isn't applicable.

I feel like there's a cross-eyed mob gathering to throw rotten tomatoes at me for matter-of-factly pointing something out to Wizwars.

Los Angeles, CA

Hey so uh, yeah, I don't really know much about copyright. I'm not that smart of a dude. I figured that you had to register a track with a copyright office and pay money, otherwise why do those things exist? Makes little sense to me, but few things in this world do. ANYWAY, look, I'm trying to find the guy because I don't want to use this track without his permission, that's the entire point of my post. I'm still not worried about copyright because I highly, HIGHLY doubt someone is going to take the time and money to retain a lawyer and fucking sue me for expanding a basic musical idea from a .mod written 15 years ago into a full song. But that's not the point; even with this knowledge, I do not feel comfortable using this track without his blessing if it can possibly be obtained. There is very little to go on, I contacted the only Stellan Andersson on Facebook, and while he is a chipmusician (Dane) it's not the same guy. I'm asking people here because I know a lot of you have been around for years, which is why I asked if anyone could help. The lecture on the semantics of copyright are not necessary and once I saw what the posts were about I mostly skipped over them, so you're wasting your time in this thread.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

Clubs pay money to publishers for any songs that are played or covered on their premises, so if he has signed up with one of those publishers, he got paid.

*Probably not

Oddly enough, in many countries you can be paid royalties for performing your own songs at a club.

Sweden

If he didn't reply to you on Facebook, the message might have ended up in his "Other" inbox. You could try csdb.dk. He is active in the C64 scene still.

Los Angeles, CA

He did reply on Facebook, it is not the same guy. It is interesting that there are possibly two Stellan Andersson's in Sweden that make / made chipmusic, but I have no idea how common of a name that is...

I did write to this guy, who specifically says he is not the C64 Stellan Andersson / Dane and also has some very demoscene sounding chippy stuff tucked away in his sounds - https://soundcloud.com/stellan-andersson. We'll see if anything comes from it. Considering that Jellydog only has 30 or so modules floating around and most of them are very short or video game song conversions, not sure how active or known he was in the scene, definitely doesn't have any sort of trail or presence on the net other than at mod archive sites.

Sweden

Ah, ok. Well, Andersson is the most common surname in Sweden, and Stellan is not an uncommon first name... The soundcloud you link to says it's not that of Dane, so you should still try on csdb.

matt's mind

Dane =/= Jellydog, he already got in touch with Dane

thats why he's trying the soundcloud guy (who isn't Dane)

Maine

what if he is dead? that would be crazy...

Los Angeles, CA

I've considered that possibility...at this point if the guy on soundcloud doesn't turn out to be him I'll probably just include the track as free bonus material along with the other covers I'm doing.

UK, Leicester
boomlinde wrote:
Alpine wrote:

* They are

** You should

While we're talking about giving less of a shit, maybe you should refrain from -- seemingly out of frustration at your total lack of actual arguments -- randomly joining discussions just to tell people to give less shit about the matter of hand.

I'm sure Wizwars assumed that the person who he concluded to be a Swede lived in one of the tiny minority of countries where the Berne convention isn't applicable.

I feel like there's a cross-eyed mob gathering to throw rotten tomatoes at me for matter-of-factly pointing something out to Wizwars.

I like it when people assume things about me. No, the actual reason that I posted was that you seemed to be way to involved (in my opinion) in repeating a point, that wasn't the point to be precise. I also think that both of us were quite aggressive, and I wish that I hadn't posted what I did, the way I did, I apologise for that.

Brunswick, GA USA
kitsch wrote:

(if mr. wizwars sees this post first...)

check your facebook messages!  just sent you something re: this

Bump to make sure the real content isn't lost among the noise.

herr_prof wrote:

Its just a video game, jerk.

Is that an obscure reference to the interview Timbaland gave after ripping off chiptune-artist Tempest? tongue

Also Someday is an awesome track, one of my favourites from the chiptune.org archive, always did feel unfinished though so I can see why the OP built upon it. Hope you can find the guy.

Last edited by metropeak (Nov 15, 2013 1:06 am)

buffalo, NY
metropeak wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Its just a video game, jerk.

Is that an obscure reference to the interview Timbaland gave after ripping off chiptune-artist Tempest? tongue

yes