Louisville Ky
Puke_Flytalker wrote:

i agree but this is an off topic thread and according to what ive been scolded for this isnt appropriate for a chiptune board.. although i fully agree about warning veterans about this craziness.. might i also add its easy as hell to yank personal info off of twic cards.. something else you should keep hidden in a safe place when not in use

i have not been told repeatedly might i add

It's part of one of those gray-zone thingys.
The only difference between this thread and your thread is this isn't a wast of time and internet space.
This is one guy just looking out for the rest of us.

From a struggling musician, i appreciate your heads up kutsubomnga. (I FORGOT TO SPELL YOUR NAME).

Alive and well in fucksville

kush-bong? ( that works well)

Litebritedeath Land

Before my phone started spelling it for me I remembered kat-sum-b-hong

Taichung, Taiwan

I got the name from a spelling mistake I made many moons ago.

Sometime in the very late 90's or the early 2000's I saw a stand up special with Russell Peters on the internet and there was a part of his routine where a guy named Anthony was asked for his Chinese name and it apparently sounded like "Tap Some Bong" and Peters was making a joke about that. I thought he said Katsumbhong...

I had to tell a guy the other day at work that it's a bad idea to carry his social card in his wallet. Some people scare me. Information and it's security is a sensitive subject and very questionable these days.

Louisville Ky
12ianma wrote:

I had to tell a guy the other day at work that it's a bad idea to carry his social card in his wallet. Some people scare me. Information and it's security is a sensitive subject and very questionable these days.

I can't tell you how many times my bank information has been stolen and used to by shoes from zappos.

matt's mind
Orin wrote:
12ianma wrote:

I can't tell you how many times my bank information has been stolen and used to by shoes from zappos.

thieves always seem to need new shoes!  i've known several people who had their stolen credit card #s used for zappos

katsumbhong wrote:

I got the name from a spelling mistake I made many moons ago.

Sometime in the very late 90's or the early 2000's I saw a stand up special with Russell Peters on the internet and there was a part of his routine where a guy named Anthony was asked for his Chinese name and it apparently sounded like "Tap Some Bong" and Peters was making a joke about that. I thought he said Katsumbhong...

hahaha i am glad you explained this! i have been wondering how to pronounce your sn for a while

Manchester, UK

That whole Russell Peters show is unbelievably hilarious.

Sweden
Orin wrote:

Nah, this thread is just as useless. As I'm part of the subset of people in this world that aren't U.S. army veterans that are unaware of the fact that the information on their identity cards can indeed be used to identify them, the initial topic of this thread is a total waste of my time. What reasoning is it that justifies dedicating a thread on chipmusic.org to this, that somehow doesn't justify posting any other completely irrelevant and mundane information that is only vaguely interesting to tiny minorities of the world?

It might be interesting to some, but as far as the scope of the site goes, it's irrelevant and useless.

Litebritedeath Land
boomlinde wrote:
Orin wrote:

Nah, this thread is just as useless. As I'm part of the subset of people in this world that aren't U.S. army veterans that are unaware of the fact that the information on their identity cards can indeed be used to identify them, the initial topic of this thread is a total waste of my time. What reasoning is it that justifies dedicating a thread on chipmusic.org to this, that somehow doesn't justify posting any other completely irrelevant and mundane information that is only vaguely interesting to tiny minorities of the world?

It might be interesting to some, but as far as the scope of the site goes, it's irrelevant and useless.

There are many US army vets in the community so it is relevant to a good portion of the members here.  Also the thread was accurately titled so you should have known before you even clicked in that it was a total waste of your time.  There is a distinct difference between useful information that affects a good part of the community and "lol look at this picture" threads.  I don't make music with anything other than a gameboy but I'm not claiming the rest of the sub-threads are a useless waste of my time.  Just because something is not relevant to you does not mean it's not useful to others in his community we all share.

matt's mind

i have mailed out tons of stuff to people at FOBs through the years

and keep a pretty hefty supply of APO/FPO mailing supplies because there is enough of an active military component in this community to justify doing that.  you'd be surprised at the # of people who are either deployed, want a gameboy for their leave, or recently discharged

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
boomlinde wrote:
Orin wrote:

Though I understand your position that this thread is pointless to non-Veterans, I feel it is relevant in a larger sense on several levels.
On the social level, CM.org is a gathering of  people with a shared interest. I feel that sharing concerns and interests outside of this common bond is social interaction that enhances the forum.I don't see too much difference to a 'what's your day job' thread.
On a far larger scope, anyone who enjoys the freedom of being anonymous should be concerned how governments and corporations  handle our personal information. On the whole, CM.org users are technical sauve types so should also be concerned about cyber security. It doesn't matter what demographic you belong to, if your personal data is not safe-guarded you need to be concerned.
Just for myself, I don't read EVERY thread, only the ones that interest ME, so a 'useless off topic' thread in the General forum isn't a major issue to me; but I wouldn't want to see the forums filled with spam either.
Yogi

Sweden
yogi wrote:

On the social level, CM.org is a gathering of  people with a shared interest. I feel that sharing concerns and interests outside of this common bond is social interaction that enhances the forum.I don't see too much difference to a 'what's your day job' thread.

I can appreciate a thread for simply being an interesting discussion, so it's not that at all. At least "what's your day job" provokes somewhat meaningful discussion around that topic, while this basically starts off as plain news aggregation.

yogi wrote:

On a far larger scope, anyone who enjoys the freedom of being anonymous should be concerned how governments and corporations  handle our personal information. On the whole, CM.org users are technical sauve types so should also be concerned about cyber security. It doesn't matter what demographic you belong to, if your personal data is not safe-guarded you need to be concerned.

That sounds like a nice topic for discussion. I wish someone had posted that topic instead of this!

Sweden
sxe_weekend wrote:

There are many US army vets in the community so it is relevant to a good portion of the members here.

I'm sure it is, but is this the relevant site to relay that information? Really, if I wanted to know the details of the U.S. veteran labradors, I'd go to www.va.gov (which clearly states that the card should be safeguarded) and read about it. If I was interested in general U.S. news, I'd go to a U.S. news website.

sxe_weekend wrote:

Also the thread was accurately titled so you should have known before you even clicked in that it was a total waste of your time.

The same goes with spam mail. Just don't click it. It will never ever be a waste of your time.

sxe_weekend wrote:

There is a distinct difference between useful information that affects a good part of the community and "lol look at this picture" threads.

Yes, but is the difference meaningful in the context of chipmusic? Both of them seem completely irrelevant, good intentions aside.

sxe_weekend wrote:

I don't make music with anything other than a gameboy but I'm not claiming the rest of the sub-threads are a useless waste of my time.

Good for you.

sxe_weekend wrote:

Just because something is not relevant to you does not mean it's not useful to others in his community we all share.

My concern is that it is not relevant to the site. My interpretation of what this site is about obviously isn't universal, but I feel like some people would agree that these posts don't really belong here, and that they make this site a less attractive forum for discussing and reading about chipmusic.

Litebritedeath Land
boomlinde wrote:
sxe_weekend wrote:

There are many US army vets in the community so it is relevant to a good portion of the members here.

I'm sure it is, but is this the relevant site to relay that information? Really, if I wanted to know the details of the U.S. veteran labradors, I'd go to www.va.gov (which clearly states that the card should be safeguarded) and read about it. If I was interested in general U.S. news, I'd go to a U.S. news website.

sxe_weekend wrote:

Also the thread was accurately titled so you should have known before you even clicked in that it was a total waste of your time.

The same goes with spam mail. Just don't click it. It will never ever be a waste of your time.

sxe_weekend wrote:

There is a distinct difference between useful information that affects a good part of the community and "lol look at this picture" threads.

Yes, but is the difference meaningful in the context of chipmusic? Both of them seem completely irrelevant, good intentions aside.

sxe_weekend wrote:

I don't make music with anything other than a gameboy but I'm not claiming the rest of the sub-threads are a useless waste of my time.

Good for you.

sxe_weekend wrote:

Just because something is not relevant to you does not mean it's not useful to others in his community we all share.

My concern is that it is not relevant to the site. My interpretation of what this site is about obviously isn't universal, but I feel like some people would agree that these posts don't really belong here, and that they make this site a less attractive forum for discussing and reading about chipmusic.

Maybe you missed the where Kitsch chimed in.  I don't feel like internet battling over opinions.  You obviously have an issue with America in General and regard soldiers as dogs.  I'm far from patriotic but I do realize most soldiers have good intentions and I respect them simply for the fact that they are doing something they choose to do which in effect keeps our government from forcing us to do...