Arad, Romania

Does anyone else like to put hidden messages or meanings into their songs or albums, in titles or anything else related to the songs themselves. I'm talking about subtle meanings in the form of, for example, anagrams, but I'm also curious about other ways to do that.

I haven't actually released any of my projects in finished form (yet), but I'm planning on including some messages in my future releases, mainly about the events that inspired the creation of the songs or the concept of the album. Without revealing any specific details, I can say that most of my songs were inspired by events from my life, and most of that inspiration is attributed to a few girls that I liked at the time. I thought about sneaking in their names as a tribute (or thanks for the inspiration), even though they may never find out. It would be kinda awkward to come up to them and say "Hey, so I wrote a bunch of songs about you...".

Does anyone else like to do this sort of thing? You could also share a bit of insight about the inspiration behind your songs\releases.

Last edited by qb (Nov 30, 2013 10:15 pm)

Madriz, Supain

If at some point SBSM became somewhat famous you guys would have a terrible time finding all of them.

there are a few on each album, some more literal than others:

Los Angeles, CA

Each of my albums is a narrative, and I try to leave it up to the listener to decide what they think that narrative is.  I've always wanted to try to hide a puzzle hunt in an album, with some more narrative at the end of it, but that would best be done by someone much smarter than I.

Arad, Romania

@4mat I knew about the "Decades" thing, though I didn't figure it out myself. Now you got me extremely curious about the other albums.

@SBSM Yeah, I'm kind of afraid of being too cryptic, so I was thinking of something like taking the first letter of each song title (in normal or reverse order) to form names or words.

Edit: @Mrwimmer Yes, a puzzle would be interesting. That's actually what I was originally thinking of but I didn't want to reveal too much for now.

Last edited by qb (Nov 30, 2013 11:05 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

Read up on ARGs and the MIT puzzle hunt for ideas.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Lot of my song titles are anagrams or have encrypted messages.

http://www.soundcloud.com/delek_music

Last edited by Delek (Nov 30, 2013 11:19 pm)

zobe

greetings!

At aanaaanaaanaaana.net we employ both surface and obscure techniques to instil extra meaning into our music. At a glance there is obviously some gematric composition taking place and, in an .it format, the order the samples are loaded in can be important - try discovering which sound's size is not 5:3 with the previous and consider what the anomaly might mean. One track features a bassline describing the sigil supposedly used to summon Amdusias. But as well as those ciphers for novice exegesists, a more profound trick is taking place during the download period - I will not reveal its nature except to say that, given how impaired your vision is to the former truths, what exactly assures you to think that you are receiving the same album as everybody else?

((())) aanaaanaaanaaana.net :: vast anti-official loser invasion squad ((()))

Abandoned on Fire
aanaaanaaanaaana wrote:

greetings!

At aanaaanaaanaaana.net we employ both surface and obscure techniques to instil extra meaning into our music. At a glance there is obviously some gematric composition taking place and, in an .it format, the order the samples are loaded in can be important - try discovering which sound's size is not 5:3 with the previous and consider what the anomaly might mean. One track features a bassline describing the sigil supposedly used to summon Amdusias. But as well as those ciphers for novice exegesists, a more profound trick is taking place during the download period - I will not reveal its nature except to say that, given how impaired your vision is to the former truths, what exactly assures you to think that you are receiving the same album as everybody else?

((())) aanaaanaaanaaana.net :: vast anti-official loser invasion squad ((()))

The beauty of this post brings tears to my eyes. :,)

Dallas, Texas

I plan on putting secret messages in HEX inside the free space of NSF releases.

Clermont-Ferrand, France
TylerBarnes wrote:

I plan on putting secret messages in HEX inside the free space of NSF releases.

this

UK, Leicester

release music on tape, and right at the end of the second side, have a short commodore program with a "thanks for listening dickhead" flashing on the screen

woah wait u guys are all illuminati omg

tell kanye i say hi

Arizona

Sometimes I write songs with a specific person in mind and name it something that I know will resonate with that particular individual. I've done it a few times about a handful of different people. Mainly its just me trying to choke too much meaning and emotional value out of uptempo instrumental dance tracks I write on Gameboys while dealing with past relationships/life events in an obscure, roundabout way.

But hey, whatever works right?

Clermont-Ferrand, France

I do this :

Compose music. Finish it someday. Listen to it. Think of something listening to it. Name the track with it.